Permadeath

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Eshacin
Sojourner

Permadeath

Postby Eshacin » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:49 pm

How about one or both of:

a) there being a limit to how often a char can be ressed (say 100 times)

b) quests for really cool items which carry a significant chance of permanent death. Should probably be a class-specific quest which can (should) be soloed. The reward should be commensurate with the risk *and* bound to the char that wins it - no hand downs or auctioning.
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:11 pm

Would there be an inheiritence code then? Or do you lose all your gear?
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:22 pm

I think you'd lose it: corpse rots and eq crumbles away.

On b) - put the quest in a zone that only one char (of correct class) at a time can enter. Any time it's completed the item to be gained should be changed so they are truly unique. Got to give an incentive that makes the risk worthwhile :)

Also any char only ever get ones chance at the quest - either win or die
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:25 pm

Actually wouldn't you still pop in your training hall after the death and then when they try to rezz, you get a warning stating that the next time you die you will not recover at all. That way we could put our affairs in order and move into the WD retirement home? That'd be kind of cool.

Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:43 pm

Hey guys,

A long time ago when you failed ress, you could loose a CON point. Think it was random. So with lower CON your chances on a successful ress decreased. Eventually your CON could get so low that you almost never made a ress again. (See Glaman the Troll Shaman on Toril 1).

Folks didn't seem to like that at all, so it was eventually pulled.

I'd be scared to loose more con. I barely have any as it is! Eep! :o
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:07 pm

The reward for me to risk my character because of perm death would have to be so powerful that it would throw the game out of balance if I succeeded.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:19 pm

A Human (HARDCORE) stands here.
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:48 pm

I have to agree with the Con loss idea on ress. That was a great way to force retirement on characters. I remember I have long lists and a schedule for people wanting a rod ress (it was !fail).
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:19 am

Very early in this wipe there was still that chance (might have gone away at Alpha). Anyway, until I got a definitive answer (and the spell myself) I never got ressed. If the CON drain were in, I wouldn't ress ever. 25% xp is better than -50hp. If there were a limit on resses, I wouldn't get one.

BTW there are people who are over 1000 resses at this point.
Ashod
Sojourner

Postby Ashod » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:29 am

Hardcore rules would rock..
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:30 am

how's this for hard core. You die and yer dead! roll a new char! :p yeah i know i'm not the one to post that since i die so much :p
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:49 am

if anything we should have a hardcore option not have it implimented for every one... firsty mori group would wipe out half the mud
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:39 am

Sesexe wrote:Hey guys,

A long time ago when you failed ress, you could loose a CON point. Think it was random. So with lower CON your chances on a successful ress decreased. Eventually your CON could get so low that you almost never made a ress again. (See Glaman the Troll Shaman on Toril 1).

Folks didn't seem to like that at all, so it was eventually pulled.

I'd be scared to loose more con. I barely have any as it is! Eep! :o

glaman's char was crappy because he rolled it that way.

Also, Eshacin, do you even have a lvl 50? This is idea would basically force high level players to do mindless exp AGAIN.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:34 pm

Dalar wrote:Also, Eshacin, do you even have a lvl 50? This is idea would basically force high level players to do mindless exp AGAIN.

Not quite. I'm well acquainted with mindless xp though :)
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:30 pm

What if the stats were based with decimals? Such a Con of 94.00 and a Str of 92.00 and these are Natural stats not inflated by EQ. Then when you die you take a hit randomly on a stat of .01 regardless of ress. It isn't that great of a penalty but it could add up.

Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:02 pm

Dalar wrote:glaman's char was crappy because he rolled it that way.

Never said he didn't. He had a 50 something Con (like me) when he started the char, and it was 26 or below when Mystra reset it. Kthnxbye.
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:15 am

i believe mystra also posted he rolled his as bad and he had been playing w/ it the whole time
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kordon
Sojourner

decimaled stats

Postby Kordon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:51 pm

i think grizz's idea of having the decimaled stats could just work, it would really suck for some of the people who die just for fun, but if you've died enough that you do take loose a couple of points in any area, you should be by then, of a level signifigant enought to have eq to make up for that loss. So all in all i think it should be inplemented :lol:
Kordon
Sojourner

Postby Kordon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:51 pm

i think grizz's idea of having the decimaled stats could just work, it would really suck for some of the people who die just for fun, but if you've died enough that you do take loose a couple of points in any area, you should be by then, of a level signifigant enought to have eq to make up for that loss. So all in all i think it should be inplemented
Kordon
Sojourner

Postby Kordon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:53 pm

I think grizz's idea of having the decimaled stats could just work, it would really suck for some of the people who die just for fun, but if you've died enough that you do take loose a couple of points in any area, you should be by then, of a level signifigant enought to have eq to make up for that loss. So all in all i think it could work

-kordon
AKA Kuggog Wanderer
Kordon
Sojourner

Postby Kordon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:55 pm

sorry for posting 3 times like that, i'm new at the posting thing :lol:
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:04 am

What about all the n00bs who die a lot while figuring the game out? Are they going to get to level 45 and suddenly realize that they've lost a notch in one stat, and want to reroll? Is it just generally going to make people have even more of a bad taste in their mouth when dying?
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:55 pm

moritheil wrote:What about all the n00bs who die a lot while figuring the game out? Are they going to get to level 45 and suddenly realize that they've lost a notch in one stat, and want to reroll? Is it just generally going to make people have even more of a bad taste in their mouth when dying?

That kind of depends on the mindset of the player, doesn't it? I lost two points of con early in the wipe due to failed resses at lower levels, which put me below my maximum con notch. Now I have to make sure I wear +con gear. In spite of that, there's no way I'd re-roll, but I've known several people who have have re-rolled at 45+. Then again, I bonded with the one character and preferred to stick with it, while others enjoy leveling a lot of chars up.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:21 pm

moritheil wrote:What about all the n00bs who die a lot while figuring the game out? Are they going to get to level 45 and suddenly realize that they've lost a notch in one stat, and want to reroll? Is it just generally going to make people have even more of a bad taste in their mouth when dying?

Many people don't stick with their first incarnation of their character anyhow. Some are just trying out the class and such. Then they get serious about it.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”