A serious ranger idea

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Vandic
Sojourner

A serious ranger idea

Postby Vandic » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:45 am

Maybe something to go along with eliminating or reducing stun effects from spells and helping rangers out a bit.

1. Make kick a ranger only (maybe dires too) skill.

2. Bump the acquisition level up to 30-35.

3. Make the damage on kick higher, maybe 75% or so of the damage warriors get with headbutt.

4. Give kick a small chance to stun or bash the target.

Ranger Dan plants a foot into the chest of Lord Piergeron.
Lord Piergeron falls to his knees, gasping for air.
Lord Piergeron is stunned!

Insert meaningful commentary here.

- the other Vman
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:08 pm

As with many ideas with rangers tweaks, this one suffers from the issue of being a melee upgrade when the focus of rangers is supposed to be ranged (and likewise most ranged tweaks suffer from the issue of ranged just not being worth it to begin with). I would personally love it, but then I'd love anything that lets the class do something proactive in combat instead of always being reactive despite supposedly being a class geared towards offense. But without a clearer direction of where rangers are supposed to go, along with the issues with so much stun already in the game, there's not much room for meaningful commentary yet.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:14 am

Miax's idea for rangers was to have a focus on ranged combat. That certainly doesn't seem to be what the hardcore rangers want or envision for their class.

Unfortunately, rangers are an all around average class and until Melee is revamped evaluating them concisely may well be impossible because of the extreme specialization required for sucessful melee on the mud.
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Teej tells you 'I think they're deliberately outsourcing - trying to improve their genetics.'
Myran
Sojourner

Postby Myran » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:06 am

Skills possibilities

Fire Arrows (uses x mana) arrows do an extra dice in fire damage

Cold Arrows (uses x mana) arrows do an extra dice in cold damage

Acid Arrows (uses x mana) arrows do an extra dice in acid damage

Lightning Arrows (uses x mana) arrows do an extra dice in lightning damage

Acid Arrows (uses x mana) arrows do an extra dice in acid damage

Dark Arrows (uses x mana) arrows do an extra dice in dark damage skill check chance to blind target (max at 25 %)

Vile Arrows (uses x mana) arrows do an extra dice in damage skill check chance to poison target (max at 25 %)

Volley (uses x mana) chance to hit all mobs in room with arrows

quick draw (chance to do one extra attack automatic skill)

Trance (mana regen skill) only usable in nature room
the lich-lord turns and gazes at you wickedly, you freeze in place.
the lich-lord reaches out with a skeletal hand and touches you!
AAAHHHH! You SCREAM in agony, a pain more intense than you have ever felt!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:23 pm

Treladian wrote: I would personally love it, but then I'd love anything that lets the class do something proactive in combat instead of always being reactive despite supposedly being a class geared towards offense.

Personally, I still like my last ranger changing proposal. Entirely meant to make rangers very proactive in combat: http://www.torilmud.dyndns.org:8080/php ... hp?t=13255

No one else seemed to like it though. No other rangers even responded... :(
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:45 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Treladian wrote: I would personally love it, but then I'd love anything that lets the class do something proactive in combat instead of always being reactive despite supposedly being a class geared towards offense.

Personally, I still like my last ranger changing proposal. Entirely meant to make rangers very proactive in combat: http://www.torilmud.dyndns.org:8080/php ... hp?t=13255

No one else seemed to like it though. No other rangers even responded... :(

Belleshel responded :P He = Ranger.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:10 pm

Heh, had just skimmed quickly to see who responded. And his post was so tiny as to be easily missed. ;)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
gimaki
Sojourner

Postby gimaki » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:56 pm

There has been no less than 20 ranger upgrade threads since Soj3 started. There has been a lot of fanastic ideas (trip over bash, outdoor hide, ambush, fury, terrian fighting, ect. Some of your ideas certainly have merit too. Unfortunately none of the threads drew any serious immortal feedback. Without that it's tough to continue with these threads.

So as always we are left on our raft....far out in the ocean....hoping for a current....to swing us by that island with the hot naked elves, I mean ranger upgrades.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:00 pm

I'd say you're more likely to get a ranger upgrade before you get your hands on a hot, naked elf. Hot, naked elves prefer rangers with big upgrades anyway, don'tcha know.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:33 pm

:pout Ashiwi:

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”