review time sinks and other stuff

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Latreg
Sojourner

review time sinks and other stuff

Postby Latreg » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:00 pm

30x failed searches with 116 int (human) on air ship, searching corpses should NOT be that difficult, if they can be made different that searching for a hidden door, it would make more sense. Unless searching corpses involved body cavities. Basically going through pockets etc isn't all that difficult.

Aging, please turn it off, with the pbase the way it is, lack of rejuvers just makes it a p.i.t.a. it adds nothing to the game what so ever imo. The mobs that have an aging proc you could make like res fx, that while it can last for a certain amount of time it wears off eventually. Kind of like eating and drinking, there is no point to it anymore.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:44 pm

It is rather annoying that 'bugs' in the game, no matter how tiny or seen as an aid to the player, are quickly removed upon discovery. Yet, conveniences such as SEARCH, and many other chronic complaints typically don't get a god reply..let alone remedied. In this case, the voice of the people seemingly isn't being heard :(

Search on Duris worked first try. Sure the heck didn't seem overpowered to me. Just how many times do you have to search out the same 'secret' or bush opening on EM, where you've spent your whole life?

Also, even in a dark room or when blinded, there should be at least a chance to pick up a fumbled weapon. This falls under the same type post. Just because you're using infravision or it's just plain dark, there's a significant chance to find a weapon. You'll know closely where it landed due to the sound. Having to wait until light, while the game is autosaving by default, sure isn't a very reliable method.

Yet again, it goes to a good post that was not replied to by gods: Fumbled weapons and other items in water rooms. Since you are STANDING in water rooms, you should be able to search out what was fumbled. Just drag your feet, for common sense' sake :P
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: review time sinks and other stuff

Postby Gormal » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Latreg wrote:Aging, please turn it off

Please do not do this. And please turn hunger/thirst back on. Forced realism is good for things like this that are easily fixable (yes its easy to get rejuvs.)
Lilira
Sojourner

Re: review time sinks and other stuff

Postby Lilira » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:24 pm

Gormal wrote:
Latreg wrote:Aging, please turn it off

Please do not do this. And please turn hunger/thirst back on. Forced realism is good for things like this that are easily fixable (yes its easy to get rejuvs.)

I've been eating and drinking for years even though I don't have to. *shrug* Adds realism though I have commented at times that it feels like my elves do nothing BUT eat. *laugh*

As for rejuves.. dang.. walk the bottom level of CMs.. there's usually at least two on the south branch.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:38 pm

Listing of the Mortals!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[43 Nec] Novom (Human)
[26 Nec] Enap (Drow Elf)

who lic
Listing of the Staff
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<None>

There are 0 visible staff member(s) on.

Listing of the Mortals!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<None>

There are 0 mortal(s) on.
Current time is: Thu Feb 1 16:38:04 2007 (PST)

and don't forget all the afk'ers
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:27 am

I remember making a character I'd forgotten about. He has 8 seconds playtime and was 98 years old. I think humans start at 17 yrs old :P It'd be cool if you could tog aging or anything like that. I don't see it as too big a problem but move regen is oh, so slow for old folks.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:41 am

FWIW I was leading that Airship run and failed 40 searches (only 80ish int.) I think the problem was that we weren't getting a definitive nothing result.

I personally don't mind search not always working, but I would really like to see it given a finite difficulty value, just as traps have a certain level of difficulty.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:52 am

please dont go by the who necro listing to look for necros :P i know LOTS of us have necros and are willing to log them on for rejuvs .. hell how many people find me on for resses when im on as nonguilded anon chars :P

fwiw i will log my necro on and rejuv you if need be .. holla
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:45 pm

You LFGC: 'looking for a necro to group with'

</commonsense>
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:11 pm

i know that all sounds like a good idea but it doesnt always work gormal... infact it prety much never works. i usually hafto wait till someone i know who playes a necro/lich that isnt a drow logs on and ask them. usually i hafto wait for ided because akumida claims to not have it scribbed and well there are other excuses from others... sometimes i get lucky with aluvon
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:51 pm

I rewrote search from the ground up a couple of years ago. The number of failures mentioned in this thread is hard to believe, since you should have gotten definitive negative messages back pretty quickly. I'll check the code and see if there's a problem. Was there anything unusual about the items or corpses you were searching?
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Shevarash wrote:I rewrote search from the ground up a couple of years ago. The number of failures mentioned in this thread is hard to believe, since you should have gotten definitive negative messages back pretty quickly. I'll check the code and see if there's a problem. Was there anything unusual about the items or corpses you were searching?

no and the corpses ended up empty, maybe the problem is just with airship, but there was more than just Mori and I there searching and we where all commenting on the failure rate.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'

Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:27 pm

When you first redid search, everybody had praise. Then within a couple weeks, it seemed to fail all over again. Maybe a few months. All I remember is it used to definitely work within a few tries. Now even with 132 elf int, there are times the screen is full of search spam. And I have found items, etc on the 15+ search. It's not limited to airship
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Well, I'll check it out this weekend and let you know what I find.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:29 am

Search does an int check on the actual player now. Don't blame Shev if you're all dumb as rocks!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:23 am

There has to be more than int. my barb shaman has mundane int and can search way better than one of my elfy mages :P Maybe that mage is wearing a dunce cap
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:48 am

how bout lets let him research it before we toss more opinions :P

*wiggle*
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:51 am

Thilindel wrote:There has to be more than int. my barb shaman has mundane int and can search way better than one of my elfy mages :P Maybe that mage is wearing a dunce cap

No no, jake said it does a check on the actual player now, not the character. :(
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:39 pm

The change to search back then was really good. Especially that you now can conclude there is nothing.

I have one very wierd thing. Could just be freak accident.

Umber Hulk corpses for me needs so insane many searches compared to other corpses. And it is all umber hulks as far as I can see. Both UM1, Airship, and others.

This could ofcourse just be bad luck, but still.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Just in case

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:31 pm

Just a random insane thought, but I always thought that searches would fail more if more than one person was trying at the same time. The same goes for rooms that someone had already searched. I remember getting quick results searching, but when I did it in a room someone had already searched, it would take forever. I always thought there might be a problem with the code in that respect, with more than one person trying/having tried. Or maybe I have no idea about coding at all!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:37 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
Thilindel wrote:There has to be more than int. my barb shaman has mundane int and can search way better than one of my elfy mages :P Maybe that mage is wearing a dunce cap

No no, jake said it does a check on the actual player now, not the character. :(

I wasn't going by that! Someone in game said it was INT based, but damn if it's by the actual player..then rut roh, I'll be searching all night *sigh*
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:24 am

amolol wrote:sometimes i get lucky with aluvon

Does he know about this?
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 am

Shevarash wrote:Well, I'll check it out this weekend and let you know what I find.

Not sure what you did or didn't find, but it took forever to 'find' this:

<600h>
<P> searc
You don't find anything.

<600h>
<P> searc
hol orb
You don't find anything.

<600h>
<P> searc
You hold the orb of the cloud giants.

<599h>