Hometown

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Lilira
Sojourner

Hometown

Postby Lilira » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:14 pm

A hard-coded quest where you could change your home town.

Racial restrictions would still apply.. no humans moving to DK or anything.

Any thoughts?
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:23 pm

a 10 fold 'hell yeah' comes to mind. what bout lich? Could make them hometown in bloodstone :P
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:32 pm

Thilindel wrote:a 10 fold 'hell yeah' comes to mind. what bout lich? Could make them hometown in bloodstone :P

*sigh*

Shoulda said racial/class restrictions still apply....

EWWW
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:44 pm

What's bloodstone and limits have to do with anything?
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:49 pm

As much as I like this idea I see two outcomes.

1: If which town you could choose was rather loose, the majority of people would choose the same town for the convienence purposes(WD or VT dependent on alignment preference), which would kinda defeat the purpose of having different home towns to begin with. In this scenario I think RP is a better avenue than a hardcoded quest.

2: If it really was racially/class restricted most races would not have many options. Humans have a lot (WD/BG/CP/ZK), but most of the other races have 2 places at best.

My general feelings are that while new hometowns/functional towns (i.e. inn, bank, etc) are way cool, unless its a convient location it doesn't add a whole lot unless its loaded with quests/things to do and is friendly to a lot of races (ala ZK). It's awesome to see Menzo in finally, but people still pick DK because its more conviently located to allow groupage/CR. Even if DK drow could switch easily through some kind of plat sink or quest I doubt many would.

I have however fanicied the idea of being able to pay for a one time respwan in a hometown of your choice (Say under the guise of paying a local cleric to reviv you, or whatever). For example, paying/questing some mob in ZK that for one death only will restart you in ZK rather than your hometown. If you die and you've done the quest, you restart in said city rather than your normal hometown. Die again, back at your usual spot (unless you repaid/quested).

IMO this would make a lot of sense in that people could, for the right price, assure they are closer to recovery should they goof up. Using ZK as an example again, would allow for a much faster CR from the surrounding area for those who's hometown is on the other side of the map. Could throw in racial discrimination in the fee's based on which city as well for added flavor. This would allow those who want to 'live' somewhere else to do so for a price, while still keeping the racial population seperated a bit. (Something I like, though I know many do not).

/2cents
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:31 pm

Actually Botef, I was thinking the quest should/could be a really PITA one to do.. (talking along the caliber of a khanjari quest) where you actually end up betraying the city you were once a citizen of.

(Yeah yeah.. I got the idea from the EQ2 betrayal quest.)

The idea of being outcast from WD.. *twirl* Wouldn't that be different!!

However, I did notice it seems to be something covered by RPQ. There was the option for a bit where DK drow could move to Menzo by participating in the RPQ-run events.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:57 pm

I don't like the idea.

If it was implemented however it should add your hometown to the outcast list, just like when a necromancer turn lich. The quest should also only be possible in selected hometowns. Say, a human from WD can do a quest in wd, get outcast, and thus move somewhere else (Beliur if helping halflings etc).

But there shouldn't be a quest in other towns, e.g. Hyssk.

Moving hometown is a big issue if you can word of recall.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”