Leuthilspar suggestion

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Lilira
Sojourner

Leuthilspar suggestion

Postby Lilira » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:57 pm

With the introduction of Scardale, its a little easier to get coinage.

Not being able to leave the Island til after 20th isn't quite as difficult as it used to be. However, you have elves with cash.

My suggestion is to please place an auctioneer in Leuthilspar. Pretty, pretty please?

:-)
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:21 am

How about putting one in scarsdale, but not in the main town... add something maybe by the dragons or something that has an auction house. This way all newbies have access to it
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:08 am

That's some good stinkin..er, thinkin! I'm all for it. Where's the elven luvins!? Only thing to do is make an alt to level 3 just to sit at bg and bid. Rather annoying :P
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Re: Leuthilspar suggestion

Postby Lorsalian » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:36 pm

Lilira wrote:With the introduction of Scardale, its a little easier to get coinage.

Not being able to leave the Island til after 20th isn't quite as difficult as it used to be. However, you have elves with cash.

My suggestion is to please place an auctioneer in Leuthilspar. Pretty, pretty please?

:-)

Can only see two arguments against.

First, that such would introduce a bunch of eq not gainable on the island. This argument carries little weight, since there are other ways such can enter.

The second is that this becomes the equivalent of caravens of weapons and armor entering Evermeet, which would be disliked from an RP perspective.

OKay, only one reason. If that turns out to not be a factor .. *shrug*
Thanuk OOC: 'thats 6 years of hard work, come to fruitition in 1 single statement'
Was Felton Orm the "Wizard of Auz" ?

Lorsalian Silvermist -- Seeker of the Complete MUD Cookkit
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:29 am

Selias wrote:How about putting one in scarsdale, but not in the main town... add something maybe by the dragons or something that has an auction house. This way all newbies have access to it

The reason I'm against one in Scardale Selias... some of the items are up for QUITE some time... many players could have outgrown Scardale by the time the auction is up.

Scardale is a zone for new players... Leuthilspar is a home town. Big difference. :-)

Lil
Lenefir
Sojourner

Re: Leuthilspar suggestion

Postby Lenefir » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Lilira wrote:My suggestion is to please place an auctioneer in Leuthilspar. Pretty, pretty please?

Add my vote to this!

Oh, and... I haven't really explored Evermeet after the changes, but I wish there was an arena portal too... (For those of us that prefer idling on Evermeet instead of (the spammy) Waterdeep...
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:37 pm

If a huge center of trade and commerce (waterdeep) cannot have an auctioneer, why would reclusive elves have one?

veto!
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Maedor wrote:If a huge center of trade and commerce (waterdeep) cannot have an auctioneer, why would reclusive elves have one?

veto!

Never really understood the logic behind the locations of the auctioneers, to be honest.

Yeah, VT is "sort of" close to DK and BG is "sort of" close to WD, and it seems like there's been a greater influx of items lately, but think about how much more use could this sytem could get if you dropped em in the prime hangouts. Smaller players would be far more likely to buy those 10-50p items if they didn't have to risk the walk or wait for a big friend to go with em.

How many druids/squids get aggravated by the requests for wells/shifts to auctions?
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:06 pm

I think the reasoning (at least for BG) was to get people traveling outside of WD on a regular basis... but as you pointed out, druids and squids made that point rather moot. :lol:
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:04 pm

Vandic wrote:
Maedor wrote:If a huge center of trade and commerce (waterdeep) cannot have an auctioneer, why would reclusive elves have one?

veto!

Never really understood the logic behind the locations of the auctioneers, to be honest.

(snip)

When auction was put in, I think BG was considered to be a neutral hometown (if it isn't still -- don't see many evilraces in bg nowadays) and VT was added for the liches (either later, or at the same time).

I think the prevalent reason(s) was most likely
(1) BG auctionhouse was ALREADY being used for auctions (guild stuff, mostly)
(2) BG is/was a place where all could go (cept liches, I think)

with the "go out and explore" a secondary bonus, and the VT being for the liches and later for the evilrace

Granted, this is mostly supposition.
Thanuk OOC: 'thats 6 years of hard work, come to fruitition in 1 single statement'

Was Felton Orm the "Wizard of Auz" ?

Lorsalian Silvermist -- Seeker of the Complete MUD Cookkit
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:10 pm

I don't know nor understand the reasoning behind the placement of the auctioneers. Could we please get a staff member, who does know the answer to this question, to reply to this please?

I think I remember hearing reasoning that the auction system helps newbies out and that is one of its intents. If this was from a player or staff member, I cannot recall the source, but I do agree with the reasoning.

What is obvious, is that the current auctioneer location placement is NOT newbie friendly. Therefor, if this is indeed one of the intents of the system, then more locations in various hometowns are required to be implemented as soon as possible. Perhaps one in every hometown.

I do not support the placing of an auctioneer in Scardale because of some points raised earlier in the thread.

To sum up. I am often very much against making things any easier on Torilmud, but I see more good then bad coming from placing auctioneers in each hometown. I see it giving new players some form of inspiration by working their tail off to buy some things that we take for granted.
As for the issue about players needing to learn the layout of the mud, that's a dead horse. We have tons of 50's who still can't walk from WD to BG, so what if a -20th char can't do it.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:55 pm

The difference, as I see it, is that while, of course, high level players will benefit from an auction house on Evermeet (in Leuthilspar or elsewhere), it will also make the auction house available to low level elves that do not already have a high level elf character or any elf friends to help them transport items.

As far as I know, all other races, even the snakes, can with more or less effort manage to come to the auction house in either BG or VT. However, low level elves are stuck on the island until level 20 and a player would have no way of getting to these auction houses and also be able to transport it back to their little elf unless they multiplay, which is against the rules, or as mentioned, already have friends they trust and are willing to do transportation work for them...

As for arena portal... They are scattered all over the prime plane, so why not on Evermeet too (unless there already is one after the resent changes on Evermeet :-)? Rise the level limit to enter to 20 for all I care...
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"

--Futurama
Marrus
Sojourner

Postby Marrus » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:26 pm

Lenefir wrote:As far as I know, all other races, even the snakes, can with more or less effort manage to come to the auction house in either BG or VT. However, low level elves are stuck on the island until level 20 and a player would have no way of getting to these auction houses and also be able to transport it back to their little elf unless they multiplay, which is against the rules, or as mentioned, already have friends they trust and are willing to do transportation work for them...

Sorry. You are simply dead wrong on this. A true newbie would have an easier time if he were a snake of simply creating a low level human alt to transfer money/eq and thereby have access to the auction. Surprise, surprise you could employ the same method as an elf.

If there is one race that does not need any more help in this game it is elves.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:44 pm

Hmm... How does making a low level human make it easier to transfer items and money to a snake or an elf? A human can't enter the snake hometown, nor can it enter the elf hometown...

Or what did I miss?

--Futurama
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:53 pm

Marrus wrote:
Lenefir wrote:As far as I know, all other races, even the snakes, can with more or less effort manage to come to the auction house in either BG or VT. However, low level elves are stuck on the island until level 20 and a player would have no way of getting to these auction houses and also be able to transport it back to their little elf unless they multiplay, which is against the rules, or as mentioned, already have friends they trust and are willing to do transportation work for them...

Sorry. You are simply dead wrong on this. A true newbie would have an easier time if he were a snake of simply creating a low level human alt to transfer money/eq and thereby have access to the auction. Surprise, surprise you could employ the same method as an elf.

If there is one race that does not need any more help in this game it is elves.

I've never played in Scarsdale so I don't know the answer to this, but is there an Inn there where people can rent out?

And, with all due respect, Lenefir's statement holds true--an elf character below level 20 cannot access the auctions in any way without the help of antoher character or by logging in another character and going about the task of transferring eq/money (assuming the presence of an Inn in Scarsdale where the two sub-20 characters could both rent out and store eq). And in order to do this you have to know this is possible--and it could be debated whether a "true" newbie as you call them would know this.

Grey elves have some definite advantages in this game in certain areas--as do every other race in Toril. Why that has anything to do with the existence--or lack thereof--of an auction house on Evermeet is beyond me.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:56 pm

yes scardale has an inn ...
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:05 pm

Hmm... I thought the inn in Scardale wasn't considered a real inn since you can cast spells (at least last time I was there) and all the other stuff you can do in a normal room... (Thus the reference to multiplay in my initial post.) But since I actually never have tried logging in two characters at once and switching eq between them in that inn I'm not surprised if I'm wrong. If so, then I'll take back what I said, and it is possible for low level elves too to get hold of auction items (though not directly)...

Though, I still wouldn't mind an auction house on Evermeet... *whistle*

--Futurama

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”