Why do you level alts?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.

Why did you START leveling alts?

Its fun
14%
Its more fun than zoning
No votes
I was bored of my other character
23%
I was bored waiting for zone/quest/reboot
5%
I couldn't zone because we didn't have the right classes (or no room for my class)
32%
No one invites me to zone
9%
I don't have time to zone, but I can exp a new char
9%
To play with a friend/newbie who just started
9%
So that I can say I have an alt of every class
No votes

Total votes: 22
kiryan
Sojourner

Why do you level alts?

Postby kiryan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:19 pm

The poll question is why did you START leveling alts.

Post replies if you want to tell us why you level alts now if its different than why you started.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:43 pm

I started my first alt this wipe as a shaman so that evils could zone. Actually going back 10 years ago thats why i made my first sorc alt so I could outcast and zone with evils (well cuz sok wanted to go evil).

The reason I continue to level alts today is for a variety of reasons... I have made a new alt at one time or another for virutally every reason on the poll. The most significant two are probably: one... because it doesn't take as much concentration as a zone, so I can bot it while playing another game or surfing the web, or writing bbs posts. two... so I can have one of every class.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:07 pm

I lol'd
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:51 pm

I have

49 orc shaman
46 orc battlechanter
42 gnome enchanter
50 grey elf warrior
50 lich
50 barbarian shaman
42 elementalist
49 grey elf bard
50 rogue
50 illusionist

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:07 pm

I level alts simply because a lot of the time I don't have the time for a 2-3 hour zone, or don't want to commit. With an alt/exp I can just say I gotta split and get up from the keyboard. Or, a lot of the time like it has been it's just Jennifer and I playing we can just stop and do something else and leave ourselves idle.

For the record, lets see.

50 Ranger
50 Lich
49 Warrior (Dorf)
48 Rogue (EFHR)
47 Rogue (Male Human)
46 Warrior (Troll)
46 Warrior (Elf)
43 Invoker
41 Anti
38 Illus
38 Warrior (Ogre)
36 Elven Bard
etc. A lot more below 36.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:15 am

I just want to bump this thread so it's then beating the other thread titled exactly the same title.
Masrick
Sojourner

Postby Masrick » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:13 pm

I level alts(in all muds/mmorpgs I've played) because I like the play style of more than just my initial class choice.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:37 pm

I agree with the above posters.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:23 pm

In about 12 or so years of various incarnations of this mud, being active for most of that time period, I have never had a character above level 49. In fact, Corth hit level 49 for all of maybe two hours and promptly got smited several times and never went above 47 again. I have always found exp to be excruciating. I suppose it isn't so bad.. maybe even fun, for others.. but I just don't get it. I have one real alt this wipe.. and interestingly enough, its an evil illusionist. They were a fun class to play at first.. I wasn't interested in playing anything else.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:26 am

Vexus sucks.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:19 am

you forgot the "because im a fucking masochist" option.

and quite frankly thats what the reason for me rolling an alt was... a little behind that was the reason that evilraces did not have enough shamans and i figured since they had pets... they'd be easier to solo exp from. HA! got the short end of the stick there
then rolled a human voker so i could get into even a bit of zoning.. got pleveled some and forgot all about the painful, hellish exp in toril (remembered it fast tho as i tried to lfgc for exp and got no responses :P) finally im exping a little illusionist.. so one day i no longer depend on anybody else to freaking exp :(

i hate torilexp (tm) with a vengeance and im a moron so i keep exping chars and hating it... there's your answer

****edit****
mm the real reason i level alts and suffer through all the pain is cause i like zoning with you guys.. even tho it takes a lot to level up a new char and relevel after i die following nerox! heh i like zoning in the game.. i do but i do hate the exp and timesinks this game has

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”