DRASTIC idea for BBS

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Change Toril BBS?

Yes - allow only player and admin polls, leaving commentary within Toril's game related channel
No votes
Yes - allow all polls and also 3 lines of commentary
No votes
Yes - but I'll explain ...
No votes
No - It's fine.
50%
No - But players who flame should be dealth with quickly
50%

Total votes: 24
auslyx
Sojourner

DRASTIC idea for BBS

Postby auslyx » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Seeing how a lot of bickering has taken place on the BBS in its history, I would vote to change it where it's more streamlined. I see the BBS where players could put polls and take place that way. There's a channel on Toril for commentary. Most commentary here leads to ego-defending fights, and belittlement. The BBS is avoided I've noticed by some of the strongest players we have. It's obvious they do not post.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:34 am

the BBS is also used by many of the strongest players we have. And while its cluttered with people who like to argue or flame or make personal attacks against staff direction/policies I think its very important that there is a public place to ask question and receive answers or discuss new ideas.

If we make drastic changes to the bbs then all sorts of falsehoods will abound and lots of this communication goes private, between player and player and player and god. I'm against private player to god game related communication except when very specific and very necessary.

I know at least a few veteran players pass up the BBS because they communicate directly and privately with the gods. Personally, i dont think they should be saying anything in private that isn't public knowledge or made public, but thats just my very strict view. I know of at least two instances where gods have had players they respected highly and listened to their opinions then made game changes based on their recommendation (and obviously their own support of the ideas). I don't think a player should be able to make suggestions for implementation privately without opportunities for public discussion.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:27 pm

You are wrong.

An open debate is the only way to go. We don't live in a police-state. And players should be expected to have their oppinions.

I also don't mind spammers here. That is what this board is all about.

(I started out by just having the "You are wrong" as message, but figured that would make you fight back to much).
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:32 pm

Boards exist in two states:

Boards infested with flamers, trollers, and people who like to start or get involved in the mix of it...These boards may be filled to the brim with crap threads, but at least its something to read while at work.

Boards run nice and tight. No swearing, flaming, trolling, etc...But guess what, very few people post because they don't want some uptight admin to come along and censor what they've said. Boring....

I've posted on many forums over the years, the longest running one some 8 years now...The most enjoyable ones had heaping spoonfuls of flames...The rest were devoid of anything worth talking about.

Seriously people...Most boards have flamers, trolls, etc....Tough shit, live with it.

I'm 100% against censorship on forums, and I think our admins do a damn good job of not censoring things very often considering the amount of garbage I willingly read here.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:45 am

I'd like you to have to go and press a button at the end of a zone to get a token with which you can make in post in gameplay discussion. Kinda like microsoft's idea for tokens for email to reduce worthless spam! :) I get so annoyed sometimes having to explain my ideas in epic detail for people who insist they havn't played here in 5+ years anyhow just so that they wont turn my thread into a pile of flames and assumptions based on game mechanics of 1994.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:50 pm

Omg you just suggested going with an idea that Micro$oft came up with... DIE DIE!!! :P

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”