Toril 2.0 - Faerunian Timeline

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Yasden
Sojourner

Toril 2.0 - Faerunian Timeline

Postby Yasden » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Will there be a time advancement with 2.0? We've been perpetually stuck in "right after the Time of Troubles" (1369-1370) for over a decade. I'd really like to see the timeline become more interactive, especially with updating older FR zones.

Discuss!
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:05 pm

How many zone writers can you get to write a zone six to twelve different ways?

It's a lot of extra work.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
malakwee
Sojourner

Postby malakwee » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:44 am

Make a random event generator that affects a region or a the world entire.

Make the event has meaning to gameplay. i.e. event that allows darkies to walk and see on the surface world... event that reduces strength of undeads... event that strengthen undeads... event that strengthen magic in general... weaken magic in general... gives random result to magic in general... that sorta thing.

Would add something fun i think to the whole game in general.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:29 am

malakwee wrote:...weaken magic in general... gives random result to magic in general...

Considering that the current timeline is set right after the Time of Troubles, I am surprised that there aren't dead magic and wild magic areas scattered about the game already.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:09 am

Cirath wrote:
malakwee wrote:...weaken magic in general... gives random result to magic in general...

Considering that the current timeline is set right after the Time of Troubles, I am surprised that there aren't dead magic and wild magic areas scattered about the game already.

Those are one of the most asked about things in the idea's thread I think...
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:37 am

I seriously don't hope the most idea threads are about more nomagic rooms.

I would much rather see more zones than anything that affects timeline. Builders can't be everywhere, and IMHO then new content, or Homeland content, would be much more interesting to me than adding nomagic rooms to existing zones. If wildmagic comes with Toril 2.0 then by all means add a roomflag that builders can use, but leave existing zones alone for the time beeing.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:03 pm

Disoputlip wrote:I seriously don't hope the most idea threads are about more nomagic rooms.

I would much rather see more zones than anything that affects timeline. Builders can't be everywhere, and IMHO then new content, or Homeland content, would be much more interesting to me than adding nomagic rooms to existing zones. If wildmagic comes with Toril 2.0 then by all means add a roomflag that builders can use, but leave existing zones alone for the time beeing.

Heck I'd just be happy with zones coming in that fall in LINE with post Time of Troubles..

I think the odd random event generator for magical strength etc would be an interesting idea.. and could shake up zoning too!! HOLY CRAP the cleric's fheals are at half strength but the bard's song is still working... EEK, inferno just turned into hailstorm....

*laugh* Oh the fun that could be enjoyed with that.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:06 pm

there are kind of dead magic areas.. 1n of lich in meilech for example..

it'd be pretty dangerous to have dead magic areas for real.. as well as twinky .. just mak e all undeads in zone track to room and if you can manage lich to track then there you go.. all are dead and you didnt even break a sweat.. lol
on the other hand... walking through a dead magic zone could crack magical artifacts... remove pets and completely dispel you and your party

dont get me wrong i support dead magic areas in a completely restricted and supervised way.. i just dont want to walk out of the vt inn and have the little good eq i have to crack open and smoke itself

now for wild magic.. im all for that.. but not at 100% cause then you¡d have no element of surprise i believe a working 20 something percent would rock for spankages.. joeschmoe group-says 'safemem west'
cleric walks west. shaman starts casting a spell shaman utters the words 'fugnuts auntycracklickin spud'

Billowing clouds of fire rain down on you and your party.
x has left the group
y has left the group
z has left the group

Shaman group-says 'fuckin gheal! i cast gheal dammit! wtf is up with the clouding!'

Mr. evilich starts casting a spell..
Mr evilich wails like my exgirlfriend and smites you with a powerful combo of tears and nagging.

**** Welcome to Toril ****
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:27 pm

grundar wrote:dont get me wrong i support dead magic areas in a completely restricted and supervised way.. i just dont want to walk out of the vt inn and have the little good eq i have to crack open and smoke itself

Mechanically speaking, ever since second edition dead magic areas have functioned in the same manner as an anti-magic field. They dont destroy magic, but rather suppress it so long as it is in the area. I don't see any reason you would have to worry about exploding eqipment (unless the particular zone maker was extremely sadistic), especially since the only ways available to destroy equipment are easily avoided right now.

Besides, all of these areas are pretty easily recognizable in the Forgotten Realms setting. They are almost always the sight of one of the more significant events of the Time of Troubles (the deaths of Mystra, Myrkul, and Bhaal, for example), and the land at these sights are usualy twisted and strange (like the fields of the dead, or the tar pits near Baldur's Gate in the MUD).

But of course, this is all rambling on theory and accuracy
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:42 am

Disoputlip wrote:I seriously don't hope the most idea threads are about more nomagic rooms.

Yes, I was talking about wild magic moreso than dead magic zones. Dead magic zones aren't !cast, they are zones where magic simply ceases to work, i.e. the beholder anti-magic field. It would add another dimension to zone writing for sure.

Whoops, didn't get to Cirath's post before I posted, sorry :)
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:58 pm

"Fun and interesting" amazingly is only so if the players are winning.

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”