Anonymous

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
flib
Sojourner

Anonymous

Postby flib » Wed May 28, 2008 12:47 am

Remove it, the playerbase is too small to allow this kind of feature, either that or add anon's to the who list. You could in place put in a dnd tag ala WoW, this feature is outdated and should be removed.
Vikaz
Sojourner

Re: Anonymous

Postby Vikaz » Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 am

+1
V
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 28, 2008 2:58 am

It's not like it's too much to ask for it being removed. There's lvl 5 critters that track. There's wimpy mobs that can DI a lvl 50 player. So why not have anon removed. Or at least only 'sense' who it is or what class if player doing 'who' is higher level ..maybe same lvl
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Wed May 28, 2008 3:17 am

anonymous makes since because some players really dont want other players to know what they are doing at any given time.

some players (ressing clerics) dont want endless tells of busy can you ress me.

some players (squids/druids) dont want endless tells of busy can you well me.

some examples where anonymous is fine and useful....
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Wed May 28, 2008 3:34 am

then have anon stay on but they should still be on the who list. if a new guy comes on and they look at the who list and they see 60 ppl and 15 of em are anon it looks much much better than for them to just see 45 ppl. also a DND flag setup would make it so the character be it chanter/cleric/psi whatever if set up to not be bothered, wouldnt be. so no al I disagree with u. I can find no good reason for people to truly be anonymous.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 28, 2008 10:09 am

While some games don't sport the anonymous feature, I think that its always served a purpose here and sometimes you just don't want to be bothered. Kegor and various triggers can already circumvent it, so its not too big of a deal. A bit of mystery for new players about who might be online isn't necessarily a bad thing.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 pm

I just think more players for a new guy to see means they see more activity, I honestly don't care if you're anonymous on the who list, at least you're on the who list. The dnd flag would cure the issue of being bothered.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 28, 2008 4:54 pm

It's hard to argue either way. Why would any person, lvl 1 or lvl 50, just stand there and know who all is in the game. But, on the other hand, a higher lvl person should be pretty accurate in knowing what class another player is.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed May 28, 2008 5:30 pm

I prefer keeping Anon. There are times I like to be on the mud and solo. Completely. There are times some of us just want to get on and kill stuff without socializing. Having the who list with the visible anon flag still wrecks that capability. "Oh look... I'm making a zone group... okay... hmm... don't remember what Krulla is. *send Kegor a tell* Ohhhhh.. Krulla is an enchanter." Okay.. Krulla probably had anon on so she/he/it wouldn't be bothered, but is now going to be bothered.

Please leave Anon alone.

Thanks.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed May 28, 2008 5:39 pm

I attempted to address this by including anonymous users in the count at the bottom of the who list. Maybe that number needs to be more prominent, or maybe even the default "who" command should just show a brief line with the total number of players onlien rather than spitting out the whole list. That could be "who all" or something instead. Just a thought.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Moving the numbers to the top of the regular (unargumented) who list and maybe hitting them with a touch of the ansi wand would probably be a good call. If people are making more specific who queries, then I'd say leave the numbers are the bottom if thats possible.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Thu May 29, 2008 1:30 am

truthfully lil, if you're in that frame of mind togging tells is the solution. people who know your character, zone leaders are still going to be able to tell you if you have anon on, your argument doesn't really hold up :P.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu May 29, 2008 5:18 am

If you ask Kegor to set that character to unlisted, then people aren't going to find you online unless you want them to really.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu May 29, 2008 9:14 am

I will advice to everybody not to be hidden or invis.

If you are hidden or invis then new players can't see you are online and that gives them a wrong impression of the mud.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu May 29, 2008 9:16 am

You'd better give the same advice to anyone who idles in a town then.
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Thu May 29, 2008 5:06 pm

Sugestion:

Take a look at the who code from Homeland. Any old homelander have a screenshot of the wholist and how it dealt with anon/hidden/invis?

Think it used to go like

Code: Select all

[50 Rog] PlayerA (hidden)
[50 Enc] PlayerB (invisible)
[Anon]   PlayerC

My 2c on this is, Toril is at a stage where the social and gameplay implications of not seeing a well populated who list far outweigh any RP repercussions it might have.
V
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu May 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Vikaz wrote:Sugestion:

Take a look at the who code from Homeland. Any old homelander have a screenshot of the wholist and how it dealt with anon/hidden/invis?

Think it used to go like

Code: Select all

[Anon]   PlayerC

My 2c on this is, Toril is at a stage where the social and gameplay implications of not seeing a well populated who list far outweigh any RP repercussions it might have.

With that, take it and run:

[Anon] PlayerC[/code]
[Anti-Social] Player D
[Semi-AFK] Player E

Make anti-social disables tells, globals, and mwrites until it's togged off.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 pm

Sometimes its nice to be invisible when your doing something like a rare or quest. Since clair is so common I'd rather this not get removed as the only alternative is playing or bugging an illusionist.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Lilira wrote:I prefer keeping Anon. There are times I like to be on the mud and solo. Completely. There are times some of us just want to get on and kill stuff without socializing. Having the who list with the visible anon flag still wrecks that capability. "Oh look... I'm making a zone group... okay... hmm... don't remember what Krulla is. *send Kegor a tell* Ohhhhh.. Krulla is an enchanter." Okay.. Krulla probably had anon on so she/he/it wouldn't be bothered, but is now going to be bothered.

There's a way to have kegor tell you what class an alt is?
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri May 30, 2008 3:38 am

I argue botef that you're being paranoid, I as a mage do use clairs but i'm honestly not sure how much info besides the room name you can get off of it.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 30, 2008 7:32 am

Plenty if I'm trying to pop a mob/fight, or in a hidden area. But really its just about the option for privacy, though I do tog anon when I'm doing something I don't want players to see. Keeping my solo character who I play more than my warrior unguilded is because of the anon option.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri May 30, 2008 9:48 am

I still don't really see the point to an option for togging tells then if anon is about privacy. I like that antisocial thing that looks interesting, I mean shoot you could make antisocials unclairable idk. I just wanna be able to see who's on at any given time. even if I can't tell them or clair them.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 30, 2008 10:19 am

If you're anon, then in theory, only people who you want to know that you're on can see you. Even if I'm not anon, there's times I tog tells to prevent distractions. I haven't togged tells in quite a while, but I like to option to shut myself off from the world if I choose, just as I like the option to play without people seeing me on the who list. Even when I was super new to the game, I understood anon and it never bothered me.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Sat May 31, 2008 11:45 pm

gorm, when you were new there were 150-200 people on at all times, it's different now.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:14 am

If people want the who list to look bigger then maybe more 2.0 wtf are you posts are in order.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:15 am

Bah, only 150-200? I remember the days of regular 300s-400s.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”