Hide object

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Eshacin
Sojourner

Hide object

Postby Eshacin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:53 am

Could be a fun, and occasionally useful, extension of the hide command for rogues:

hide <object from inventory>
has a chance (similar to hide self) of placing an object from the rogues inventory hidden on the ground

hide <count> <object>
useful for hiding a bunch of coins

hide <object from inventory> <container>
as above, but puts object into a container.

As with hiding self, the rogue knows where the object is and so cannot see whether it is hidden successfully.

Hidden objects would not persist across a boot.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Could also be such that drop while hidden would drop it hidden. That way illu would also get the skill though.
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:39 pm

I can see rogues stealing objects in zones, hiding them and collecting after. Fun! Code it for kicks, let's see who gets tempted!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:23 pm

Stamm wrote:I can see rogues stealing objects in zones, hiding them and collecting after. Fun! Code it for kicks, let's see who gets tempted!

WTF is the use of this? Just put the stolen item in a bag and be done with it. This seems rather a useless command.
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:14 pm

Birile wrote:
Stamm wrote:I can see rogues stealing objects in zones, hiding them and collecting after. Fun! Code it for kicks, let's see who gets tempted!

WTF is the use of this? Just put the stolen item in a bag and be done with it. This seems rather a useless command.

I see no point in that either. I do see a point in being able to hide something so you can come back and get it later or, more likely, tell someone else where they can find it.

Mmmm, thinks some more... Treasure Hunts, with clues (hide bits of paper with clues even)
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:25 pm

From a realism point this makes sense.

When you are sneaking hidden in e.g. muspel, then you more or less are going in trenches a normal party would never go in, keeping your head down in the mud.

If you drop an item while sneaking and hiding then you would most likely place it behind a bush or wherever you currently are, therefore it would be hidden. Dropping the item shouldnt then break hide, because you are just placing the item whereever you are hiding.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:50 pm

Seems like a fun idea, but the only purpose I could see it really being used for would be hiding keys and other essential items to do a zone from competition so that you can come back later with a group and do it and otherwise disrupting things.

I'd be mighty pissed if every boot I had to A: run and hide the zone key/object myself or B: spend all aftersoon searching out every room for it cause someone else did. True this already happens somewhat via other means...but Id rather not see this kind of behavior become any more common place.

RP wise, could be cool, but since the mud doesnt restore things after a crash or reboot that are left on the ground, I probably would never leave anything of real importance or value just lying around hidden.
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:10 pm

Back in the 90s, when I tried Duris, this had a point.
Oh crap, those darn squids are after me again.
Run run run.
Bag all
Run run run.
Hide bag.
Run run run.
Die.
wait.
Recover gear, rinse, repeat.

Here, I just don't see the point...(well, other than this, but Ashiwi doesn't need any more Haley references.)
Unless the hidden bit somehow made the items survive boot/crash...?
--Hey, Look, I just regenerated a finger. Guess which one.
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=191
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:30 pm

I don't care about objects. I want hide pcorpse. Now that would make the game fun.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:53 pm

Nekelet wrote:Back in the 90s, when I tried Duris, this had a point.
Oh crap, those darn squids are after me again.
Run run run.
Bag all
Run run run.
Hide bag.
Run run run.
Die.
wait.
Recover gear, rinse, repeat.

This, of course, was a bannable offense :) I got banned for rem all;drop all when Spij caught me over water once ;)
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Nekelet
Sojourner

Postby Nekelet » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:03 pm

There is a bit of a difference between ponding EQ, and making it harder to loot.

Then again, gods weren't well known for their rationality then/there.

*shrug* back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)
--Hey, Look, I just regenerated a finger. Guess which one.

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=191

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”