Platinum Coins in Vaults, Please.

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
hagah
Sojourner

Platinum Coins in Vaults, Please.

Postby hagah » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:39 am

I suggest there be a ammount of platinum/gold/silver which loads in zones with "Vaults" to split amongst the group after a win.

Seems like it makes sense. Vaults, money...

Would be nice if 15 people do a Vault, at least you get some coins if you don't win item bid.

Standard zone vaults could run 10k-20k+ plat.. Something like Tiamat, maybe 30-70k plat or even more shoot, 2.5k each for a 70k plat vault run, isnt that much really considering the effort.

Thanks for your consideration,
Hagah
Thilindel
Sojourner

Re: Platinum Coins in Vaults, Please.

Postby Thilindel » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:37 am

I'd like that too. I wondered why some things, like wolfbane potions are as costly as they are, then you kill a dragon and realize that the dragon's entire hoard (usually one item and a scale) isn't worth a mere potion :P

What would be even nicer is to add paper bills of some fashion, bank notes or demand notes. Would reduce weight. My illithid can't carry anything despite 80 str. But that's another topic probably.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 am

There used to be significant amounts of coins loading in chests (never exceeding 500p to my knowledge) in the past, but for some reason that was "fixed" and those chests (all of which were easily twinkable cuz they were way too easy to get that many coins, or were easily twinkable because they weren't smart enought to make the chest !pick) no longer load any coins at all.

What you say makes sense to a certian point. Making out with 2.5k plat a person in a 15 man group every time you do a certain zone does not make sense to me unless that would be the only reward of the zone for a farily challenging and time consuming zone.

To summarize, a coin economy is a delicate thing that could easily be disrupted by such things (that all were removed), but the rewards could always justify the means if the proper balance was found. Maybe this balance could be found in existing or future zones, but it has not been to this point for some reason.
hagah
Sojourner

Postby hagah » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:00 pm

Well the 2.5k per person in my example was for Tiamats treasure trove, a meager reward considering the current economy.

Also I'm only talking about "Vaults" which to my knowledge can't be broken into solo.

For smaller vaults, IC, hometown vaults, etc.. I would say 500-1000p ea would be a nice reward for 2-3 hours worth of coordinated effort.
Hagah
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:53 pm

I like this idea for certain zones yielding few/weak rewards..

Particularly epic quests that require forming a large group to complete the quest, but then have weak/insufficient rewards to dice (CM, Erlans..)
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:56 pm

Initially I'm against this idea. Explain what you need the money for, and how this isn't going to exacerbate the inflation situation?

Dug
hagah
Sojourner

Postby hagah » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:33 pm

Plat for : potions, scrolls, quests which require it, auctions..

Is inflation here really a problem? Those with 100k+ plat bank accounts don't have any big advantage over those who average 5k a month or so, you can only spend so many plats in useful ways. Who needs 5,000 vit potions in their bag?

What it does do is give the opportunity to those who no longer farm platinum while exp'ing to win their monthly supply of vit potions, glamor scrolls, maybe a tinker bag. Instead of having to sell of thier extra misc zone rewards on auction.
Hagah
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:09 pm

Is inflation a problem?

Yes.

I think some coinage from zonage should be removed from mob, and placed in end of zone. I never loot in zones, but I think there are significant coinage there already that is split unfairly, especially to the players whos skills does not lag (rangers, bards and other ungodly beeings).

However, I think this should just be an idea to future zone designers. I don't like the idea about changing existing zones for it.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:41 pm

hagah wrote:I suggest there be a ammount of platinum/gold/silver which loads in zones with "Vaults" to split amongst the group after a win.

Seems like it makes sense. Vaults, money...

Would be nice if 15 people do a Vault, at least you get some coins if you don't win item bid.

Standard zone vaults could run 10k-20k+ plat.. Something like Tiamat, maybe 30-70k plat or even more shoot, 2.5k each for a 70k plat vault run, isnt that much really considering the effort.

Thanks for your consideration,

I suggested this long ago as well. Gems and Jewelry should be added as well that can be sold in shops. Essentially zoning is treasure hunting, so where's the treasure? If I need plats it's easy enough to get, troll bark and some other places, junk you can sell in shops etc. Dragons, especially horde treasure. Coins have little to no value as it is so what's the real harm? So rather than talking inflation why not come up with creative ideas for people to spend plats on?

Dugmaren wrote:Initially I'm against this idea. Explain what you need the money for, and how this isn't going to exacerbate the inflation situation?

Dug

how can the inflation be made worse? So rather than to add some creative treasures and new things to spend plats on, you'd rather have us mindless farm plats aka another time sink? I have creative and what I think are unique ideas if you are interested, the treasure doesn't have to be just plats. Maybe some really rare gem "dragon's eye diamond" with really cool ansi and description, can be held or worn as badge, cast group armor 1x week. This would be basically a trophy treasure for bragging and taunting rights, I know I collect stuff that is cool regardless of stats. Change the fast heal rooms into Hospitals and add a few more, for the cost of x#plats mob casts cure crit but only casts it x# of minutes. If I can get healed for plats rather than laying around waiting to heal I would much rather spend the plats. Point is don't make excuses, make it work.
Last edited by Latreg on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Valendhal
Sojourner

Postby Valendhal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:34 pm

My logic is that it will add another "small group" type of activity and add incentive to raid hometowns or areas that are otherwise abandoned.

For example: (and sorry to use an evil hometown as an example) but Ghore Palace: You do a quick quest to get into the palace followed by a fearsome fight (tough for a pair of well equipped troll warriors and shaman for sure) .. then inside you face a variety of rooms and fights .. the last of which leads to a vault .. which is .. empty :(.. it is a vault ya know! vaults typically have money and loot in them .. perhaps random load of 1-1000 plat for this particular instance, and potential to randomly load some potions or something.

I think there will be a risk/reward factor if you randomly load from 1-X depending on the difficulty and further, would create fresh, new activities for smaller groups to do.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:18 pm

Latreg wrote:
Dugmaren wrote:Initially I'm against this idea. Explain what you need the money for, and how this isn't going to exacerbate the inflation situation?

Dug

how can the inflation be made worse? So rather than to add some creative treasures and new things to spend plats on, you'd rather have us mindless farm plats aka another time sink? I have creative and what I think are unique ideas if you are interested, the treasure doesn't have to be just plats. Maybe some really rare gem "dragon's eye diamond" with really cool ansi and description, can be held or worn as badge, cast group armor 1x week. This would be basically a trophy treasure for bragging and taunting rights, I know I collect stuff that is cool regardless of stats. Change the fast heal rooms into Hospitals and add a few more, for the cost of x#plats mob casts cure crit but only casts it x# of minutes. If I can get healed for plats rather than laying around waiting to heal I would much rather spend the plats. Point is don't make excuses, make it work.

Seriously Latreg? Dugmaren said to paraphrase, "I don't see a need for this right now can you please explain the idea a little more" and you come back with an explanation AND "Point is don't make excuses, make it work." would it of been so hard to do everything you wrote except for that last line? And people wonder why gods don't stick around and put up with this bs.

On a side note i do like the idea of having t-shirt items and plats. I know Jani got a cool dragon egg restring from RP and maybe that would be the coolest thing have a chance to load restring tokens so if you don't win loot you can get a cool restring or something.

on a side note
Dugmaren not sure what your view on restrings is and the cons of having them, but players have been asking for them forever is this something you're for/against/might look into? I know i'd like to restring some of my stuff and make it cool looking.

Pril
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Latreg wrote:Point is don't make excuses, make it work.

Welcome back, Dug. Did you miss us?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Ragorn wrote:Welcome back, Dug. Did you miss us?

Apparently ;)

So I've solved the problem and have something for everyone to spend their money on. Something big. Details will follow in the next couple of days but no spoilers, you all love the anticipation far too much.

However I'm here as a facilitator, not to do all the grunt labour. If you want vaults, with guards, and treasure. If you want shops that sell fun gadgets and pantaloons that may or may not make you look fat, do it yourself. Write me up the room description for a store and tell me where to put it. Write me up a salesman and some objects he's going to sell. Same goes for vaults and treasures and gems and whatever else suits your fancy.

Here's how.
http://www.torilmud.org/areas/

Here's my email.
dugmaren.toril@gmail.com

Dug
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Dug didn't mean to jump all over you like that. But the way I read your response to the request was in no uncertain terms, NO, unless you can convince me. It was just the general frustration of the past, not intended to be directed at you.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'

Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:45 am

I still think we need a ginormous plat sink like guildhalls or pirate ships or whatever to justify any sort of coinage influx into the economy. I'm sure 2.0 will address some of this with customizaitons but in the meantime something needs to be developed or planned out.

If you want to help the coin economy right now, withdraw all of your savings and pond it. :P

Taking it out of the game is still pretty difficult to do. The dimensional vault quest was doing a pretty good job for a while until better containers came along (go figure right?). Things like this help out too. Maybe Dug should put in a quest to upgrade the pirate eyepatch into an infrared monocle with a fricking laser beam. :P
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:43 am

How about an improved Sedawi zone! Where the leader prayed to some aliens, who enhanced the Sedawi's into Tiamat territory for power! Rah! Then, after Cofen, yet again, dies in that zone, he'll actually have an excuse!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Yasden wrote:Maybe Dug should put in a quest to upgrade the pirate eyepatch into an infrared monocle with a fricking laser beam. :P

Oh, mah, gawd.... everything else is on hold for a bit.

Dug
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:35 pm

Dugmaren wrote:So I've solved the problem and have something for everyone to spend their money on. Something big. Details will follow in the next couple of days but no spoilers, you all love the anticipation far too much.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20604

Dug
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:34 pm

Dugmaren wrote:
Dugmaren wrote:So I've solved the problem and have something for everyone to spend their money on. Something big. Details will follow in the next couple of days but no spoilers, you all love the anticipation far too much.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20604

Dug

Which means that we actually NEED to introduce alternate ways of farming plat with Coins in Vaults!

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”