Feats?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Marrus
Sojourner

Feats?

Postby Marrus » Mon May 02, 2005 10:31 am

Ok, partial credit for this goes gura wank because he was asking what's available these days in DnD to make wielding a two-handed weapon worthwhile.

Anyway, basic idea is this: Why not implement 3rd edition's feat system as quests starting with various melee type feats. This would make warrior's customizable and much more fun to play. You could tie feats into prestige too. The more prestige you have, the more total feats you char may have (or just tie it directly to exp perhaps). And just like feats in 3rd edition, you have base feats with no prerequisites followed by higher tier feats that require other feats or other things to be able to quest them etc.

Eventually you could branch out the feats to so that other classes could use them to (3rd edition has feats for all classes.)

Anyhow, just a thought.
Areandon
Sojourner

Postby Areandon » Mon May 02, 2005 12:56 pm

What the hell are feats? Enlighten me :)
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon May 02, 2005 3:19 pm

Special skills that you can customize your character with after rolling...I believe it's from a pool of points you have available? Don't quote me on that, I've never messed with 3E and haven't done pen&paper in 6 years. :P
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon May 02, 2005 4:53 pm

Areandon wrote:What the hell are feats? Enlighten me :)

Yew put a pear of shoos on a pear of feats!
Marrus
Sojourner

Postby Marrus » Mon May 02, 2005 7:15 pm

Ok, for those who don't know what a feat is let me quote the 3rd ed. player's handbook, "A feat is a special feature that either gives your character a new capability or improves one he or she already has. [...] Unlike a skill, a feat has no ranks. A character either has the feat or does not."

Characters start out with two feats and gain a feat every three levels starting at 3rd level. I think this progression should obviously be modified for Toril since 3rd edition is tailored for characters between 1-20 levels, after that the game requires a new set of rules blah blah. So, perhaps on Toril you should be eligible to quest a new feat every 8 levels, say.

Part of the beauty of the feat system in 3rd edition is the HUGE range of choices available, and since it is impossible for any one character to have all feats the result is a much more diverse character population.

Some example feats from 3rd edition:

Power Attack - Basically this subtracts the number of attacks you deal in a round in favor of making those attacks you DO make more powerful in proportion. I would suggest that in the mud it also greatly ups the chance of getting a crit (and thus proccing).

Cleave - If you deal enough damage to make your target drop you get an immediate extra attack against another creature in the immediate area. Only useable once per/round. Requires Power Attack as a prerequisite.

Great Cleave - Cleave as a prerequisite. Like Cleave but without the 1/round limit.

Run - In essence you move 4 times as fast as normal. In mud terms it could increase your move pool by some multiple

Improved Rescue - Ok, I just made this one up. Basically, rescue + an attack on the mob that you rescue against! :)

Spell Penetration - (My impetus for this whole idea is improving melee-based chars, but the idea is easily extendable to all classes) In mud terms this feat would reduce MR resistance some % against your spells innately.

Toughness - Gives you character some permanent HP bonus (50 hp?)

[Cant think of a name!] - Ok, another made up feat that maybe someone else can name. This feat would grant your char the ability to change eq while engaged in combat! ooooooh! :)

Great Fortitude - In DnD this gives you an innate bonus on Fortitude saving throws. Perhaps in the mud this would translate to sv_para? sv_petri? Mmmmm, sv_petri for a naked tank!

Alertness - Makes you tougher to backstab, say!

Deflect Arrows - You can deflect incoming shot or thrown weapons

[Another, nameless, made up feat!] - When wielding a two-handed weapon you have a small chance of stunning/knocking down an opponent on each successful attack. Requires Power Attack feat.

Ok. So hopefully you guys get the idea. Frankly, feats were one of the really kickass inventions of 3rd edition that got me interested in pen and paper RP again. The freshness and novelty of it implemented in a mud as a quest system would be really cool, imo. I know of no other mud that could make that claim.
Marrus
Sojourner

Postby Marrus » Mon May 02, 2005 7:30 pm

Hmmm! More feat ideas!

Cat Eyes - Particularly useful for humans. This feat grants you normal vision in any lowlight situation (cloudless night with moon/stars)

[Another names feat I made up] - When wielding a two-handed weapon you have a chance of stunning/knocking down your opponent (perhaps on crit?). Requires Power Attack as a prerequisite.

Haggle - Gives you a bonus in all buy/sell situations. Requires a minimum 85 charisma.

Bleed - BC mobs do it to us! lets return the favor!

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”