Alignment Adjustment - The Never-Ending Battle

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Yasden
Sojourner

Alignment Adjustment - The Never-Ending Battle

Postby Yasden » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:55 am

While I don't feel there's anything wrong with time sinks in terms of developing your character, I don't believe one of them should be having to "fix" yourself after every major zone.

With the majority of zones being either neutral (Izan's), or evil (pretty much every other zone), it's extremely difficult to maintain a neutral alignment, especially for the one class that requires it. While I still don't think druids should be restricted to neutral alignment and converted into 3.5e versions, I also think that a check should be put in place to help curb the enormous time investment it takes to fix your alignment.

Moving from +200 to -200 alignment is 401 points. I normally try to stay at roughly -250. A double pop of Izan's and a Meilech or TTF run took my alignment from -285 to +110 the other day. In one night! I spent 2 hours the next day just getting it back down to -130.

Now, I still believe that a hard-coded RP scenario should be implemented to shift alignment the way it should be. However, until that time comes, how about creating a check on the code to NOT move your alignment on killing a mob if it is A. aggressive and B. higher level than you. This way people can still do their "alignment", and it will still affect doing XP, as most XP mobs are non-aggressive. Doing zones however, this should curb 90-95% of the alignment gaining. I feel that this would be a LOT less difficult than trying to create a scaling formula based on level/current align/mob's align.

So, is a easy fix like this possible anytime soon? I hate having to slaughter innocent animals once or twice a week to purge myself of my "goodness" for killing a bunch of neutral aggressive warrior mobs (Izan's) in self-defense. This sort of align fixing is something TOTALLY not suited to being a druid of the balance as Toril's druids have been known to be for the last decade.

-Deathmagnet
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:00 am

solution

dont play druid

go -1000 stay -1000 live it, love it
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:16 am

How much self defense is it when you storm into THEIR home to steal THEIR loot?

Just my random irreverent thought of the evening :) Carry on.
Eilistraee
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:02 am

I think you are aiding the poor comarians? But if we are breaking into their homes and stealing their stuff for our own power and gain, why is our align going to good for doing it?

I obliterate every animal in the surrounding forests of waterdeep after each zone to keep my druidicness in check.

There arn't many benefits to being neutral, and it is the hardest alignment to keep by far, it really is boring smiting those fluffy bunnies.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:51 pm

Smiting fuzzy woodland creatures on a massive scale should make you evil! PURE UNADULTERATED EVIL!!! Especially bunnies. And Bambi.

Jeffrey Dohmer used to smite woodland creatures, right before he started cooking people.
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:50 pm

Ruxur wrote:solution

dont play druid

You dont well anyone anyway!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:44 pm

Its being addressed...I think you'll be happy with the changes.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:58 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply Shev! Looking forward to the changes. :D
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:10 pm

8)

You should choose your alignment when you start playing and that should be the way it is and not change for any ingame reasons (except maybe petitioning). The idea that someone who is good aligned can go and kill an innocent and still be gooed aligned (albeit with a tiny nick in their alignment) is silly. Any purposeful murder should drop you right into evil and you should not be able to come back from evil without a ton of atonement. That's why you should just have your alignment permanently set and ignore this whole silliness of taking on whatever alignment is most useful to you at the time.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”