Teleporter system

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
kiryan
Sojourner

Teleporter system

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:07 pm

Lets imp a fee based teleporter system for plat. say 100 plat during normal hours of operation and 250 plat for an after hours call. Discounted rate for mid levels and free under level 20 during normal business hours. Install teleporters at well traveled locations like major destinations. Not all teleporters have to be 2 way.

it would create another plat sink.

it would make more areas of the mud more accessible to people.

-----

we've talked about getting people to explore. i'd be willing to bet that if you imp a transporter system the # of places the average person can walk to different will increase by 100% in 3 months. The reason why is that it won't be walking 300 rooms and resting up 150 moves, it'll be paying 100 p and walking 100 rooms. It'll give people new "bases" to explore outwards from.

How many people have explored menzo? How many would explore menzo if there was a teleporter to it. (please note, I am not suggesting every city have a 2 way teleporter and not suggesting menzo have any 2way teleporters, only where it makes sense like from waterdeep to bg for sure perhaps bg to zk)

----

Thilindel wrote:
I think Kiryan's idea has much merit. WD and other towns have the magician that casts fly, etc on players for a fee. Rather than the label 'teleporter', just have a NPC druid well to another NPC of a different town for said fee.

I responded:
i'd prefer to see mages operating some sort of magical teleporting device... druids whoring themself out to well people for money all day long doesn't seem quite right. also wouldnt probably work so well for some locations (like any evil race towns). i suppose a combination of the two would be fine.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:54 pm

phenominal idea. This would keep the PC druids from getting spammed with requests for wells too. The cost would need to be significant, but not incredibly high. As kiryan stated, all destinations wouldn't be an option. perhaps just places that are generally neutral. and some sort of a goodrace/evilrace check that makes it so ogres can't teleport to WD from BG or anything like that. Otherwise, WD, BG, VT, CP, ZK, maybe the bloodstone replacement, etc. could all be good destinations. Would allow for more
movement, and easier CR's if you're far far away from home, but at a price.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:19 pm

You know, I'd actually support this, as long as there aren't too many. Maybe they should be put outside the main cities? One some distance away from WD, one somewhere between CP and DK, one in BG?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:33 pm

I'd prefer for the sites to be in major cities or right outside of major cities. Unless you wanted to make it some sort of clan/monk brotherhood organization with some not so remote locations.

If you move them too far from cities, then you lose the exploration "base" concept and it becomes more of a shortcut when running.

I suggest that the teleporters have some pre-scheduled activations say at 9am and 4pm for a discounted rate as well as a normal business hour rate, an after hours rate, and discounted rates for low level folks. And you could charge by the pound on the goody side (to maintain a reason why shipping and other logistics don't use teleporters). You could also work fatigue into it and staffing levels so it would be cheaper to leave a major destination (more staff, less individual fatigue) but more expensive to come in from a remote local (with 1 staff) especially when he's already done 5 teleports that morning.

Can we make it a "ring" system so i can pretend I'm on stargate sg1 (the best tv show evar).
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:10 am

Mmm.. how about caravans that regularly travel between cities? It'd let players both feel safe while traveling, as well as allowing them to see the route should they wish to walk it themselves?

It'd also be nice if major routes between cities were better defined. Routes between cities should be "roads" all the way through, and the room names and descriptions should follow that AND greatly contrast from colors and titles used "off the road".
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:29 pm

Good ideas Teflor! I really like both ideas. Showing how to walk to places is better than beaming us to them. And clear paths would be nice touch. Anyone knows trying to explain to a newbie barb how to get to WD knows the frustration level that bring. I have seen newbies quit here just based on the fact they can't walk from GN to WD.
Meatshield
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:10 am

Zone Runner had a transit system where you could ride the Bus to other cities, in addition to being able to buy or steal other cars. Was really a neat feature. Although on this mud you couldn't see the route being taken, as the vehicle was its own room . You could look out of as it moved (They moved pretty quick though). Park you caravan but don't forget the Club less you find your caravan in some ditch with bottles of Mead in the back.

The ability to piolt your own caravan could be cool too, you could drive your group to places - as well as run your own little caravan service.
Would need to make caravans pricy and subject to repairs, etc or make it so it doesnt protect you from aggro mobs along the way - also should limit it to roadways, but that goes without saying.

I personally wish mounts served more function in this mud. Its really pointless right now for any class short of the classes that use mounted combat.

As for the Teleporter scenario - I propose they be little gnomes that fire you out of a giant cannon to places like the water palace!
fotex
Sojourner

Postby fotex » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:33 am

How about if there were more airships landing in more odd places? That would probably be easier to implement.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun May 01, 2005 4:20 am

robots the movie.

in all seriousness, the clarification of roads is a good idea teflor.

eliminating the agros on the roads would probably go a long ways.

the insta teleporting thing might be a dumbing down of the game to a degree, but getting the population to actually use caravans might be a bit of a stretch...

the point is to get people to leave wd and to sink plat right? there is a boat to ms, who goes to ms to explore or exp? I just don't think land "ships" / caravans would be used.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun May 01, 2005 4:28 am

Kiryan's right about the caravans, even if it is a good idea. There are ships that go from WD to BG to CP... anybody use them? At least there used to be, I wouldn't know if they still do, since I can walk it SO much faster. If I could tele from WD to CP, I know I'd certainly waste the plats.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun May 01, 2005 4:36 am

I also think the caravas have other benefits.

They're unfixed but predictable elements on the mud that would add color and flavor to the game. They could become parts of quests, carry into RP as well as become a sort of teleporter system. Caravans can move faster or slower. Caravans that moved faster than people tend to walk routes would actually be used, particularly if they are user initializable. (ie, a stage coach, pay x plats, get to x town.)

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”