A helpful idea?

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner

A helpful idea?

Postby Thilindel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:14 pm

WHERE
Syntax: where <argument_list>
where ? : for a complete list of valid arguments

This command lists what zone a player currently is in the game, and whether or not they are in combat.

Note: "where" is a USER command and is only available to make the mud
more playable from within a text environment.

I got this idea from sending several tells that seemed to be ignored. Then I realized they were in fighting spam from one of our favorite zones! I feel this command would certainly help new players if they're sending tells asking questions and feel they are being ignored.

I'm not quite looking for realism, obviously. Just like 'tells' is in no way real. Since when can you basically send an IM to any player, regardless of location in the mud. :P Tells are helpful for talking to another player. I do think this 'where' command would be beneficial as well. I'm also thinking about the clairvoyance spell. I don't see how this 'where' command is remotely as specific as clairvoyance.

IE 'Where Corth'

Corth seems to be in the town of Waterdeep and does not seem to be engaged in combat.

or 'Where Lilithelle'

Lilithelle seems to be in pitched battle in the Seelie Faerie Court region.

But, even if you 'You tell bob 'hi' Bob is currently fighting for his life and may not see your tell.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 am

big brother (or sister) is watching??
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:15 pm

No!! That violates my privacy!!! (/sarcasm, sorry channeling another thread)

Seriously, there are too many twinkability issues with this command. Not only that, its essentially giving clair to everyone on the mud, so what's the use of having the spell? There are times I might not want everyone to know where I am cus I'm being quiet and selfish and just want to play with my own toys and not group with anyone.

Tell captures are pretty easy to set up with Zmud. For friends that you're trying to talk to that might not have them, suggest setting them up? Helps with gsays too.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:02 pm

I really don't like this idea because it creates the obligation to respond. Also, there are many other possible situations wherein someone may not be able to respond (silenced, casting moonwell/ress, afk in wd in ressfx but not tagged afk, getting press spammed in room full of pressers with pile of corpses, getting harrassed in RL, taking a phone call) and I don't relish the thought of making coders try to catch them all.

Though it is interesting to see the issues other players have with voicing legitimate concerns.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:08 pm

I personally don't care for the command simply because it's pretty useless. Really, it's not a needed to command. If you have to worry about why someone isn't responding, then you're worrying way to much about crap :P It's just really not needed. Clair is fine.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:52 am

I wasn't sure how others would think about it. I wasn't all for this to be honest. I was wondering mainly how often other players send tells and what not thinking that they're being ignored :P The other input is some stuff I hadn't thought of really
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:25 pm

I think it is a horrible command that never should be implemented.

The line you get when you send a tell and they can't see you is really nice.

You can clair them, and you can also teach them to #cap tells.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:52 am

Gunna hafta shoot this command idea down as well. Clairvoyance and a good knowledge of the zones on the mud is the answer you are looking for.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”