Would like to be a part of an ever developing story...

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
malakwee
Sojourner

Would like to be a part of an ever developing story...

Postby malakwee » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:25 am

First and foremost thanks to the imms for making the world of toril a lot of fun as it is now.

Out of love for the game and seeing it improves, i would like to suggest a way to make the world dynamic always, with changes forseeable on the horizon...

I would like to suggest the admin to have several events in their development calendar that will permanently affect the world of toril.

1. Natural events - disasters destroying certain areas or changing certain areas
2. Social events - Timelines (without the players knowing what those timelines are) that affects how new areas are introduced into the game... and also changes the areas...

Example:
1. At a certain time (as planned by the admin), the city of luiren where the halflings dwell are conquered by the orcs... maybe during that time luiren becomes a city changed... not geographically, but socially, where the conquered halflings are forced to bear with evil races being in their city, and justice code drops.
2. The rise of an empire
3. The plot of certain mages that affects a certain region of the world... their success or failure causing changes to that region socially.
4. Major magical battles where storms and earthquakes are summoned causing gegraphical change to a certain region.

I have no idea how much work that will take, but i believe with a storylike timeline, the world of torilmud would be more fun to play in... where people could say, 'Oh... I was born in the year 561 ... the year of the three setting suns, when the Guild of the Naturalist "The Beast-Tamers" formed in Myth Drannor and built its halls within two years.'...
Just an idea...
Mertak
Sojourner

Postby Mertak » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:19 am

That sounds like a tonne of fun. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it'd be a tonne of work, too. But here's hoping!

Mertie.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:44 pm

RPQ Blew up Bloodstone, and now its being rebuilt..

I'd call that a big change. Especially since players are invited to add their input and do RP things to have shops they want implemented.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:58 pm

Actually, I see where Malakwee is coming from on this. I've seen other games where there is an ongoing storyline running behind the scenes which is adaptable depending on the staff's whims of the day. If Kingdom code ever goes in, it would be an excellent addition to the gameplay, allowing for politics and social structures to form within the RP aspects of day to day activities.

We have a ready-made world here within the Forgotten Realms stories. We have ongoing political struggles which could erupt on occasion, resulting in invasions, minor wars and political skirmishes. Not all of them would take major work, and not all of them have to be major events. Also, not all RP has to involve the ongoing plots. All you basically have to know is this province is mad at that province, so-and-so wants to rule thereabouts, and ZK hates everybody.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
malakwee
Sojourner

Postby malakwee » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:25 am

It is my opinion that having a storyline tagged to the develepment of the mud is an awesome way to even upgrade or downgrade certain zones...

And it would allow the mud to keep on evolving ... and what i mean by that is allowing old timers who are sooo used to seeing the same old thing from a zone, to see something new instead because of the changes the storyline provides...

One good example of how a calender could be done up can be seen at the following website:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/59.php

What i like about it is how there is a timeline... not that we expect the game to adopt something as big as that, but it would be fun to see a-once-in-a-while interaction between the zones that changes those zones somehow, and oould even be introduced with some roleplaying...

And the roleplaying could even be means at determining whether one result or another kicks in...

Ex:

One evil group and one goodie group participated in an RP session during an plot of a mage to overthrow the crazy Elemental Tower Mage and restore order... The RP-ing mob from each side could say that he is after a certain thing there and killing the ET mage would allow it to achieve that end... and depending on who wins (can even make the session a PvP too)
the area will be changed in a manner that gives credit to those who won.

Just some additional thoughts
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:12 am

Cool idea but I think destroying zones for any reason is just.... destructive. And stupid.

I think what happened to Bloodstone is one of the of the absolute WORST changes to any area on this mud, ever. THat used to be a rockin fun hometown, especially for midlevels. Now its just gone. And sorry, but I dont think the replacement is nearly as worthy.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:24 am

I actually really like that the mud world is more eternal and you can set your own adventures in it. Bloodstone was horrific if you wern't one of the people deeply involved in the RP. Unless the zone is just plain awful and needs to be pulled, make a new zone instead of changing one that already exists. I sometimes get annoyed when people have this great idea for an old classic zone and go and mess it up, I think it would be good to have an evolving zone that one person wrote and worked on.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:24 pm

I think it is fine that leaders in WD are replaced once in a while, just to have some sort of storyline, last was pir-whatever that got replaced by tyr paladin-something. (Ok, mabye I don't pay that close attention).

But to fundamentally change existing areas is bad. Some of the changes will mabye be ok, but every time anyone pulls a bloodstone players will get annoyed.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Lord P is still Lord P Diso...

He just 1) Got the Marshall to do his opening gates thing, and 2) Got a face lift to make him a little more the way he should be... a bada$$ Paladin. Instead of roaming the city, he has specific places to pop.

As for Bloodstone....

Here's a quote from Auril's summation of the last RPQ Campaign (just in case some who might read this thread didn't read it), with the pertinent line bolded :-):

Ingisa and her books isn't even the major story left unresolved. That honor goes to the destruction of Bloodstone, and rebuilding a city there will be the focus of our next long-term campaign. Our city won't be Bloodstone, since that should be in a different spot. But a new city will be built, and we'll run a campaign to build it. That will be open to all levels of players, and it's not going to take three and a half years to finish!

The imms have been in the process of shifting things around since the Homeland/Torilmud merge so that the world looks more like the Map of Faerun should, hence all the new roads south of Waterdeep and other additions. I can only presume that Bloodstone may be on the list of areas to be done and re-placed in the correct spot on the map at some point.

As for calendar of events, mud time moves SOOOO fast on the mud, 1 day every 24 rl minutes... Most of us who RP don't even use the mud time.. we can't! If we did, Lilira would be 800 right now (which thanks to some judicious OOC rejuves, she's not...) and some of the RP character meetings or RPQ events would take a month!!

I really do love some of the ideas I've seen. The occupation of different cities would be fun, and I've missed the old invasion code in places like Griffin's Nest, where once in a while trolls would randomly run through and smite things, though the whole GN guards assisting the trolls really needed some work...

Just my expanding a bit on my initial post.
malakwee
Sojourner

Postby malakwee » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:26 am

when i give the example of changes to ET, that is just that... an example... i did not say it will be a good or a bad idea cos i know i dont know any better :P. It does not have to affect 'eq' zones. The changes can affect other zones.

As to a RPQ events taking several months, this should be in order... just to show how epic it is :P

As to calendar of events versus the fast moving game time, the even we looking at is like once every few game years... i dont know if that is too much. But think again... it would be fun...

Imagine the builtup for tiamat... Tiamat is currently the most epic zone of all... lets create a reason why tiamat even needs doing RP-wise... make it once per boot to randomly cause havoc in a home city, going rampage in that city and killing EVERY inhabitants she came across...

Could also make it so that whenever it gets to few wounds make it recalls to its lair... In my opinion, that rampage by the queen of dragon is reason enough for all races to unite to do her in.

Well that sort of thing...

Could have warning system in the city (city crier) that gives a different sort of shouts everytime that sort of random event occurs so that people can be more aware.

Anyway... just some ideas.

Regards

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”