Add a couple of utility spells to ranger.

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
kiryan
Sojourner

Add a couple of utility spells to ranger.

Postby kiryan » Wed May 18, 2005 10:48 pm

Can rangers get cure blind and remove poison?

Remove poison because of theme.

Cure blind because you cant archer when you can't see your quiver. They can already cure blind themselves via dispel magic self, but it doesnt hurt to ask.
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Re: Add a couple of utility spells to ranger.

Postby Lorsalian » Wed May 18, 2005 11:15 pm

kiryan wrote:Can rangers get cure blind and remove poison?

Remove poison because of theme.

Cure blind because you cant archer when you can't see your quiver. They can already cure blind themselves via dispel magic self, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

The real question is could quivers (like all other items in the dark) be able to be held and removed (and thus be able to see the quiver to fire in the dark), and to regain remove poison. It was removed at about the same time as minor creation, create food were removed, and forage/carve was added. No need to give ability to cure other's blind, nor create a special spell for self-only. I think I do need a reminder of how the removal of remove poison was balanced/justified.

The other consideration would be to perhaps allow blindfighting to figure in in being able to engage an unseen target (with perhaps a lag on fail, but I think the lag would need to be used sparingly).
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 19, 2005 6:35 pm

well that would be interesting. having blind fighting at a high skill allow you to continue archering with no penalty... I think cure blind or self only cure blind would be a more realistic option.

firing arrows with a higher chance of having them go wayard would not be a good thing so please dont even go down that road.
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Thu May 19, 2005 8:49 pm

Blindfighting WITH ranged?
Sure why not. Now please excuse me while I step over here. 4 rooms away and past at least one corner.

Self-cure makes more sense IMO. Continuing to fire in the dark, if allowed would be just wasteful & totally unrealistic. Further, if they did choose to implement that, I'd be for allowing the misfires to damage allies just to prove the point. :D
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Thu May 19, 2005 11:01 pm

Nekelet wrote:Blindfighting WITH ranged?
Sure why not. Now please excuse me while I step over here. 4 rooms away and past at least one corner.

<-- Maxxed blindfighting at 85

Why not?
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Fri May 20, 2005 4:46 pm

Blindfighting melee makes perfect sense - you are standing within striking distance. Judging the targets position and determining if something is between you and the target is accomplished both via sound AND touch.

With ranged, your only (well primary) cue for targeting is sound. Sure, you know exactly where the battle noise is, but how do you determine if you should delay a shot until that sneaky halfling finishes circling the target? Is your sense of smell so refined that you can pick up the odor of those fuzzy feet? What about the cleric who bathed this year.
I'm not saying you can't make a reasonable aim judgement based soley on cues other than sight. I AM saying that determining what might be in the flight path seems unlikely. Picking the angle to fire from, and the moment to fire to clear obstacles is a big piece of any ranged combat. Wouldn't you agree?

Just doesn't seem at all realistic to me to be able to do so blind (even in a fantasy setting - lets not get that debate going.) Take it for what it's worth.. :D
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 20, 2005 8:05 pm

That old ranger came to Drizzt's rescue with blind archery!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri May 20, 2005 8:17 pm

Yeah, but he had an owl(?) to guide his shots. . .

There's an idea, give them blind archery, but only if they have tamed a bird to bring along (I'd love to see the feathers fly on an area though!)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 20, 2005 10:21 pm

its a poor idea imo, thats why i suggested cure blind instead =).

course I suppose its a good idea to have some sort of negative to archery.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”