signed notes

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
kiryan
Sojourner

signed notes

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:19 pm

Jhorr's suggestion.

it would be nice if there was some way to verify the authencity of a note.

one application could be something to the effect of a leader handing out "bid tokens" which could be saved up over time and presented during splits.

Since its a note whatever you want could be written on it.

e.g.
awarded to Ashiwi for 3 points (1 av, 1 bc, 1 bel)

2 bc points.

along with this, we need char storage limits looked at because 100 long notes will overload your character file faster than you can imagine. I would suppose that an item takes up something like 1 byte in your pfile because its a number referencing an object, but a note is stored as 1 byte per character in your pfile. 1 note could easily take up more space than 200 items.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:28 pm

The option for a date and time stamp on the note that can't be counterfeited might be all that is required. Maybe make it with some ANSI that can't be reproduced by a PC?

Then on future trips, the leader can announce something like 'bid tokens from 2/24/05 and 3/6/05 will be honored...'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:37 pm

Or some kind of tick system where you can assign a tick to another player, and it keeps track of it in a personal list for you, as well as a list for the player who got the ticks, along with the date they were assigned.

It would kind of be a cross between an mmail you could check your sent mails on, and the trophy list.

It would be a system that the leader could not alter, once the ticks were assigned, nor could the other players hedge, as the ticks would be viewable for both assignor and assignee. The part that I'm not sure about is the best way to remove ticks from the lists of both players.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:20 pm

Hmm...if you don't trust the person who's leading, don't go with them. It's as simple as that. This is a social issue, we don't need hard coded proof.

Even if you do trust them, accept that they sometimes make mistakes. Case in point - I have had five no-win seelie runs with Lilithelle since I started (never gonna win that damn staff :) However, last time we finished SC at the bidding she informed me that I had 4 no-win runs marked down. I said it should be five, and she admitted that there was a run a while back that she forgot to note down. *shrug* fair enough - everyone makes mistakes. Point is that if I didn't trust her to do the bidding fairly, I'd simply not have gone with her, and wouldn't go again. As it is, I just put it down to rum luck and am waiting for the next run.

Oh, LF: unquested seelie staff, will trade lots for it :P

-shalath
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:56 pm

Or, you could just mwrite yourself saying "Ashiwi lost a bid so she gets a bid token blah blah blah".
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
rer
Sojourner

Postby rer » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:24 am

Or just post it on your Guild BBS.

Or just put it in Notepad.

So many options exist...
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:01 pm

Or mforward should work so that you 100% can tell from a mail that is was originally sent by someone.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:54 pm

when i loan gear out i make the recpient mudmail me stating that they are borrowing my eq. that way if theres ever an issue, i'd have some sort of documentation to assist on any collection efforts.

theres a lot of things you could do with notes if they could be stored (without overloading your pfile) and if you could verify authencity. Try to think outside the specific application I posted as an example and look at the other potential applications or simply evaluate the idea on its merit.
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:27 am

It has possibilities -- I've given some thought ot this already, but someone else posted it first.

* Markers for groups/Favors/Trading/Debts, as mentioned

* Contracts for which the mmail solution is ill suited.

* Just being able to sign messages

* Signed Warnings dropped in a room (Note at spine -- "Malice/Yeti loose!") or "This zone done!" (possibilities for abuse w/o a date hard-coded)

* As part of the founding of a guild, could draft a copy on the sheet of paper of a charter (no longer required, but could be a good touch) and then signed by the founders

The signing, assuming that the use of color is not available for people to add on their own, could simply be the result of a 'who' command, complete with title, level, and such.

One other command and perhaps a mob could be added -- "tear up" (similar to 'pour <container> out' would be "tear <paper> up" which would destroy the document) and "copy" (the province of a scribe in the cities for a small fee, say 1p-10p or so)
Thanuk OOC: 'thats 6 years of hard work, come to fruitition in 1 single statement'
Was Felton Orm the "Wizard of Auz" ?

Lorsalian Silvermist -- Seeker of the Complete MUD Cookkit
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:47 pm

We need a notary!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:39 pm

Disoputlip wrote:Or mforward should work so that you 100% can tell from a mail that is was originally sent by someone.

Somebody sent me a message the other day :(
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:48 pm

I am a notary IRL. In the game, however, my agent refused to bond me... Imagine that.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”