speed up the camp command?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
fotex
Sojourner

speed up the camp command?

Postby fotex » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:33 pm

It would be great if you could buy tents that you can use to speed up the 'camp' command.
Sort of like disguise kits for the rogue's disguise command.
Wouldn't need to be instantaneous, but just cut off maybe half a tick off the process. Then it would turn this time sink into more of a plat sink.
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:50 pm

Taking it a step further, Gypsy caravans (very expensive probably) which would be pulled by your mount and you could leave parked somewhere. Instant rent in your caravan.

Maybe you could even invite people in - mobile guildhalls anyone? :)
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:17 pm

Or have a camp command that's skill based?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:18 am

what exactly would be wrong with a 30 second camp? There are multi rules that would cover most abuses.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:03 am

If I log on lich and it happens to be right after boot and I get an invite to check some stuff and they want an alt and they're in a hurry to get there, the camping becomes annoying. Just fyi. Probably don't care.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:24 am

even for rl issues .. soemtimes you just NEED to camp fast? and dont want to simply drop link while camp happens

i dont know about skill based .. why qould a mage practice camp? across the board lowered time be wondermous!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:48 am

I camped and cut link...5 min later I relog as different char. Someone replies to petition saying 'hey, are you the guy %% at TP' ? So cutting link must abort camping or what?
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:16 pm

Ambar wrote:even for rl issues .. soemtimes you just NEED to camp fast? and dont want to simply drop link while camp happens

i dont know about skill based .. why qould a mage practice camp? across the board lowered time be wondermous!

Because he has no choice? Lichy mages would probably get pretty good at it over time. You know, s/he would get faster at making fires and setting up tents and storing goods over time just through repetition.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:01 pm

hehe im agreeing with a lowered camp timer, i just disagree with it based on a skill ..
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:50 pm

Eshacin wrote:Maybe you could even invite people in

Can I invite Ashiwi into my caravan?
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:37 am

Making it more convenient is good of course. It just needs to be long enough for mobs to be able to track people. Anything longer than that doesn't seem necessary.

There could even be sepparate camp times depending on if the person is hunted or not. If the person isn't, then they could get the "express" time.

- Mike
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:44 pm

If nothing else, camp needs to have a long duration in order to make renting at an inn preferable. Otherwise, we could just 'quit' almost anywhere we want, thus making inns obsolete.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:10 am

Try camping near a hometown Lahgen. It doesn't let you, you have to use the inn. Camping is a way for you to log out of the game without risk of coming back to find your corpse rotted and all your gear up on auction or trying to track down the 5 low level people who found it and split it up amongst themselves.

Camping is a bone that is thrown to the pbase because (even 10 years ago) things come up and you have no choice but to get out quick.

People can go linkdead any time they want and it is instant, sure there is some risk associated with it, but if I am in a DS group and have to leave and just drop link I might even get some exp from the group dragging me along.

Speeding up the camp time will never kill the inns or the hometowns. People go there to interact with other players and to meet before doing things. A faster camp time will only allow for people to tend to real life without wondering if they will have gear when they come back.

Oh crap, gotta go! My car just called me and said that if I don't go pump gas into it at $3.20 a gallon, it is going to cut me off. Sorry!

Vigis -Shadows of Imphras-## (AFK)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
KansasChaos
Sojourner

Postby KansasChaos » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:52 am

So far from the other muds I've seen, this camping feature here is extremely slow. Why? I have seen mobs track me when trying to walk from the dwarf town to the human town. They tracked me probably 50 rooms or more in a very short time. Even two minutes is too long to wait on camping. Obviously mobs can move nearly as fast as players. Such a long wait does not have a just cause.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”