Would be interesting if..

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Would be interesting if..

Postby Thilindel » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:40 pm

Darned spellbook descripts I've just read.

Think the mud would be a little more fun if:

Casting earthquake gave a chance that earth elementals would come and attack (as per the true spell, due to them not liking your manipulation)

Also, when casting embodiment, it would seem an elemental, just along the lines like summoning them and they are NOT pleased, have a chance a relative elemental would attack you briefly for drawing power from its plane. Sure would spice things up a bit!

I saw the book at the mall, so hopefully I remember those descripts correctly!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:53 pm

I don't see an elemental breaking through a planar boundary just to maintain the purity of their race and slay you for creating a Harlindrel-Fire Elemental hybrid... or do I?

I'm not clear on the exact nature of the spell, but I didn't think that creating an earthquake granted earth elementals the ability to suddenly cross over either. Its not like you're creating a giant chasm that leads to the plane of earth, you're just causing the ground to tremble and shake... right?
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:22 pm

Regarding Earthquake:

"When this spell is cast. . . Finally, Earth Elementals dislike mere mortals toying witht he land and there is a small chance that casting this spell will cause an Earth Elemental to appear. The Elemental will attack the person or party responsible for the manipulation of the land."

Going by that description from the handbook, that's what I was meaning.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:30 pm

An important distinction to make is that on the MUD, earthquake is a low level spell that, as Gormal states, just causes the ground to shake.

The player's handbook description lists it as a high level (7th I believe) spell that sufficiently sunders the earth to tear down walls and other buildings over a large area.
Eilistraee
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:37 pm

ok then, how about fly flag making me 100% impervious to earthquake.
I could be wrong here, but I would just swear that I've hit the ground more than one time, despite the fact that I wear perm fly eq. But maybe im wrong..
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:39 pm

You really want every mob group with an enchanter to be impervious to earthquakes?
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:35 pm

No. Not every mob group. Not mobs. Not even other players... I said 'me'. =P

but yeah, point taken, even if still it makes NO sense how something floating in the air is taken down by the ground shaking. Perhaps toss in a description for earthquake saying that the tremors can even produce shockwaves in the air or something. whatevah..

Hmm on second thought, why not make the game a bit harder? People would have to come up with some new tactics here and there, especially in newer zones that actually use the new class flags for mobs. As it is, clerics should be casting heal spells anyhow, not earthquake <wink> (let the battle/flamewar begin...).
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:36 pm

I agree with you that it makes sense for the fly spell to protect you from earthquake which it obviously doesn't. Its always been rumored that levitate offers protection though, but no one has ever done any real testing. I'd like to see someone test it with an ogre in the room or something and compare the difference of 50+ earthquakes. With agility going away in 2.0 I'm sure that other things will affect earthquake as well.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:08 pm

daggaz wrote:but yeah, point taken, even if still it makes NO sense how something floating in the air is taken down by the ground shaking. Perhaps toss in a description for earthquake saying that the tremors can even produce shockwaves in the air or something. whatevah..

Well, since you are close enough for him to slap you around in melee, just pretend the mob got bounced up into you and knocked you to the ground. How's that?
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:24 am

Some gamelogic doesn't go well, like an air or fire elemental being tail swept. Yet all wraithform is immune to bash or trip. Everything passes right through them, yet you can hit them unarmed. A group of giants can walk in and hit one and only one person. The radius around a player wouldn't be enough for 10+ giants to stand and fit, let alone swing. Etc. Mob AI seems to find the same one or two players in a group when they enter. That itself is pretty bad. Seemingly anyway.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:57 am

I'm willing to suspend the "reality" of a situation for gameplay to a certain extent. Things like flying not offering a save versus earthquake though raise a flag for me. I'm even willing to recline past a field mouse in a single file room for the fun and interesting opportunities those rooms provide.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:26 am

Some tails produce a lot of air current.

Apparently you've never watched the women of Imphras.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:36 am

You all should see what Ashiwi can do to herself with her tail.... I've said too much.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:27 am

Don't make her lapdance you again.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”