Group XP

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Group XP

Postby Teyaha » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:09 am

unfortunately the last thread was locked but it had some great ideas

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19733

anyway, is there any possibility to putting this in while we wait for 2.0? i realize there may be issues with people powerlevelling each other, but i dont see that as big of a downside anymore. it would only be a problem if someone is plevelling a player brand new to the game as then they dont learn how to get around on their own at least a little.

the 'this' i refer to being the removal of the group xp penalty. would be nice to have a group of 5-6 people tearing through the ship for xp again without the chanters and clerics biting their nails watching their xp bars move at 1/3 the rate of the rest of the group, and could possibly in turn get people socializing more often?

i know we had something kinda like this during sojourn 3 whre pets didnt take xp anymore. i dont know if that was a pet specific thing that can be easily translated to how player characters interact. but if we could remove the group penalty (and at teh same time remove dmg xp) whlie we wait for 2.0 that is supposed to have such changes it would be much appreciated!
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: Group XP

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:57 am

There is a group of 4-5 people exping on ship every day with the exp system as it is, and no one is excluded. I'd like a little more exploration into this 'we' you mention... does this mean you've been logging on in secret?
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:11 am

i play about 5 hours a week on average.

that's good people are doing ship again. for a while now if a group got to be more than 3, someone would bail and complain the xp rate wasnt good enough because the group was too big.

i know group xp split is being eliminated in 2.0, just thought it would be handy to see it's impact now.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:38 am

Tasan already said it can't be done, sorry Teyaha.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:20 am

edit.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:57 pm

I've considered adding the 2.0 experience system prior to 2.0 itself, but honestly I'm not sure it would work out all that well. That experience system is tied, balance-wise, to the re-architecture of the class system and pulling out of that context may not be a good idea. It needs further thought, and I will consider it.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Encouraging people to take 15 people for exp is not the solution to the problems that the game has in this area. Support classes getting substantially less exp than damage-dealers, trophy being a non-issue, and the biggest: inconsistent exp gains between zones.

There's been a steady trend of putting in new and more efficient exp zones, (Ship->DS->Randars->CM) CM allows you to never leave one zone and almost any combination of 2 people can do good exp there, and there's plenty of solo exp possible even with less than optimal gear.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:50 pm

The 2.0 exp system is a little more involved than just encouraging 15 people to exp. Besides the issue of exp loss and ress, it also addresses the problem of support classes receiving less experience by only gaining exp on kills, and equalizing the exp tables. I don't think it's mentioned in the announcement, but it is intended to go with a new trophy system as well.

Also, I'm not sure I've ever announced that 2.0 standardizes all experience given out by mobs - so while some zones can be laid out better for doing experience runs, equivalent mobs will reward the same exp regardless of what zone they're in. This addresses the inconsistent exp gains between zones, and combined with the other changes has the side effect of making many high level zones the best exp in the game.

Sadly, writing this post has really reinforced how integral to the other 2.0 components the new exp system is, which makes the prospect of pulling it out and applying it to the existing codebase seem like a bad idea...
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:03 pm

Is the experience equalization based purely on level, or does class still affect how much they have to offer?
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:06 pm

I was referring to the fact that all classes now share one common experience table. That, combined with the fact that exp is only given out for the kill, means that any two characters of the same level that kill the same mobs will level at the exact same rate, regardless of class.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Damage xp is still worth a ton. Lower exp tables and get rid of damage exp! Also, getting exp if you're one room away would be nice too.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Damage exp is a lot, especially compared to heal/stone exp which is negligible.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 pm

Uh..

I'm trying to say - albeit not very well apparently - that in 2.0 there is no damage, heal, or stone experience. You only get experience from the kill itself.

I've thought about implementing the 1-room away thing as well, but haven't thus far.

Just to be clear, my previous statements are talking about 2.0, not the Exp band-aids from late last year.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:28 pm

Sounds excellent to me, I'm not sure how tough the 1-room thing would be but it would be so incredibly nice with how we're forced to do many fights.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”