Complain about staves and wands

A forum for discussion of the object changes...one thread per item please. Read the first post!
weppewil
Sojourner

Complain about staves and wands

Postby weppewil » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:25 am

I just want to point out that making wands and staves class specific make no sense to me... I mean if you have a spell that does what the wand does, just better, there is no point to have a wand that is usable only by your class... especially if the wand is on a high level mob that a group of low level character (for which the item may be somewhat useful) will never be able to kill.

an example is the crafted wooden stick, now is cleric only.. but i am sure there are tons of those cases. While in 99% of the cases this doesnt matter for the top players, this hurts quite a bit for the average mid level players.
It seems to me that the game is being balanced on the base of the top 5% of the players.

now to be constructive..
an idea would be to make wands usable by everybody... as it should be. or at least by mages and clerics. A better idea to me is to make the restriction int or wis specific (for example a lvl 50 wand can be used only if int is 100.. a lvl 30 only if int is 60 or so..)

Hopefully to have potions and scrolls class specific is not next.

thanks

Weppewil, average player.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:03 pm

good idea on the restriction based on int and wisdom

I think that there would be a percent of failing to activate a wand (and using the charge) depending on the level of the spell, the magical type (priest or magic), class, and race.

I just cant figure out if gnomes should get a positive modifier or a negative one or have a % chance to blow themselves up.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:08 pm

As much as I like using some wands and staves, I just don't see the logic behind making them available to all classes, sorry. Even with a long-term association with mages, I doubt I could just "pick up" enough magical knowledge to figure out how to make one work, and nobody can convince me that some of the barbs I've met could do it. Dwarves are supposed to be psychologically resistant to using such magical devices, too. I'd almost rather it went the other way, so that non-casters couldn't use them.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:42 am

thieves, bards, bchanters should retain significant ability to use magical devices.

Rangers, dire raiders, and Antis minor ability

Barbs, dwarves, paladins, and warriors extremely limited ability.

thats my opinion.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
weppewil
Sojourner

Postby weppewil » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:38 pm

I agree with kiryan.

the point is that some wands are now NO MAGE!!!!!!!
can you believe this?

as I suggested maybe a way out would be to base the ability to use wands on intelligence...

anyway for now, be sure that all wands have the NOMAGE flag removed.

Return to “Object Changes”