Downgrade Muspelheim Invasion?

A forum for discussion of the object changes...one thread per item please. Read the first post!

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 33
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:03 am

In the same vein as the SPOB post, just curious what other peoples thoughts are on Musp Invasion.

As it stands, nearly everything from there is a top item, several of them being significantly superior to anything else around. Marble bracer, silvery bracer, book, signet ring, ring of ice, dull sleeves, frost giant crown, robe with runes, proc shield, even the basinet and mesh sleeves etc are near the top. Along with regular Musp items that also got upgraded to be high-end items, just on normal load.

Then compare this to a top zone like Seelie which only drops 5/6 items and is unarguably harder/more dangerous. The only thing Musp Invasion has going for it is that it's rare.. except of course it's not that rare. Remember that time it loaded 5 boots in a row?

I do believe Musp Invasion should have a couple top items, but right now it's just dropping too much equipment at the extreme high-end.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:04 am

8)

How about upgrade other top tier stuff to be on par?
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:07 am

All for that too of course Yaya. More than happy to have other zone eq upgraded. Problem I see with that is convincing the staff to upgrade pretty much anything. Just look at what happened to BC heh.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:09 am

Dizzin wrote:All for that too of course Yaya. More than happy to have other zone eq upgraded. Problem I see with that is convincing the staff to upgrade pretty much anything. Just look at what happened to BC heh.

I wouldn't say DG everything from the invasion, but the high end gear needs spread around desperately...putting in new zones with better stuff will not solve anything except further alienate the old cool zones.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:43 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Dizzin (none of that lame and chlidish oh i'm going to shoot myself b/c i agree with him BS).

Musp invasion is a joke compared to high level zones like TTF and seelie. Upgrading the zone to match the rewards isn't the answer. Removing pieces from game or moving them to quest or moving them to different zones is better.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 pm

I think enough downgrading has already been done, rather see things upgraded in other zones then to see more downgrading. Like to move in a positive way, instead of moving farther negitive =)
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:58 pm

Well, let's see which zones are pointless to do straight up for equipment now.

Hulburg
BC
Air plane
TF
Doodajipple's workshop would be an awesome zone if upgraded *hint hint*
UF
Spiderhaunt
MD
Astral
Jotunheim
Troll King
CC
Crypts

most of these zones are just zones to get quest items from and quest items generally suck. Please consider making changes to these zones (even upgrade the difficulty if you have to) to making these zones worth doing for equipment. This includes moving some items out, upping the difficulty and redistributing points to the current items.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:52 pm

Don't forget Roots...fun and unique zone, down the tube..woot.

Total number of rooms in world: 57766

Why don't we just delete the 50000 rooms that will never be visited, and speed up the mud more..
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:49 pm

I disagree with downgrading as a whole. Part of the reason the invasion is so damn simple is the fact that rogues can just wander the invasion, find mobs with eq, find "safe" areas near them, and then have illusionist fold to them.

This makes it so you don't even have to kill most of the mobs! The chance of having a ton of wandering giants come in and mercilessly slaughter your casters is significantly reduced, and there goes the challenge.

I don't think the answer lies in downgrading the eq. I think the solution lies in making the fights more challenging. And a lot of the items are NOT the top tier, but ARE relatively close. For instance, the silvery muspel bracer for warriors is darn nice, but netheril bracelets are just as nice if not nicer. Depending on what you want/need the spob bracer is also pretty darn nice.

I agree 100% the signet ring is a problem. I don't think any item, invasion or otherwise should have the stats the ring does. i thought we got rid of the high hp eq that didn't have drawbacks? This ring is actually MORE of an issue than amethyst rings were being nobits and 60hp.

Last i checked basinet wasn't nearly as cool as it used to be compared to what else is out there, and sleeves aren't UBER compared to a lot of what is out there, but the invasion crown is an interesting tradeoff on -5svbr for an extra 1dam compared to a different invasion crown.

The proc shield isn't an issue imho as whenever i go it almost ALWAYS makes it to the second round. On the issue of the ring of ice, i know a couple rogues that are trying to go from ice rings to ring of darkness. Not the move i'd make, but apparently the rogues know something i don't. In light of that, making the adamantite band +3 hit +25 hp again might not be a bad idea, as it's arguably just as difficult/and perhaps even more rare now that muspel invasion seems to load a few hours into just about every boot.

Overall, a few tweaks to items, and DEFINATELY an increase in the rarity of the invasion would make a huge move in the right direction. I'd suggest something to keep rogues from doing what they do in combination with the illusionists, but theres not much i can figure will fix that on a large grid such as that one.

As far as for normal load, i can't speak much, as all people are ever interested in doing there are the rareloads. I heard there is one stalwart group that tends to do muspel a lot regardless, but most people don't see it worth the effort when spob is out there.

And again agreeing with dartan *panic* most of those zones are only for harvesting quest gear and the occasional mid-high item.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:48 pm

We did Muspel invasion last night. One of our three rogues died 5 times. Twice sneaking around the grid. Level 50 max skills.

If you take away rogue hide and sneak you will need to make a bigger room 1w. Rogues already got smoked in the hit and hp area with the eq change.

Took three+ hours. Many deaths. The little zonelet with the dragons is sweet by the way. Loved the !magic dragon fight.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:58 pm

well let's see. you brought THREE rogues? and who was the rogue who died?

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:34 pm

Your rogue died sneaking around the grid with maxed skills??? Errrr.... I know there's something I missed about that statement.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:35 pm

old depok wrote:
Took three+ hours. Many deaths. The little zonelet with the dragons is sweet by the way. Loved the !magic dragon fight.

Well how much of that time was in the dragon zone, and how many of the deaths? If not alot, then you did something wrong.

BTW upgrade mask of the night!
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:44 pm

Ok im here to clear the confusion, 3 rogues = Pava, Lonel, Kiros
5 Rogue deaths = Kiros all of them...

I hope this cleared up the confusion..

On a side note, I would say yeah upgrade the dragon rewards. It takes a rare just to get in there and you fight that dragon in a silence room. Melee being what it is (cough*a joke*cough) that wasnt easy.

And i did like the changes to it, made the fight more intresting.
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'

Return to “Object Changes”