Group exp

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Dalar
Sojourner

Group exp

Postby Dalar » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:18 am

How about coding the 2.0 group exp changes into the current version of Toril? Sounds alot better and easier for newer players to level up.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:42 am

really not a bad idea..
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:18 pm

Something tells me that the underlying framework for the game engine needs to be in place before such a thing could go live.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:53 am

at least fix the darned pets since the pets are an extension of the master
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:18 pm

Thilindel wrote:at least fix the darned pets since the pets are an extension of the master

Eilistraee already answered that in a thread I started a couple of weeks ago. See Tasan's earlier response.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:32 pm

Tasan wrote:Something tells me that the underlying framework for the game engine needs to be in place before such a thing could go live.

If you wanted to copy paste the code yea. Just add a similar formula to Toril 1.0's existing system.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Dalar wrote:
Tasan wrote:Something tells me that the underlying framework for the game engine needs to be in place before such a thing could go live.

If you wanted to copy paste the code yea. Just add a similar formula to Toril 1.0's existing system.

See, here is why you shouldn't be posting. You obviously haven't read anything about the 2.0 conversion. So you have no frame of reference here, Dartan. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:16 am

Tasan wrote:
Dalar wrote:

See, here is why you shouldn't be posting. You obviously haven't read anything about the 2.0 conversion. So you have no frame of reference here, Dartan. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

1) Experience Split - Goodbye Grouping Penalty

Rather than split the total amount of experience gained from each kill, the entire group involved in the kill now receives a full share. That is, whether the group consists of 1, 5, or 15 members, all members receive the exact same amount of experience. This change does not negatively affect solo experience, but it does provide a bonus when adding more people to the party, as the party can now kill faster and safer without sacrificing any individual experience gain. It should be noted that there are measures in place to prevent power-leveling which I won't go into here.

Seeing as how you have such a huge overview of 2.0, tell me how this is impossible to implement? Prove your maturity by actually backing up your claims with facts rather than insults.

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:07 am

They've flicked switches with group exp before that weren't coding a new wheel. I don't see the problem with switching it back to full exp on kill despite the number of members in a group.

I remember that code very much so. I remember the pets get no exp code too, and how that was easily changed.

So flick some switches to make it similar to what 2.0 will be until it goes in. What's the big deal?
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:16 pm

Dalar wrote:Seeing as how you have such a huge overview of 2.0, tell me how this is impossible to implement? Prove your maturity by actually backing up your claims with facts rather than insults.

Impossible to implement... no. But that's not what you said before so, pulling this response out of your ass has nothing to do with the 2.0 implementation.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:07 am

This thread is entertaining and diverting.

Oh, and fixing pet killstealing would help all pet classes. That's druids, eles, illus, shamans, and necros, plus potentially antis.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:46 am

IMHO, experience is the biggest obstacle for newbie atm (as I thought in my other long post).

Plvl'ing is going to happen regardless, and on the other side, group xp distribution is whack atm.

I can see plvl'ing abuse happening mainly on upper end, where DS/Ship/Duergar groups let anyone leech (most like "connected" players more so than true noobs) than taking the effort to step down to mid-lvl xp. So this means at lvl 1-40, you're killing mobs conning Are you mad? and above.

So the basic idea is to remove xp distrubution based on lvl & # of people in group.

To prevent the additional plvl route to some degree, how about also basing xp based on difference in mob lvl in a negative fashion.

What separates alt/plvl chars and real noobs? Alt/plvl kills/leeches from Are you mad?+ mobs - real noobs can only realisitcally kill lucky punk? and below.

So I would say mobs 6+ lvls of the player instead of getting the massive base xp + a massive lvl bonus xp, get rid of the bonus xp and multiply it by < 1.

That would be the safeguard (which actually might not be a bad idea in itself) for opening full xp to all in group, since the adjusting factor would be mob lvl difference and a better indication if someone is getting plvl'ed or not.

Plvl'ing also is only applicable to lvls below 41 imho - after lvl 41+, everyone can contribute to a solid xp group in some fasion.

Here's some examples (xp/kill):

Plvl'ing: lvl 1-10 (20 - max 25%), lvl 11-20 (15-20%), lvl 21-25 (10-15%), lvl 26-30 (5-10%), lvl 31-41 (anything around 5% & speed of kills make difference, but not much we can do about speed of kills)

Non-plvling - lvls 1-10 (solo'ing w/o eq takes FOREVER. But here, it's a little different, since you can only kill even level mobs and maybe 1-2 lvls above you mobs, which are the mobs that give 10 (most likely)-15%. So 1 thing is, just to take care of xp at this lvl, cap the max xp/mob from 25 to 15%)
lvls 11-20 (5-10%), lvls 21-40 u already at the 1-5% mark from just killing around lvl to lucky punk realistically (ie bgr, monestary, yuan-tis)

Okay, so to get huge xp from maybe lvl 1-25/30, you gotta be actively plvl'ed (ie leeching DS, or high lvl giving u solo kills of Are you mad?+). Around 31-41 the difference in xp gained from leeching DS etc. is diminished, so most just go to stuff a few lvl's above and most efficient to rely of speed of kills.

Speed of kills can't be adjusted, but the big % lvl 1-30 can be w/<1 multiple reduction, which if u view it another way, "caps" xp gained by lvl. Ie at lvl 1-10 you should be capped at 10-15% cuz that's what a real noob would get at best, lvls 11-20 it would "cap" you at 5-10% etc.

And now people can group all they want and won't be getting massive 20-25% (lvl 1-10), 15-20% (11-20), etc., but more in line w/what they get xp'ing w/real groups by themselves. Speed of kills would be sped up, so I would even say the adjustment factor be more pronounced to take this into account.

This would make it more attractive for 5 lvl 30'ers to run around killing things lvl 40 or so, than to just leech from a couple of lvl 50'ers.

Yes another long post from me.

Oh, and I'd say yes to all pets EXCEPT necro/liches not taking xp. elementals/spirits/etc. those classes that rely on those pets for solo'ing xp still have to put in a deal of work and damage before a mob dies.

Necro has been an absolute blast lvl'ing, the funnest out of any mages by far (lvl'ing - playing, illu is the best). We already tear through mobs, and to make it so you don't have to work to try to squeeze that extra bit of xp is just too much icing on cake.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Dear Devs

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:49 pm

Would you please flick some of those switches that can control aspects of the game, and do this with EXP? I just did some exp for a couple of hours last night for the first time in 3 years. Man... it is not fun. Like 3 kills for 1% in a 2 person group, yuck!

After playing other games for the last few years, the grind here is BRUTAL in comparison! I don't feel elitist by being able to exp here and everything else (even 60-70 on WoW) as a cakewalk, I feel like a fricking idiot for waisting so much time for so little gain.

I am aware the staff is building something new, and even working on the old. I applaud that! Unfortunately hardly anyone seems to be playing nowadays in comparison to when I played actively. I just don't understand how you can substantiate the EXP loss on death and the horrible grind to get it back. I don't think you could either, and this is why it has been announced to change in 2.0.

But 2.0 isn't here yet. As a result, can you PLEASE just take a day out and do something so it isn't so god awful while we wait for the new version of the game and allow what we do have to be a little more enjoyable during this horrible state of the player base?

Pretty Please with Sugar on Top!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:12 am

Tasan wrote:
Dalar wrote:Seeing as how you have such a huge overview of 2.0, tell me how this is impossible to implement? Prove your maturity by actually backing up your claims with facts rather than insults.

Impossible to implement... no. But that's not what you said before so, pulling this response out of your ass has nothing to do with the 2.0 implementation.

So what did I say Twyl? How about this. You haven't made a single good point throughout this thread and you're relying on childish accusations to somehow make me look bad. All you're doing is making yourself look like a horrible player who has a silly grudge against me. Did Jazdak steal your BBS account? Yea, I went there.

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:44 pm

Please treat each other with respect or, failing that, civility on these forums. Nothing ruins a constructive thread faster than slinging around personal attacks.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”