Innate Darkness

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Futaz
Sojourner

Innate Darkness

Postby Futaz » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:47 am

I saw an Illithid using a globe of darkness to allow those with Ultravision to see in the light. The drow have the innate ability darkness which causes darkness for a short time and no one not even those with Ultravision can see.

I propose a change to the darkness ablity to function similar to the Globe a darkness with the following modifications. It should be stationary and last longer. The time frame should last long enought for the cast to reuse the ablility again when the darkness quits. Something like how the levitate ablility works.
Futaz Ul'Saruk de'Dubluth Kyor
Mertak
Sojourner

Postby Mertak » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:09 am

Ultravision allows people to see in exceptionally low light levels, but it still requires light, and darkness, both the spell and innate skill, is intended to utterly and completely block all light. True to the FR origin, noone can see in Darkness, it's used more as a way to get away, or for those with blindfighting, to tip the balance against those without it.

But I'll admit, even knowing the FR origin, I always thought it would have been a nice way to let drow see, momentarily, on the surface. But Ultravision is intended to be a serious impediment when on the surface in daylight, just as it's a real boon to functioning underground.

Just my thoughts, since I hoped I could respond nicely. 8)

Cheers,

Mertie, et al.
Vena
Sojourner

Postby Vena » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:14 pm

darkness as implemented is very true to dnd stories and I dont think it should or needs to be changed.

It is very useful as is as an ultravision may not be able to "see" you but you can be a relo/shift target if your darked. This is a huge help in addressing transportation issues.

Also there are some nice twinks that are possible because of darkness.
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:39 pm

Changing darkness to that will affect how mudsex0r gets conducted. And drow elves are the sexiest btw.
Burmadapig
Sojourner

Postby Burmadapig » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 am

Innate darkness is magic darkness as opposed to regular darkness. It is by design that no one can see in it. All you have to do is read the Dark Elf Trilogy to discover why. It is correct according to DnD as implemented and should remain as is.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”