mud seige weapons :p

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Ihazim
Sojourner

mud seige weapons :p

Postby Ihazim » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:48 pm

yea :p
ship, cannons, catapults, ballistas, battering rams n stuff
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:31 pm

Do you mean to use as a player? Like mounts?

Or like how Diablo 2 did it and they are basically monsters you have to attack and destroy?
gimaki
Sojourner

Postby gimaki » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:15 pm

There are plenty of these in the game, they just aren't player usable. Nor should they be unless the combat engine was totally recoded and the mud changed dramatically..
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:40 pm

Some of the code is in.

I have seen a troll sail the gloomhaven barge.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:38 pm

gimaki wrote:There are plenty of these in the game, they just aren't player usable. Nor should they be unless the combat engine was totally recoded and the mud changed dramatically..

Can you give some examples? I haven't seen any :(
gimaki
Sojourner

Postby gimaki » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:38 pm

Ballistas all over WD, cannon's on the airship, ect;)
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:26 pm

Aren't they just stagnant room objects tho?

I mean.. you don't actually see mobs using them in some fashion, do you? Do they impact the mud or any of it's mobs/players in anyway? Do they make sounds at all?

Do they do anything other then sit there giving you a room descrip and an object descrip when you look at them?

Can a player damage one? Or fire one? If you are in a room, and a player fires one, will it shoot you/cause the ground to shake from impact or when it's shot? Etc etc..

?+!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:39 pm

You can sell the ammo... I think.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
gimaki
Sojourner

Postby gimaki » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:36 pm

Sesexe wrote:Aren't they just stagnant room objects tho?

?+!

yupe, but whats the point?
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:25 pm

That's exactly what i was getting to. You said they were in the game. But if you can't interact with them, yeah precisely, what's the point? They effectively aren't really in the game, bc they are just paintings on the wall.

If these things were now put into the game and players had a way to interact with them or use them, I think that would be pretty cool.

Back to my original post. How would people like to see these in the game in a way that players could interact with them. Should they be like mounts, where you can sit/ride on them and move them around? Should they be like mobs, where you can attack them and be attacked by them? Etc.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:13 pm

And do what with them? You want to ride a cannon through the streets of Waterdeep? You want to take a ballista on a brisk ride through the countryside? The majority of siege weapons shouldn't be movable by a single player, period... they're HUGE. They're incredibly heavy, and unwieldy in overland battles. A direct hit from them was devastating, and no PC should be able to withstand one successful attack, let alone several rounds.

It would be very interesting to see them utilized in areas, depending on how the scenario was set up, but having one group of 15 trying to manipulate a large weapon of war when there are good odds that only a small percentage of characters would even have any experience with them would seem kind of silly. With a lot of luck you might get a ballista bolt off before being overrun, or maybe even one cannon shot, but reloading would take a long time. Also, with no real experience in large weapons, you'd be lucky if you didn't bean yourself in the head, let alone damage the enemy. I suppose you could RP knowledge of siege engines, but only a very small handful people of the entire population would have any idea how to use them, and if they existed in the game and gave an advantage, suddenly even trolls would be ex-swashbucklers.

It would be fun to see a zone where you get to do something like hold off a perpetual horde of orcs while you use a cannon to bust a hole in the wall of a keep. You'd have to have somebody strong enough to haul the ammunition, and somebody smart enough to figure out the mechanisms, and somebody to keep the mages safe from the orcs. Too bad stamina's not a factor here, because in a fight like that you should really be able to take exhaustion into account.

Oh, and as a side note for cannons... black powder was only in the early stages of discovery in Sojourn's timeline of the FR world, if I remember correctly. I don't remember if they had actual cannons yet, but if they did they should be awfully rare.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:53 pm

When asking if they should be like mounts I meant: as an object that is in the game you can interact with, but can't put into your inventory or wield it, YET you can interact with it in some way other then simply looking at it, and it has the possibility of changing locations either by your actions or someone elses.

You wouldn't 'ride' a ballista bolt or a cannon. Geez! What kinda sick fantasy is that?

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”