Rares and Restrings - lvl specific

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Tral
Sojourner

Rares and Restrings - lvl specific

Postby Tral » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Just brainstorming a bit...

How about rares and/or restrings for anyone?

For instance, any mob, at any given time has a potential to drop a rare item that is level specific for the person killing the mob or the lowest lvl member of a group.

I was talking about this with another member of the mud and I had an idea that maybe the dock master could drop a 'forever' ticket to any boat to/from WD. Or the merchants east of the south dock master could drop instead of a tiny diamond worth 2 plat, an exquisite diamond worth 20, or 50 plat. (just 2 random examples)

A mob might have a restrung weapon with a proc that is level specific. Not necesarily viewable in the mobs inventory, but all the same the item could be there. For instance, a lvl 15 warrior might get a restrung shield that is slightly modified to have an extra hit, or +str above what a normal shield would have. Stretch it so that at any given time 3 or 4 of these items could load across the world. The problem is... You don't know where they are... My thought is that this could promote travel, exploration, and add importance to many different areas that are routinely ignored. I don't have a perfect idea of how this could work, like I said... just brainstorming.

The aforementioned 'other' player that I was discussing this with mentioned something about quests for items like the 'ever ticket'. Do tasks for the harbor master to get the item instead of making it a rare/drop item. Then he had the idea about becoming a friend of a town. For instance, do enough work for Lord P that he gives you essentially the key to the city. You won't have to wait for the gates to open ever again... just pullout your handy keyring and let yourself in.

Do restrings hurt anyone? I'm sure the immorts 'watch in' on folks from time to time... Is there a paladin in Scardale that has been extremely helpful to new players? How about presenting them with a special badge acknowledging their leadership and graciousness.

Not sure how you could reign in these items except if you can make them no transfer... or transient. Also, if a player outgrows his lvl 15 shield and it has served him well until lvl 30, once he gets a better item, let him sell it in a shop for a reasonable 'treasure' amount... but don't let it be resold.

Like I said... just some ideas... I'm sure this has been brought up before in some context, just wondering if anyone else has considered this recently.

-tral

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”