Paladins

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Vandic
Sojourner

Paladins

Postby Vandic » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:51 pm

First off, kudos for tweaking this class to make it way more fun and playable again. This time 2 years ago if I'd had a level 50 warrior and level 50 paladin it would be pretty much a no-brainer which would get the zone invites. Now it seems both have their particular utilities.

Having said that, I do want to throw a couple of minor requests at the wall and see if they stick.

1. The balance of items with certain key stats - read "infra and +wis" - seems heavily in favor of antis. Could our zone team maybe throw pallies a bone in this area in a new zone or rework some old item that would make it more viable? *cough mask of night cough*

2. While I think a counterpart to anti's unholy aura would be way too overpowered, I would like to see a more functional 10th circle spell available, either in addition to or even in place of holy word. Maybe something like a self-only 'holy ward' type spell that trims back spell damage from evil sources (a few percent, say 10 or less) or has a chance to counter the effects of unholy word.

3. If I can open a door while I'm fighting for my life, couldn't I get back on my horse? Hell, throw in a few rounds of lag to compensate for it where I'm not attacking (like a failed disarm where you fumble).

+3dam eyepatches too! *nod me*

Anyone else feel free to expand/comment/critique.

-V
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:08 pm

I could see a major hit to AC while trying to remount during battle, since you'd pretty much have to turn your back to whatever's hitting you.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:18 pm

Ashiwi wrote:I could see a major hit to AC while trying to remount during battle, since you'd pretty much have to turn your back to whatever's hitting you.

Given the likely alternative to *not* being able to remount (think Mr. Miyagi going "squish...just like grape") I'd personally take the hit.
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:48 pm

On a side note, if anyone's ever seen the muspel dragon lance proc and has it logged somewhere, mmail me a copy of what it looks like.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:51 pm

I've seen it proc before when i get home i'll check to see if i have it logged.

Pril
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:24 pm

And not to hi-jack, but add the mount option for antis too. And give them
the same !fear abilities. But let the paladins keep their "guard" skill. Bout
the only thing that gets them invited into groups over warriors. Doesn't make
as much sense for their evil counterparts, and there have to be SOME
differences. I do suggest adding SOMETHING to the antis to compensate and
make them somewhat desireable for a group and not just "oh, well we
couldn't find another paladin or warrior, so i GUESS you'll work".

Would definately be nice to see some form of +wis +dam type stuff
for paladins, and maybe for those shaman/clerics that insist on wearing
hit/dam.

Ashiwi - Re-mounting wouldn't require turning your back toward an opponent.
It is ONE choice as far as technique for mounting, but in this case, would be
far from the preferred choice. Spend some time at a rodeo, and see what
some of these trick riders do!

Del
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:43 pm

Trick riders don't wear heavy armor when they are riding in a rodeo.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:11 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:And not to hi-jack, but add the mount option for antis too. And give them
the same !fear abilities. But let the paladins keep their "guard" skill. Bout
the only thing that gets them invited into groups over warriors. Doesn't make
as much sense for their evil counterparts, and there have to be SOME
differences. I do suggest adding SOMETHING to the antis to compensate and
make them somewhat desireable for a group and not just "oh, well we
couldn't find another paladin or warrior, so i GUESS you'll work".

Would definately be nice to see some form of +wis +dam type stuff
for paladins, and maybe for those shaman/clerics that insist on wearing
hit/dam.
Del

Didn't realize antis didn't get the !fear ability (have to wonder why, honestly...if they're not afraid of the gods they serve, dragons should be cake), and yeah I'd say they ought to be able to get back on horses too if paladins could.

Vigis, no dabbling in reality! Reality has no place here! *grin*
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:12 pm

Vandic wrote:
Vigis, no dabbling in reality! Reality has no place here! *grin*

He started it! *points at Delmair and pouts*
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:03 pm

I also think a +3 eyepatch will result in a lot more zone invites.
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:58 pm

WOW!

Paladins get new skills. NICE skills and still people want more.
You get guard-a slap in the face to warriors.
You get mounted combat- extra tanking ability.

Now you want more.
Better paladin and anti-paladin eq...
+hp +wis geared for paladin's only to make you better tanks.

Again some of these same people wanting this stuff are against warriors getting anything new to help them tank and be better at defending the group.

Bah!

L8r,
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:50 pm

Nokar wrote:WOW!

Paladins get new skills. NICE skills and still people want more.
You get guard-a slap in the face to warriors.
You get mounted combat- extra tanking ability.

Now you want more.
Better paladin and anti-paladin eq...
+hp +wis geared for paladin's only to make you better tanks.

Again some of these same people wanting this stuff are against warriors getting anything new to help them tank and be better at defending the group.

Bah!

L8r,

You see a lack of warriors getting group invites? I don't think that these
things are being added to help the paladins above and beyond, just more
of a balance. As it stands antis get a nice +wis +dam mask. So paladins
should probabbly be able to get something similar somewhere. As far
as group invites, i'd have to say antis are still among the least sought
after. They don't have anything to contribute to a group that a warrior
or paladin don't have. This is a problem, but i'm not looking for a huge
bonus to counteract it. Guard is a VERY nice skill. But paladins needed
something nice. I don't think this post is at all rediculous.

As a sidenote, i don't see how a +3 dam eyepatch would make much
of a difference. They can't wear shimmering green ansi one?
Ruggak
Sojourner

Postby Ruggak » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:16 pm

Re-Mounting with penalties would be a killer skill or rather just a add on to mounted combat skill. Skill can check the level to test a successful re-mount with a Lag time about the same as a charge.

Anti's I still beleive need to be made into a unique class not just the opposite of paladin. A Necro-cleric-warrior hybrid or just re do the class as a shaman hybrid.

In any case the goal would be to have the melee classes have uses in a high lvl zone group, just as all the casters are distinct, as are all the priest classes. A paladin currently can protect 1 player better than anyother class. Warriors are still the best meat shields. Rogues dish out the damage. Anti's and Rangers are the step children.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:37 pm

Just so you know... people can vault onto a horse in platemail. You just have to be really good at it, which seeing as how Pally's supposedly trained for years, they should be.
emote Rescuepractice
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:43 pm

I've seen trick riders at a rodeo... I've also seen great big burly fellows with muscles of steel and the constitution of a grizzly bear wearing modern plate armor (which weighs MUCH LESS than it's historical predecessor) trying to mount a horse.

The majority of battlefield injuries for knights came from falling off their horses, and once they fell off, they typically didn't get back on because of the huge production it took just to get them up there in the first place. Some knights had elaborate winch set-ups that hoisted them up on a horse, and at the very least they had platforms with steps. Those who were capable of mounting themselves weren't the ones wearing full armor, especially not plate.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:46 pm

Actually... that could be part of your solution, right there. If a paladin maintains less than a certain load, or less than a worn + inventory/body mass ratio, then they should be allowed to remount, and the higher the load or ratio climbs, the more penalty a paladin takes until remounting becomes impossible.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:39 pm

The big difference nokar is being able to remount in combat is an upgrade in CONSISTENCY rather than an upgrade in power. Although paladins are starting to become a decent option for a mainstream tank, they certainly are not putting warriors out of a job yet nor are they the preferred tank. (For those of you who want to argue semantics, yes it probably is technically an upgrade in power.)

You seem to have a hang up with understanding that additional defensive skills added to warriors is an increase in power if something isn't decreased to offset it.

If you read the BBS you will notice that not many people are supportive of any class gaining any "real" additional power. The exception is probably the ranger class gaining more damage (or a complete redesign) and a smaller minority supporing warrior class gaining some increase in 2h damage.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:03 am

Am I alone in thinking that guard is incredibly overpowered?

It seems to be a !lag rescue that is instant, can rescue 6? or so per round, all while working in conjunction with normal rescue.

I'd think guard should have some lag associated with it...or cap paladin rescue significantly lower...or only owrk every 3-5rounds or something.

Maybe I don't understand guard, and am way off base. Just seems to be an awesome concept taken too far.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:23 am

Maedor wrote:Am I alone in thinking that guard is incredibly overpowered?

It seems to be a !lag rescue that is instant, can rescue 6? or so per round, all while working in conjunction with normal rescue.

I'd think guard should have some lag associated with it...or cap paladin rescue significantly lower...or only owrk every 3-5rounds or something.

Maybe I don't understand guard, and am way off base. Just seems to be an awesome concept taken too far.

No, you are not alone. Especially since I have heard from paladins that they can start or change guard during a fight. If a paladin switches guard during the fight, they have the potential to have unlimited rescues with no lag.

When guard first came out, I was adamantly opposed to it. After seeing it in action in small groups, I figured it was no big deal. But after having a paladin tell me that he rescued a person from 10 mobs in 1 round with no lag, I began to think it might be overpowered. I could go into my rant, but I won't. Everything I posted here is based on secondhand information, so it would be great if a paladin would post an original log that shows I am wrong.

Thank you.
Last edited by Vigis on Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:17 pm

I thought guard made sense because it's basically the paladin standing in front of the player he's guarding and keeping everybody else away. If you look at it as a pre-emptive rescue, it gets a little bit closer to reasonable within the game setting. The paladin isn't pulling bad guys off the mage, he's reminding the bad guys that they have to go through him first in order to get to the mage.

So if fifteen people can melee one rabbit in this game, a paladin can certainly keep six foes from getting to one caster.

Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:51 pm

Well on homeland you could fail to guard your target. It is a skill right not an innate? And there was some lag like rescue. Basically what it did was create a system so people didn't need rescue triggers. It's really the same thing.
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:29 pm

I personally feel GUARD it way overpowered. I have been rescued by a paladin at skellies and he had all the skellies off me in like 3 rounds.
The paladin gets one AUTOMATIC rescue attempt on me with no lag for every attack a mob gets as well as there rescue command. That just put warriors out of being tanks. Also, with the ability to switch who they are guarding mid-fight they get unlimited lag free rescues.

What part of that is not unbalanced and overpowered?
And what got downgraded when this was implemented?

Yes the paladin may try and stand in front of a player getting the crap beaten out of them. But look at it. It is a easily twinkable skill as well and not realistic.
Ever been a a bar brawl?
Try and stand between 2 people when they are in heavy melee. Then while still tanking the first guy try and stand infront of another guy and take the hits from them then then try it again .. Absolutely impossible!

Guard is way to overpowered.
I don't understand why it even got implemented. I still don't understand why no one yelled about nothing getting downgraded save for the invites for a paladin vs. a warrior.

A paladin right now is the optimal tank. They bash, heal themselves and can now have unlimited lag free rescues. Plus they can heal others. Cast spells, etc.

What can warriors do?
bash
rescue
shieldpunch
kick
headbutt
oh and shieldblock
the onlything I don't think paladins get is headbutt, shieldpunch, and shieldblock. They get bash, rescue, and kick.

Guard is a unrealistic skill.

Done ranting now.

If you guys dont believe me. Go group with a paladin and go to skellies and have them turn on guard then switch guard as well as use rescue. Then watch a warrior try and do the same thing.

Then you tell me who makes the better tank.
Stuff like this has been my point all along. Warriors are TANKS! and if that is what we are supposed to be then leave it to us. Who ever gave the go ahead on guard just toss the warrior class to the curb.

Ashiwi,
The way teh guard skill works is the paladin is pulling the bad guys from the caster. It works just like rescue except happens more that once every 2 rounds and is lag free.

L8r,
Rhoquinn group says 'Nok no wandering!'
You group say 'Is there any aggro's here?'
You flee westward!
You group say 'ummm guys?'
Rhoquinn group says 'Dammit Nok'
Welcome to toril
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:03 pm

Just because a paladin can walk into a room and rescue 10 mobs off of a caster instantly, doesn't make warriors obsolete. The palidork is still significantly more fragile than a warrior...and they are now tanking a huge number of mobs.

You can't really classify paladins as a bashing class, Nokar. have you seen more horribly they tank when unmounted?:P It's worse than a warrior 2h tanking.

All that being said, guard should be looked at, and toned down 25-50% imo.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:01 pm

I'll look into the execution of the guard skill, but I make no promises for any action.
Eilistraee
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:22 pm

I haven't zoned since guard was instituted so I have some questions:

Is guard !fail?

Is there no lag for the guarder and guardee associated with guard?
kitze
Sojourner

Postby kitze » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:37 pm

paladins definitely needed guard to bring them in line with the anti's kick skill. anti's would totally own mobs by unmounting and then kicking their enemies to death with this extremely unbalanced skill.

paladins are almost there - they just need another skill to match anti's sorcerous spell knowledge for these two classes to be balanced. something like innate vampiric curse.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:49 pm

kitze wrote:paladins definitely needed guard to bring them in line with the anti's kick skill. anti's would totally own mobs by unmounting and then kicking their enemies to death with this extremely unbalanced skill.

paladins are almost there - they just need another skill to match anti's sorcerous spell knowledge for these two classes to be balanced. something like innate vampiric curse.

Damn, if Paladins have Lay Hans, A Healing 2h sword and had vampiric curse...well I just don't know, that would be so friggan sweet. Like ninja wizards and bears with laser eyes.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:12 pm

Botef wrote:
kitze wrote:paladins definitely needed guard to bring them in line with the anti's kick skill. anti's would totally own mobs by unmounting and then kicking their enemies to death with this extremely unbalanced skill.

Damn, if Paladins have Lay Hans, A Healing 2h sword and had vampiric curse...well I just don't know, that would be so friggan sweet. Like ninja wizards and bears with laser eyes.

Botef first of all the rumors about Hans being passed around the paldin gay circles is false. Second of all wth does us laying Hans at parties have anything to do with our healing? I mean yeah it feels good for a little bit but hey it's not like we're having sex with Hans mid battle! Stay on topic dammit! So yeah Pallie vamp curse would rock but TOTALLY overpower us. Really if you let pallies remount in combat we'll stop bitching. I swear :p

Pril
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:46 pm

???

Is Hans the name of your horse?

Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:04 pm

Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:06 pm

They don't call him Horsehumper for nothing.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:04 am

Guard is probably too powerful at present.

changing guard targets should probably lag you more than 1 round.

You can not "guard" more than one person in one round, so while you can probably have unlimited rescues on a single person in a single round, its not a unlimited group wide rescue. In the middle of a fight all this is really good for is mass rescuing a tank who is about to die or in that first round of combat where 80% of the mobs switch to the cleric and the tanks are in kill/bash lag.

the chance to successfully guard someone from successive opponents probably needs to decrease quickly. Currently, it seems to be a simple skill check and a paladin has no problem "guarding" a person from an unlimited # of opponents 90%+ of the time. I think it should be higher like 95% for the first opponent, then perhaps drop by 15% per successive opponnent (or per successive attempt to guard). I don't think this would be a huge "downgrade" in game play sense (as you will rarely need to rescue someoen more than 3 or 4 times in one round) however will help the skill be seen as more balanced rather than as "unlimited super rescue of warrior nerfdom".
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:08 am

I think guard is fine. I had a pally and warriors in group today, they all rescued people a lot. It might even make it interesting for the warriors as if an incoming group comes in and goes at the person being guarded, the warriors need to rescue the pally a bit. Even if pallies do rescue faster, they are not as good at physically tanking as a warrior. And when you are in a group, you should be dividing the tanking anyhow. So you get to look and rescue the pally a bit based on tank distribution instead of just using a trigger and rescuing the casters, sounds like fun to me! :)

Comparing guard VS rescue in rescue practice has no bearing on zones whatsoever. Still think should upgrade warrior/pally/ranger defense (parry/shieldblock) more of those cool glancing blows, and downgrade defense magic.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Waelos
Sojourner

Kill more rangers

Postby Waelos » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:14 am

Give them guard!

-Lost
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:07 am

Wow, whoever photoshoped that picture sucks :(
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:04 am

I already think that guard is overpowered in its present state. While I do think the skill fits the class, I don't know that a paladin should be able to guard 1 person in the group and still be able to rescue others. It kind of makes sense that if they are concentrating on protecting 1 person in the group, they are going to have a harder time paying attention to the 14 others.

*shrug* Paladins get what they get, I've never played one, so I'm not really the person to say what they should and shouldn't get. As a warrior, I have to admit I resent that they have heal on top of layhands, mounted combat in addition to a 2h ac bonus, etc etc. But they get what they get.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”