Ranger remort?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Osil
Sojourner

Ranger remort?

Postby Osil » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:13 pm

Here is an idea that would be kind of interesting. Make rangers allowed to remort similar to how the lich does (ie lose some abilites but gain others.) What the ranger could remort into though would be a Deepwoods Sniper or a Wardancer. The Deepwoods Sniper ranger would be a master of Archery. Give them the ability to fire arrows that don't get transferred to the mob and simply stay in their quiver. The mob will only contain the broken ones. They recover their arrows in an abstract manner, or through magic. Or if this is too buff then make the class able to make arrows that are comparible to expensive or hard to get arrows.

Also they would be the masters of luring mobs even able to lure normally unlurable mobs. This may change the dynamic of doing some zones but could be balanced with some tweaks. Also they could have a hide ability similar to but not as good as rogues.

The Wardancer on the other hand would be the master of the two weapon attack. Allow them to wield any weapon in one hand as they level. So this means they can wield two two-handed weapons at once. They do this not through strength but through preternatural balance and expertise in the weapons weight and heft or something.

Also allow them to go into a trance or something where they haste themselves for a limited period of time. This would stack with the spell/procing magic weapon. In this trance they are also able to attack in such a way as to negate a mobs fire/cold shield and possibly breach a mobs protections. You may have to make only elven rangers into this wardancer class though to fit the fluff. But to get around this have a quest involving a powerful druid reincarnate a non-elf ranger into an elf for some reason or another. That way all rangers would be allowed to remort into this class. Or possibly just change the name into Dervish or something like that. What do you folks think?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:42 am

coughpermhasteequipmentcough
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:48 am

ben suggested b4 but with different names... and turned down/ignored try again tho was a good idea
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:31 pm

I think its a good idea, but no need to add new classes, they could just convert to an existing but useful class. They could finally figure out their class is worthless and quest to remort into a druid or warrior. Oh wait this option already exists, just select item 6 in the log on menu.
Lil
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:41 pm

Being serious... :P

Also they would be the masters of luring mobs even able to lure normally unlurable mobs. This may change the dynamic of doing some zones but could be balanced with some tweaks. Also they could have a hide ability similar to but not as good as rogues.

Change that to 'This will break the dynamics of doing most any zone, and could not be balanced with mere tweaks, most zones would need heavy modification'

Wielding 2 two-handed swords would be greatly overpowered - and make no sense either.

What do I think?

Well intentioned maybe, but not thought out.

Basically rangers need an upgrade, but making them remort is not the answer.
Osil
Sojourner

Postby Osil » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:26 am

>Change that to 'This will break the dynamics of doing most any zone, and could not be balanced with mere tweaks, most zones would need heavy modification'

Well at least they will be taken to zones more. ;) Or well I guess this is more of an Everquest type of thing anyway.

>Wielding 2 two-handed swords would be greatly overpowered - and make no sense either.

I don't understand that wielding two two-handed weapons make no sense in a world where a mage can throw meteors at someone. Like I said magic or preternatural training through strange elven masters or something. Also it seems like any upgrade to melee would make it more in line with massive nukes.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:52 am

Lilithelle wrote:I think its a good idea, but no need to add new classes, they could just convert to an existing but useful class. They could finally figure out their class is worthless and quest to remort into a druid or warrior. Oh wait this option already exists, just select item 6 in the log on menu.
Lil

Getting really tired of the pointless comments Lilithelle. :P don't rag on my class, and I won't rag on you about you causing downgrades or zone changes, k?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:32 pm

OMG, never thought i would be saying this, but I agree with Stamm.

Dual wielding 2h weapons? HELLO! yah, super overpowered. well, maybe not as it exists now because 2h weapons have near the same dice in a lot if instances, but wielding somethin like 2 lances of dragonslaying? RIGHT.

As far as luring !lureable mobs... there is a perfectly good reason these mobs don't lure. it's all about balance. I like the idea of perhaps being able to retrieve their arrows in mid-combat, but making their own powerful arrows? once again overpowered.

I do like the idea of remort type things for other classes than just lich, but it's been discussed before, and shot down then too. As soon as melee sees the rest of its balance, i wouldn't be surprised to see rangers get another melee attack or somethin cool like that. also changing bash to trip. I dont want to see this turn into another "ideas to make rangers !suck" thread tho, too many of those already. Best choice is lili's suggestion. option 6.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:59 pm

Or just give them some of the dodging ability of rogues like evasion. Also, do rogues and rangers get the same number of attacks?
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:59 am

I don't like the idea of remorts in general, sets up a system where you have two classes of people. The newer players who probably don't know enough or have the resources to remort and the older players who do and thus get access to the cool classes.

Sorry Arilin, making fun of rangers is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. Rangers are a neat class for some specific applications, like certain soloing TB for example. They'd do well luring in Jot since its outdoors and they have transport via plant and can actually get bashed by trolls while luring and live. Good for luring in zones like SF. They're nice to have in some places, in fights where its not safe to mem out they're doing constant damage when other casters are running dry. Good in fights vs shrugging mobs. The same thing that keeps me from inviting them to zones keeps me from inviting more than one rogue. When zoning its usually the enchanter I'm waiting on to spell up the hitters, so I only take as many as I need and use invokers for damage since they don't need enchanter spell up. Lichs can speed up spell ups but aren't always available. A bit cheesy, but could give rangers haste/globe that would certainly help them get zone invites from me. They could be called something entirely different and be self only. Possibly it could only work when the ranger isn't tank, which would only make it applicable in groups. Since it must be easier to get more attacks if your not worrying about defending yourself. Maybe that could be a ranger innate, they get the number of attacks they would if hasted (not stackable with haste) when not tanking.
Lil
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:28 pm

i find it hilarious that people keep thinking there is something wrong with certain classes...

the problem is the leaders, "i wont take class (x) because (y)". simple solution, learn to lead zones and then go as your ranger or whatever, or roll a new class, there is nothing wrong with rangers, or any class for that matter.

That's like asking for money to be more valuable because you don't have enough. haha!

Wobb
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:39 pm

Wobb, sorry, but rangers are high maintenance in zones. That's Lilithelle's point.

An invoker doesn't need haste or globe. You take them and they do their job.

If you take 3 rangers, then as well as your tanks, and rogue, then your poor enchanter has a lot of extra work to do.

All Lilithelle is saying is hat she picks the classes that will get the zone done in the most efficient way.

I think she's hit on a great idea about haste though.

Rangers having the effects of haste while not tanking is a great idea.

Perhaps have it based on a skill, and at level 50 with max skills a ranger should hit it 80% of the time in combat, this would still mean haste is an advantage for them.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:42 pm

I'd just like the point out that's Lilithelle's leading style, and that Lilithelle's leading style is not everyone's leading style.

I personally love having multiple rangers, rogues, and warriors in groups. I prefer doing things with melee damage over invokers, because I can do a zone faster. The only invoker you'll see in a group lead be me, is me. I'll also take two ghealers over a resser any day of the week. One things for certain, gotta have a bard and a scaler.

But that's just me.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”