Eq or Skills

A forum for discussion of the object changes...one thread per item please. Read the first post!

Eq or skills Is balance

Poll ended at Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:40 pm

Eq is balance
10%
Skills and spells is balance
59%
Just Skills
10%
Just Spells
3%
I dont Care i just want things to be back to the way they where
17%

Total votes: 29
Zoldren
Sojourner

Eq or Skills

Postby Zoldren » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:40 pm

Cast your vote.
Does eq make you solo mobs/zones
or does skill/spells let you solo/mobs zones

does eq make you useful in zones or spells and skills? cast your vote. and be honest.
MoM-D
Originally posted by Baikalisan:
There once was a girl named Pinky
Who liked to flash and get kinky
We gave her some cash
She went down in a flash
And made us all squirm like a slinky!
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:50 pm

is it white? is it black? how bout both? where skills and spells DO make up MOST of the power behind balance, i can think of a good number of situations where having awesome gear has helped people powelevel the lower levels in notime. so there is no definate answer there within any of the poll options.
Overall, yes, skills and spells represent the backbone of balance. However, if equipment isn't also balanced there will be issues like what we are seeing now.
Giving ac-100 to a low level hitter character, and a nice beefy 2h weapon with some +hp and hit/dam sprinkled in and they can solo their way well into the upper 20's and if they know some tactics and where to find the right mobs, easily into the 30's. I soloed my hitter type into the 40's.
Lilithelle
Sojourner

Postby Lilithelle » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:28 pm

Its more skill and knowledge than spells, but a few spells like pwt for druids, and pwb for mages add alot of potential. Good players can do alot with most classes that have a diverse set of talents.
Lil
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:41 pm

Player quality. For the best mudders, it doesn't really matter what equip, coded skills, spells they have. They will learn to survive/triumph. (It could matter, I suppose, if the code was really crazy, but Soj/Toril/Soj/Soj/Toril has never been close to that point.)

The rest of us muddle along with various combinations, each of us finding our own mixture of equip, skills, spells that mostly work for us.
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:18 pm

Wait a sec, I take that back. I voted for the wrong thing. Eq is balance for my paly it seems, and he's level 46.

I have to wear massive HP eq to zone to stay alive half the time. That kills my hit/dam, so basically I become a meat shield, just like warriors. Sure, I got the lifesaving layhands, but that's useful only a couple times in longer zones. And now my ac sicks majorly and I have to wear a shield to keep from getting smacked around, unless i have illusionist or stoner hanging around.

I might just be griping for no reason, but I think for most classes, minus some casting/rogue classes, this mud is solely eq based/spell based. Basic skills are all run by triggers now adays anyways.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:18 pm

Determination and perseverence. The more often I die to something, the more determined I am to kick its butt. That stupid group of aggro-good nasties with Hepeki in it kicked my butt in UM2, and I went back and figured out how to kill every last mother's son of them without dying. Sure, a caster probably could have taken them out without blinking, but that's not the point. I can only quaff so many potions at a time, and I hate wasting them because I spend a fortune in plats and time on getting them.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:14 pm

Cordan wrote:Wait a sec, I take that back. I voted for the wrong thing. Eq is balance for my paly it seems, and he's level 46.

I have to wear massive HP eq to zone to stay alive half the time. That kills my hit/dam, so basically I become a meat shield, just like warriors. Sure, I got the lifesaving layhands, but that's useful only a couple times in longer zones. And now my ac sicks majorly and I have to wear a shield to keep from getting smacked around, unless i have illusionist or stoner hanging around.

I might just be griping for no reason, but I think for most classes, minus some casting/rogue classes, this mud is solely eq based/spell based. Basic skills are all run by triggers now adays anyways.

that is not eq, that is skills/spells/stats ie palys/antis need better, cause they have mage/rogue hp's and skills that arnt balance, thats why you have to wear the hp etc to stay alive. instead of relying on your skills.

if your skills worked they way they "should" would you have to wear so many hp just to stay alive, not to mention your shield instead of 2h, *anti/pal you do the math* thats right, no you wouldnt.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:40 pm

Melee characters need equipment to be effective. You can explain and rationalize all you want, but it still comes down to the same thing. A naked hitter is useless.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:05 pm

Thanuk's right,

I just logged on as my paladin and tried to take on a fighter mob of my level... I used to be able to take them on in 1-2 runs. Hitting? No problem, I'm a paladin, damage... Omg it took SO damn long to hurt him that it took me 4 runs to get him to pretty hurt.

Fighter classes just took an absolute nose-dive towards uselessness when they are on their own. In a group they were already insignificant as far as damage is concerned. A fighter in a group entirely depends on protections/heals so that he could survive long enough to ensure the groups survival.

So... zoning's not really gonna change. Soloing's not an option. Guess warrior types are gonna wind up civil servants... W/o a union might I add. I'd always thought, anyone who plays a warrior to level 50, has got balls of steel... now it's gonna be a prerequisite. :)
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:43 pm

thanuk wrote:Melee characters need equipment to be effective. You can explain and rationalize all you want, but it still comes down to the same thing. A naked hitter is useless.

Your mom doesn't think so. Wait, that's a Nukkie answer, not an answer to Nukkie, oops. :)

I wanted to add that it depends on what you think you should be able to solo. Me, solo a mob my level? Don't make me laugh. Get crushed by almost any mob 20 levels below me, unless they are unclassed and stupid, or I twink the hell out of 'em? There ya go.

Naked/no equip? Sure, can't solo much (relative to what you're used to soloing with a full set of equip). But the proper comparison to "no equipment" would be "no skills", or all skills "awful", right? Can't do anything then, either.

If the comparison is "good" vs, "great" equip, compared to "good" vs. "master" skills... Well, besides player quality, determination, and jist darn cussedness... Soloing success depends more on how fast my link is, and how awake I am, than whether I have "OK" gear or "good" gear, or whether my skills are "good", "very good", or "master".

Return to “Object Changes”