Anon = !Clair

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Do you think turning on anon should make you un-clairable?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 37
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Anon = !Clair

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:52 pm

As we were discussing on GCC just a sec ago. Folks didn't like being clair'd and not knowing who was claring.
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:54 pm

I feel that any PC should be clairable. If you can do a "who" on the person, you can clair them, whether or not they are anon.

I think the way it is now is just fine
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:01 pm

I'm for this, but furthermore, you need to address the following:

1. guilded chars cant go anon
2. you also need a way to prevent people from relocating/welling/shifting/holing to you.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Grumdikanikus
Sojourner

Postby Grumdikanikus » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:09 pm

If you don't know the person exists then you can't clair them. But since everyone pretty much knows everyone else you have to be allowed to clair them.

Unless you implement the Finger command like on other muds that allow you to see when a person last logged on. I figure that sometimes the Clair spell is just used to see if So and So is online.

BUt we know that's not the only reason people use it.

I hope that's clear and mud now!

GRummy
Grumdikanikus
Sojourner

Postby Grumdikanikus » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:11 pm

They could create an Item that's No Clair for the wearer though. That could be fun.

Just another thought. Since I don't do that often enough.

Grummy
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:24 pm

No, don't do that.

Otherwise, how else will I spy on Lilira? :D
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:04 am

I have always been under the impression that anon is more for rp than for gameplay. To allow anon status to make you !clair is more of a gameplay change, imo.

The only good example I can think of right now is for arena. Clair can theoretically be used "offensively" there, such that just being able to tog anon might be beneficial. I'm sure there are other examples outside arena.

Also, tying the ability to clair someone to anon status is problematic. It would be one thing if you could tog clair-ability (a spell or item as suggested earlier would be better), but what if I want to be clair-able -and- anon?

On a side note, making anon and lfg a little more complex would be cool. For instance, it would be nice to be able to tog anon as a guild member. Also, it would be nice to be able to tog lfg if I'm grouped with my spirit, but looking for something else.

And I forgot to add...it would also be cool if there was a chance to detect someone casting clair on the room you are in. Not really sure how that could work, but it might solve some of the annoyance mentioned at the beginning of the thread.
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:40 am

Planewalkers on homeland had a spell that made you !CLAIR, sort of.

c 'false vision' -- when someone tried to clair you or someone in your party (same room with you), you would get another room altogether.

Would fit right in with the illusionist line of work.
V
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:24 am

Sequester.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:41 am

Shevarash wrote:Sequester.

As Shev has pointed out, Sequester does make you unclairable.

As was pointed out in the GCC discussion, sequester also makes anyone unable to teleport/relocate/dim/summon you either. This is NOT the same thing as the thread is discussing. Here we imply, while anon, you are simply !clair. Not !relo !shadow walk !dim, etc.

As Shev did not point out, sequester is only castable by one class in the game, illusionists.

And as was pointed out by folks on GCC, Klandan I think, this makes your actions for privacy dependent on another person, effectively killing the privacy/secrecy you were hoping to attain in the first place by going !clair.

It should be mentioned that a lot of people on the GCC discussion, did in fact like the idea of some way of having a change to telll who was clairing you.

Personally, I'm not exactly sure why the clair message was put in recently, other then making people paranoid. Let folks have a chance of knowing who's doing it, or remove the message.
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:53 am

If your tuned to the magic weave, you have a chance to detect when there is a spell being directed at you from afar. At least that is how it is in D&D. I can see it being a problem if warriors could tell they were getting claired for instance without magical aid but not a caster class.
Click on the links below and vote for this mud!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topm ... gi?id=shev
The Mud Connector: http://www.mudconnect.com/cgi-bin/vote_ ... ner's+Home
MudMagic (aka Kyndig): http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/609
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:50 am

Clair is useful to see what people are doing for groups and stuff. If someone knows you are on anon, and you don't wan't them clairing you which isn't intrusive, they will prolly just send you a tell instead. Clair is cool for seeing what people are twinking aswell!
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:06 pm

I use clair with a good deal of regularity, and usually it's just that I'm curious what people are up to. It's sort of like exploring without having to be there physically. But beyond that I don't usually do anything unless I'm clairing someone that I have a good deal of familiarity with, at which point I might comment to them on what they're doing, or whatever.

So, as a self-professed vouyer, I'm sort of curious why people would want to be unclairable.. the topic doesn't explain that. I understand that people like their privacy in the real world, but I'd consider such rights to be somewhat difficult to translate to and/or enforce in a privately owned game.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:01 pm

The main reason I would want to be unclairable at certain times is for quest purposes, especially those that require dropping items in specific rooms.

Oh, but I don't see any reason for making anon people !clair, really.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:09 pm

Ashiwi, yer not allowed to be !clair, i like spying on nekkid elves! :p

Pril
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:28 pm

Mmmmmm naked elves.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:28 pm

Re-reading the post I realized that apparently a message is sent to the person being claired now? I guess people don't care that much about what I'm doing because I've never seen it. Eh, I guess that's a little weird, but I still think it really shouldn't be an especially big deal.

I think people that want to be private should be forced to sit in Trollbark for a week or so, that ought to cure them of the "someone is looking at you" jitters. ;+)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:54 pm

Awwww Pril, that's so sweet. If you lived in Oklahoma I'd leave my curtains open for you...

and rat traps under my windowsill.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:08 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Awwww Pril, that's so sweet. If you lived in Oklahoma I'd leave my curtains open for you...

and rat traps under my windowsill.

Gooseberry pie cooling on the windowsil I hope?
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:21 am

two things

how am i supposed to steal rares if people are !clair when anon?

and the second

thanks for deleting my post!
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”