two-handed weapons

A forum for discussion of the object changes...one thread per item please. Read the first post!
thanuk
Sojourner

two-handed weapons

Postby thanuk » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:38 pm

Uhm, I think you forgot to carry the one.

Gythka, twilight, skullsmasher, and unholy avenger all got downgraded.

Holy avenger got upgraded.

I thought the changes were going to *help* melee damage:)
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:52 pm

heartily agree. dont get why the big guns got screwed.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:52 pm

true DAT
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:27 am

WHY was gythka made 5d4 4/4 as a two handed weapon? I'm sorry to say this, but that was THE MOST STUPID THING made of all these changes.

WTF... whoever did that was on crack.

two handed weapons did not need to be downgraded.. ffs
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:57 am

Maybe its because gythka's are so easy to get, they're elementalist soloable. You don't want to know how many I've solo'd...
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:01 am

Lilithelle wrote:Maybe its because gythka's are so easy to get, they're elementalist soloable. You don't want to know how many I've solo'd...

can i have one?? *beg* :P
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:09 am

I'd say that's just more proof that Elementalists need a serious nerfjob than anything else. :)

Though I find it funny that gythka was d/graded, while much of demi got.. upgraded..
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:28 am

Demi getting upgraded is kinda funny since Lil solo's this as well. When the whole zone is soloable maybe something should be done to fix that.
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:09 am

Chopping the damage off twighlight is silly. Besides the popular opinion that melee should gain hit/dam from weapons not necklaces and baubles, reducing the damage so significantly also renders the proc of the weapon feeble.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:59 am

The point is, while gythka may be soloable with some work (i've only ever solo'd the beholder) the fact that melee damage sucks just goes beyond, and this is just a nail in the coffin. The stand by me weapon of all warriors was basically made akin to a 1 handed weapon.. wow.. i guess i should pond it now.

P.s. because stuff is easier to get now, does not mean you downgrade them. In the beginning of the wipe they were NOT easy to get. Heaven forbide that there will ever be a pwipe again.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:17 am

Gromikazer wrote:The point is, while gythka may be soloable with some work (i've only ever solo'd the beholder) the fact that melee damage sucks just goes beyond, and this is just a nail in the coffin. The stand by me weapon of all warriors was basically made akin to a 1 handed weapon.. wow.. i guess i should pond it now.

P.s. because stuff is easier to get now, does not mean you downgrade them. In the beginning of the wipe they were NOT easy to get. Heaven forbide that there will ever be a pwipe again.

What was the damage on it before..doesn't it have like 3 different procs? one of them being major para?
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:03 pm

It not just by elementalists, there are a few other pairs of classes that could pull it off. I rather like that thare are zones that can be done with small groups and solo elementalists with the proper strategies. Its not without its risks too, i still die sometimes doing it. I never asked for its eq to be upgraded, i would have kept them as they were if it meant i could continue to play there. But if the gods do want to make the fights they regard as too easy I could make suggestions how. Alot of its soloability comes from the lack of healing mobs, and some cheesable by virtue of them tracking. Well with the new stats I hope others will find enjoyment in this old zone which from what i can tell wasn't visited much except for ress quest, mind blank quest, and gythka quest.
Lik
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:14 pm

... and sarell trying to get a blue ring! :9... *grins*
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:56 pm

Gythka was a great weapon, now its got the dice of a 1hand dagger. Quest used to be hard, then it got leaked. Bring back the old stats and move it. Not enough variety in 2hand swords to downgrade gythka and twilight. Love to hear stats on flamberge and frostbite atm though.

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:23 pm

Take all these items like gythka that have great old-fashioned appeal but are really too easy for their value and give them another hardass quest like the khanjari to upgrade them.

Wait, was that the sound of gnashing teeth and hair-pulling I heard?
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:29 pm

So let me get this straight...

If there's an item that has been slashed stat-wise because it's too easy to get, you'd support addition of a quest to get those stats back?

I can certainly do that for selected items...might take a while, but certainly do-able.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Well I would, but there's a lot of people who would rant and scream about it.
irta
Sojourner

Postby irta » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:36 pm

Cyric wrote:So let me get this straight...

If there's an item that has been slashed stat-wise because it's too easy to get, you'd support addition of a quest to get those stats back?

I can certainly do that for selected items...might take a while, but certainly do-able.

Make a dress upgrade quest ASAP!

the Irta

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:01 pm

yeah i gotta agree on this one. my baubles are worthless, thats fine i guess, but my ac is RUINED, and my weapons are pathetic. Its not like I could ever even hope to compare myself to a voker or even a rogue, but now...heh....ill just meat tank it...with less meat thats easier to cut off. Go melee! Go melee! Go melee! (rooting for the mobs, who are the safest bet, least they can still hit hard)

Twilight should have been upgraded. It never was *that* spanky tobegin with, besides looking damn kewl and occasionally delivering a crit on the scale of mob damage. I did better soloing with my MD blade, which also spanks now.
Mitharx
Sojourner

Postby Mitharx » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:10 pm

It was established a while ago that warriors do way too much damage as is. This was a move to correct that.

Or was it that exact opposite? Hmm.

In any case, I really think it doesn't matter how easy a warrior weapon is to get. You could give us a Dragon Nuker Thermonuclear Missile Launcher 3000 and we'd be lucky to get most mobs at our level to few wounds.

Warrior damage really wasn't throwing the game out of balance. Was it?
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:13 pm

Cyric wrote:So let me get this straight...

Well not every single item ever, but for 2handed swords where there isnt that much variety to begin with, they all got axed so its like there's no point towielding a 2hander anymore. Gythkas a great weapon. But there's really only a few 2handers that were even worth wielding before hand: gythka, twilight, and skullsmoosher if your not a dorf, rockcrusher if you are. Since its such a small pool, and they all got downgraded, yeah i think there should be a hardass quest to get them back to what they were or better. But there's 90000 rings, so writing a quest for every single ring would be a big waste of time, you know what i mean?

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:32 pm

the downgrade to 2h weapons are interesting.

They can pretty much only be used by 3 warrior types (why a ranger or a dire raider would is beyond me).

There is a very substantial penalty for tanking 2h unless your a mounty (which is what defines their niche imo).

However, it looks to me like 1h weapons were downgraded to the point of 1h weapons at the beginning of soj2 however 2h weapons were downgraded from that standard even more. I'm not necessarily in favor of meleeing contributing more realtive damage, but i don't think they needed a damage downgrade. However, some of the weapon procs needed serious looking at.

A lot of people play melee because they get a hard on for procs and having 1 more hit/dam. It would've been far kinder to upgrade their weapons and just turn the melee damage knob down a click.

Return to “Object Changes”