Apprentice System

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
moritheil
Sojourner

Apprentice System

Postby moritheil » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:34 pm

Many of Toril's learning relationships were effectively apprenticeships. Since we're apparently considering newbie friendly code with the more recent discussions, why not make a hardcoded apprenticeship system?

I think you could scavenge code from the assoc system to make this work: apprentice apply x instead of assoc apply x.

The apprentice system could work from levels 10-25 and would simply be an official recognition of the mentor willing to teach the apprentice, and the apprentice having a single go-to source for information and advice. Apprentices would be flagged as such, having a standard title "Apprentice" added behind their name.

I think this would help newbies feel like they belonged.

I also want world peace.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:39 pm

Good idea! I very much support this!
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:39 pm

You will hence forth be known as Darth Moritheil *star wars music*

Pril
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:25 pm

Mori = Gracie Lou Freebush??
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:01 am

Love the idea! Give the new guys a kind of title. . ."Loopy Hardbow - Ranger Apprentice of Weylarii"

or

"Foolio Druidio - Soon to be Very Dead Apprentice of Moritheil"

*poke*

Awesome Idea.

Maybe give them an xp boost / skill learn boost when grouped with mentor. . .

Lost
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:11 pm

how about squating dog
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:44 pm

No one wants to be an apprentice to your mom, Jersey. :P

*duck*
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Thracx V'staluz
Sojourner

Postby Thracx V'staluz » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:14 am

Best. Idea. Ever.

Seriously, I think this is a GREAT idea to help pbase problems and newbie learning.
"Only the educated are free." Epictetes
Lirela
Sojourner

Postby Lirela » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:29 pm

I really like this idea too! How would the mentors be assigned?

But there are two things that came to mind:
1- Don't become a mentor if you aren't going to be around, or if you and the newbie don't play at the same time. (duh)
2- Make sure the newbie knows they can still ask anyone for help. I'd hate to see someone wait for their mentor to show up in order to ask a time-sensitive question.

Good idea though! I've always had something in the back of my head about mentors, but never suggested hard coding it.

I love the title idea, too. Make the newbies feel special.

Bravo, huzzah, and all that crap!!
Lorsalian
Sojourner

Postby Lorsalian » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:11 pm

Lirela wrote:I love the title idea, too. Make the newbies feel special.

Bravo, huzzah, and all that crap!!

I like it toom but might be a terrible let-down when they have to give up the titles -- unless, of course, the apprenticeship lasted until guildable.

Hopefully this wouldn't add a 'Find a guild, or lose your title!' pressure.
Lirela
Sojourner

Postby Lirela » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:09 pm

I don't think they should get guild-style titles. Just something like what others have suggested. "Apprentice to Ashiwi" or something.

And I don't know how long it should last. Seems a shame to cut it off at 20, but I guess it's the most sensible. Doesn't mean the mentor/apprentice relationship needs to end then.
Thracx V'staluz
Sojourner

Postby Thracx V'staluz » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:57 pm

Lirela wrote:I don't think they should get guild-style titles. Just something like what others have suggested. "Apprentice to Ashiwi" or something.

And I don't know how long it should last. Seems a shame to cut it off at 20, but I guess it's the most sensible. Doesn't mean the mentor/apprentice relationship needs to end then.

I would say cut it off at level 30 instead of 20.
"Only the educated are free." Epictetes
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:41 am

I wouldn't suggest an exp bonus as people would just use it to level up alts. Perhaps a prestige bonus for each level gained by your apprentice while grouped with you. In honesty I don't really see how it would help new players however, having a funny title saying you belong to someone. It might be used by people to say 'oh I know XXX really good player so be nice to me' which could make it even harder for new players who don'tnow anyone.

Perhaps just guild them and give them the title 'Moritheil's Apprentice'?
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:47 am

Uh I think it would help the pbase in the fact that it gives the newbie a chance to kinda...belong.

Apprenticing alts would be kinda pointless, but mentoring true newbies earns a player a kind of respect that most don't have. Lilithelle for example is well-known for her patience and generosity for noobs.

I think players would actually like to help the true noobs, selfishly enough, for their own personal benefit and view of themselves. Which doesn't matter, as long as the noobs get assistance.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:37 pm

If you could have it all the way some of us players could actually use it to show who our alts are.

Personally I don't see myself having any apprentices. But I would like to tell others that I am on, playing an alt.
Itex
Sojourner

Had this idea years ago...it will never happen

Postby Itex » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:40 pm

Had this idea years ago when in quest sphere - it wont happen -

The base idea we had was like you mentioned an apprenticeship but with a twist -- the master could teach quest spells without the apprentice questing it - also the idea to have it when the master and apprentice in group using the same spell - the master's would increase in effectiveness and the apprentice skill -- like spellcast invocation divination etc would increase faster.

Then there was specialization -- where both master and apprentice would gain a benefit if they were (and should have been) of the same specialization - like extra die or percentage added to spells they cast.

Also had the idea that a pool of new spells could be made by master and apprentice utilizing a research skill (read time sink).

You can have all the ideas in the world and they won't mean poop unless you have a coder and a coder won't mean poop until they get approvals.

Itex

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”