True Sight

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner

True Sight

Postby Thilindel » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:17 am

When search command was redone a little while ago, it was actually pretty good. Being able to control which way you search etc, and it was fast. Somehow, searching blows all over again. The squidward post on logs, I think, where he spams search and took forever to find something. This is the case all over again.

What I was thinking about, given the name 'True Sight', is to make the illusionist' spell !fail on searching. Argument being common sense.
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:28 am

Gonna have to disagree. True sight classicly allows you to see through all illusions, etc..clerical version allows seeing auras (obviously changed here, but no big deal). What it does NOT do, however, is uncover things hidden through mundane means. It should not help searching at all.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:06 am

should an object that is magical, be hidden to you if you have detect magic?

The point of hidden objects is so that people can find them... If the objects have already been found and are well known, hidden becomes useless... not a feature just an annoyance.

The only legitimate use of hidden is in its bastardized use to prevent players from discerning the existence/pop of objects. again... im not sure how or why we rely on hiding objects to prevent detecting rather than just making them undetectable but whatever.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:43 pm

Gonna totalydisagree with ya kiryan...

Just because the majority of high-end players know the majority of the hidden/secret things in the majority of zones, does not mean that we all do.

Everybody out here is learning the game at their own rate in their own way, dont assume they all share your spot in it. Its very possible for somebody to miss a hidden item even several times in a zone before somebody else can inform him or her about it. Or before they one day, by intuition, guesswork, or sheer accidental luck, find it themselves.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:36 pm

That's the way Homelands True Sight spell worked for Planewalkers. It showed all hidden exits and items. It made a lot of aspects easier, but it was self cast and very high circle.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:48 am

Yeah, I don't play illusionist, so I just saw true sight and figured ..what the hell.

It just doesn't make sense to search out the same bush on EM every day for years. It doesn't make sense to search out items in rooms or on corpses over and over. SEARCH is just really annoying. It'd be nice if your char got a flag per room or whatever. To have to search 19 times as a human with 142 INT. Why? Search doesn't notch, so it really falls into 'that's stupid' category.
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:06 am

AND farsee not being able to see through a hidden door, until you find it... "Oh, there's a door there, now I can see through it!"

Hilien.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Mertak
Sojourner

Postby Mertak » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:44 am

I always thought that the Song of Revelation ought to give a bonus to searching. This isn't exactly related, but whenever anyone mentions search, I remember that I still hadn't posted my thought...

Mertie.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:55 pm

your right daggaz, forgot there are people who don't know where everything is or what everything is for... those people are a small minority i think however.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:19 pm

snape kills dumbledore
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:31 pm

Dalar wrote:snape kills dumbledore

Dude, it was kinda not humorous at first, now it's just irritating. Much like your cousin.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:38 pm

kiryan wrote:your right daggaz, forgot there are people who don't know where everything is or what everything is for... those people are a small minority i think however.

I disagree. I think most players don't know much about the mud's areas. I think most players just follow the leader and assist. Haven't you heard people commenting about person X not knowing where TP is, where the Y guild is, etc.

The amount of people that actually go exploring and figuring things out is very very small. This is also clear by the equipment people wear. Most players wear the same equipment everyone else wears. A few people have unique eq. These are probably mostly people who go out and figure things out on their own.

- Mike
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:58 pm

Yarash wrote:The amount of people that actually go exploring and figuring things out is very very small.
- Mike

The reason this is, is that if you explore, you die. Death = time, time it takes you to walk back to whereever you died, time to make up the exp. Time is a premium with many people, it's much more fun and time efficient grouping with a bunch of people and, maybe, dying than dying alone in the back of beyond.

I used to explore a bunch, till I got tired of dying. Now that I'm big enough to, probably, survive the first combat round, I've been exploring more, but, I usually don't get very far before being asked for a group...

Hilien.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.

-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”