web telnet client w flash/java for toril

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Valendhal
Sojourner

web telnet client w flash/java for toril

Postby Valendhal » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 pm

I cam across a thread on www.mudconnect.com where this guy created a flash/java telnet window for his mud which was postable on myspace and facebook. He is getting a ton of new users, though some probably have no idea what they are doing :)

What a great idea! I would be willing to headline some type of marketing effort if we could get an application coded. I can come up with the sales pitch and such.

[Quote from a thread on Mudconnect.com]
Since my last post here, I went ahead and built a relatively fast, scaleable web
telnet client using flash and javascript (Source code available on private
request if anyone's interested). I wrapped that in a facebook app and spent
about $10 on advertising, and now the facebook app is getting around 50
new account creations a day, pretty much all of them complete newbies to
the mud concept.

Cmon guys lets jump on this!
flib
Sojourner

Re: web telnet client w flash/java for toril

Postby flib » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:14 pm

wow, that's actually a damn good idea... I say we mainline this, before 2.0 before band-aid's, 50 hits a day.. at least 10-20 will check it out for a bit of time and I bet at the least 4-5 would stay.. man.. that could be rad........
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:48 am

flib wrote:wow, that's actually a damn good idea... I say we mainline this, before 2.0 before band-aid's, 50 hits a day.. at least 10-20 will check it out for a bit of time and I bet at the least 4-5 would stay.. man.. that could be rad........

i think that sounds a bit overly-optemistic. great idea tho, but who has time to do it...
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:40 am

Hmm, that does sound like a good idea.
BEER
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:35 pm

I've actually been working on a java based mud client for toril. I'm not very far along and would like to talk to others who have an interest.

One of the big features I would like to incorporate is to reduce the typing. Click a mob, click the kill button and you start attacking. When you get too advanced, you move onto a more advanced client like zmud.

Haven't gotten much farther than developing the concept and feature list and researching which platform/libraries to use and which IDE.
hagah
Sojourner

Postby hagah » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Don't re-invent the wheel. Just find that guy, ask him for his code, say thank you and see how it goes.

Make a note wherever they're playing from that the best experience can be had from downloading a mud client and hacking that together. The people who are going to stay will most likely have some computing experience I'd say. Most of the kids these days will be playing WoW or whatever.

Give me the link I'll get the code from him and set it up somewhere.
Hagah
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:27 pm

hagah wrote:Don't re-invent the wheel. Just find that guy, ask him for his code, say thank you and see how it goes.

Make a note wherever they're playing from that the best experience can be had from downloading a mud client and hacking that together. The people who are going to stay will most likely have some computing experience I'd say. Most of the kids these days will be playing WoW or whatever.

Give me the link I'll get the code from him and set it up somewhere.

Dont' people make alot of money designing different types of wheels?!
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”