Ocean fly/swim?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
selerial
Sojourner

Ocean fly/swim?

Postby selerial » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:59 am

Here I am, standing around at the Chionthar ferry wearing a set of wings, but the ferry just left and I can't go one room south to board it..

This gave me an idea.. we already have a "swim" skill.. maybe we could have a "fly" skill, whereby when a person is skilled enough, they can fly across oceans.. perhaps even in "confined" rooms (sorta like how Paladins can mount indoors now).

Alternately, swim really isn't used for much, perhaps we could just allow someone that's *really* good at swimming to go in to the ocean? Seems like there's a lot of real estate that could be made use of if we could just get there..

As for the "fly" skill itself, it wouldn't allow you to just flap your hands and lift off. Basically it would only have any sort of effect while you were flying.. there seems to be a decent amount of fly gear, not to mention chanters, that I think the skill would get a decent amount of use.
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:10 am

I like it (who doesn't hate waiting for ferrys etc :)

To balance it out if the weather turns inclement and a storm starts up while out on the ocean then you start to take "drowning damage".
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:59 am

or each room u move takes a considerable amount of movement points and you could end up drowning if u run out of moves.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:44 pm

there used to be a code that if you got a raft a sextant and a compass you could go sailing... not any more tho... but you can still highjack certain ships and pilot them around.

like the realms mist the silver lady and i think the pirate ship as a few examples. if we could bring theis back i think it would add a whole new flavor to the mud that not many others have... piracy..
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:09 pm

I think it should bring more to the game than just transportation.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:09 pm

Oof! You bump into the Chionthar Ferry!

recl

You gag, unable to breath!

grumble

You grumble.

mutter

You mutter.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:23 pm

I think transport is already way too easy. Next step would just be to give all players the goto/tele commands and we could be one of those muds with blinking ansi.....
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
muma
Sojourner

this would make a lot of sense

Postby muma » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:23 am

It would make a lot of sense to be able to fly over oceans, seen as you are floating in mid-air when you fly.

Why not just make it, that you will drown if you run out of the fly spell, etc.
There could also be gear, like a paper boat, or those boots, that could help you float too.

Also i thought it would also be neat if there were horse rides, you know, ones where the horse just leads you and ya don't need to drive it. or i mean, horse and buggy rides. that way you could get on the buggy, and go to the bathroom or somethin.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Larble
Sojourner

Postby Larble » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:39 pm

*cough* Boots of water walking

Must be freshwater only.....the saline content of the oceans undermines the powerful gravity-defying magicks of this and many other items.

:lol:
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:24 pm

Nevermind the fact that oceans are vast, endless bodies of water that are ever changing. Or the fact that sailors are trained for years in the science of navigation. Also forget the numerous detailed maps that ships carry in order to help them find their way through great blue sea.

Let's just go fly across it, 'cause, you know, we don't need no landmarks or points of reference or nuffin'.
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:03 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Nevermind the fact that oceans are vast, endless bodies of water that are ever changing. Or the fact that sailors are trained for years in the science of navigation. Also forget the numerous detailed maps that ships carry in order to help them find their way through great blue sea.

Let's just go fly across it, 'cause, you know, we don't need no landmarks or points of reference or nuffin'.

Suggestion
Really small chance that you actually go the right way.
Small chance that you go a different way
Rest that you go around in circles (ie You don't move, but you still expend movement points)

Perhaps a tiny modifier if you have the compass and sextant, but not too much.
Sesexe
Sojourner

Postby Sesexe » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:58 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Nevermind the fact that oceans are vast, endless bodies of water that are ever changing. Or the fact that sailors are trained for years in the science of navigation. Also forget the numerous detailed maps that ships carry in order to help them find their way through great blue sea.

A ferry can cross an ocean?
Asup group-says 'who needs sex ed when you got sesexe.'
Targsk group-says 'sexedse'
mount dragon
You climb on and ride Tocx'enth'orix, the elder black dragon.
You have learned something new about mount!

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”