Errants of Waterdeep [OOC Thread]

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:31 pm

Seret doesn't necessarily feel safe sticking with the party even if all his claims and concerns are legitimate.

Rest assured, though, that either way, he'll be around.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:45 pm

Tasan wrote:Yeah ok, dropping out of this nonsense.

Why? :(
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 pm

The guy is half dead(was almost dead earlier in the day) and yet he takes off running...

Not to mention the utter lack of participation lately. I just don't feel like being involved anymore.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:26 am

In Mori's defense as a DM myself: If I were held against my will with the possibility of death lingering, injured or not, I'd try my hardest to get away. Even if failure to escape meant certain doom.

In response to lack of participation, I've already stated what I was doing. Meditation and memorization of spells requires concentration and thus I can't be carrying on idle chatter with Seret. I'm not sure what the hold-up has been in keeping the storyline moving forward, but this is one of the drawbacks of play-by-post. People have lives, jobs, families, etc... that's why RL groups who have a tabletop night once a week make much more progress in 5-6 hours than we have in the past few weeks.

I've been checking this forum daily to see when the night was going to move forward. I've got both of my Psionics books now, so I've been working on developing that in between work and painting the house.
I'll try to be more active in the dialogue once a certain character dilemma works itself out...(evidently everyone has ignored the ball references so far).
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:49 am

Agreed in response to participation. We're bunkering down for the night, not much I had planned to do other than wait and listen because I didn't trust Seret. You and he were talking, not much I could do otherwise until he bolted, and I knew he would. So, if you want to bow out sure, but atleast pick a way to do it so we can continue on cause regardless I like it and this is something I look forward to.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:34 am

Yasden wrote:In Mori's defense as a DM myself: If I were held against my will with the possibility of death lingering, injured or not, I'd try my hardest to get away. Even if failure to escape meant certain doom.

Ok, I'm supposed to believe that the half-dead guy is able to somehow become a f'in cheetah and race off into some random wilderness, paying heed to the fact that he is unarmed and we had a wolf(that was out for our blood) that got away? I mean, how stupid would it be to run off w/o provisions/weapons/a light?

Maybe I give Seret too much credit. Just a little hard too swallow that he's just up and gone.

As for participation... meh fine. Everyone said 1 thing and that was going to be it for the night. Guess I expected more.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:53 am

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess. I think Mori was waiting on how your interaction with Seret was going to e(de?)volve before he moved the storyline forward.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if Seret got(gets) away, it's not our main objective. If he's that convinced we're who he thinks we are, he'll be back.

BTW, these kinds of arguments are very common when you're gaming with others. There's nothing wrong with arguing with the DM about your opinion on something. A DM isn't by any means the end-all of AD&D, they make mistakes and have lack of foresight just like the rest of us. Voicing your opinion isn't a sign of conflict, it's just a way of getting some clarity on the situation.

Just chalk it up on the "lesson learned" board and let's move forward.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:21 pm

Okay, some clarification is in order here. Seret didn't just vanish. You're totally capable of chasing him if you want (or shooting arrows at him, or whatever.) But his intent is clearly to run off into the wilds, and wilderness (in terms of trees, shrubs, etc.) isn't exactly far away.

You're right to be incredulous at his willingness to run off into the wilds when he KNOWS there are bloodthirsty predators about. I strongly suggest discussing that in-character if you're so inclined. Seret didn't just bolt; he thought this one through and then bolted anyway. Make of that what you will.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:53 pm

Whatever, it's all Koray's fault.

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:29 pm

I'd blame the French. Stupid poonswabbers.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:35 am

so, i got his trail whaat do I need to actually catch him?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:43 am

Well, due to the possibility of missile fire, I'm doing this round by round. After a few rounds of running, people will have to start making CON checks to keep running at full speed . . .
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am

My bet is on the monk being able to keep running and Seret huffin' and puffin'. :)

I'd come and chase him too, but Birile's asleep in his cozy tent...
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:50 pm

I'm going to assume no one else wants in on the chase if there are no more posts in RP today. We'd best get moving, after all.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:53 pm

I guess i'm the only one, that works then.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:36 pm

I was going to fire a magic missile at him to try and knock him down at least, but the distance combined with darkness has only increased the chance of me hitting Thalidyrr.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:58 am

Incidentally, if Thalidyrr had more monk levels, he'd be flat-out faster and it wouldn't really be an issue of endurance.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:58 pm

So how's one do a con check? Don't have my book handy.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:04 pm

You only need to make Con checks if you are "running." You can only run in a straight line, and only if you have clear terrain in front of you. You can run for a number of rounds equal to your Con score (not modifier... the actual score) before you start making checks.

If you're chasing someone through the wilderness, more likely you're going to be moving at double your normal movement speed (double-moving every round, basically). To keep on his trail, you can try to Spot or Listen for him, or you can use the Track feat and your Survival skill to actually get his trail.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:32 pm

Rags is right to point out that a wilderness chase is probably not going to be straight running the whole way. After all, there's no path.

To answer your question, though, when you make an attribute check, it's 1d20 + attribute modifier.

We're pretty much done with the chase now, I think. I originally had a slightly different storyline planned with a prominent player-run guest NPC, but that fell through.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:55 am

So our unhurt monk just got outran by a half-dead guy. I can't believe your constitution doesn't take a hit for being injured seriously within the past 24 hours or something. Just seems a tad bit ludicrous.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:19 pm

Tasan wrote:So our unhurt monk just got outran by a half-dead guy. I can't believe your constitution doesn't take a hit for being injured seriously within the past 24 hours or something. Just seems a tad bit ludicrous.

These con checks are not opposed checks. They were just made to keep running. If it were a straight-up race that amounted to an endurance competition, your analysis would be correct and we would expect Thalidyrr to win easily. However, the running only lasted a matter of seconds before the dense vegetation turned it into a matter of Spot checks instead of outright speed. Thalidyrr wasn't outrun; he just lost track of the enemy.

As an aside, here's what the SRD has to say about Run:

A character with a Constitution score of 9 or higher can run for a minute without a problem. Generally, a character can run for a minute or two before having to rest for a minute.

I can't find the rules text that states it, but IIRC running for more than a couple rounds involves a Con check to see if you can keep running. You may be thinking of opposed checks, which come into play under more extended situations:

Sometimes a chase occurs overland and could last all day, with the two sides only occasionally getting glimpses of each other at a distance. In the case of a long chase, an opposed Constitution check made by all parties determines which can keep pace the longest. If the creature being chased rolls the highest, it gets away. If not, the chaser runs down its prey, outlasting it with stamina.

The all-day race does not correspond to this situation.

Thalidyrr didn't come away completely empty-handed, though. He's probably noticed that Seret is surprisingly good in the wilderness, and that information will come in handy should the party come up against Seret in the future.

I guess I should work on my descriptions if that wasn't clear, though :(

PS - If you guys really want, you can track Seret through the wilds if someone has the Track feat. That would turn it into more of a contest with an endurance aspect.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:48 pm

moritheil wrote:These con checks are not opposed checks. They were just made to keep running.

Uhh, that's what I'm saying... if his con wasn't high enough to pass a check, Thal would have caught him... wtf does opposed have to do with anything.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Tasan wrote:So our unhurt monk just got outran by a half-dead guy. I can't believe your constitution doesn't take a hit for being injured seriously within the past 24 hours or something. Just seems a tad bit ludicrous.

It's not ludicrous, it's how every role playing game in the universe works. Hit points are an abstract number, and your combat performance doesn't decrease as you lose hit points. It's exactly how Toril works, you don't lose Con every time you take a hit in combat.

And if Seret ran off into the woods and tried to escape, it doesn't matter what his Con is. He disappeared into the overgrowth, and your party needs to use their observation skills (Spot and Listen) to find him. If you don't have anybody who can Listen well enough to hear a guy crashing through the jungle, then you can search blindly until you find him, or you can give up.

Or you can Track him to definitively find out where he went, but movement made while Tracking is done at half speed. You won't catch him, but you'll find out where he went.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Tasan wrote:
moritheil wrote:These con checks are not opposed checks. They were just made to keep running.

Uhh, that's what I'm saying... if his con wasn't high enough to pass a check, Thal would have caught him... wtf does opposed have to do with anything.

My point is that it doesn't matter if Thalidyrr's con is higher. (As Rags pointed out, his con may not be higher, but even if it were higher, that would make no difference.)

It's like saying, "Khaiden is smarter than Koray, so he should be able to lace his boots faster." Not really - they both have the requisite intelligence to understand how to lace up their boots; any intelligence beyond that has no bearing on the matter.

Seret has more than a minimal amount of con; thus, he can run. It isn't a question of running for any real length of time, so who has more con is a nonissue.

If you find it hard to believe that he's running about with no trouble, you may want to remember that he didn't just recover on his own - he was miraculously healed of the worst of his injuries by Koray.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:16 am

Obviously you misunderstand me, and obviously whatever my beliefs, it doesn't matter anyhow, so forget I said anything.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Someone get us started, i'll have to post from home! New day, move move.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Tasan wrote:Obviously you misunderstand me, and obviously whatever my beliefs, it doesn't matter anyhow, so forget I said anything.

Well, I can only really respond to the specific questions you raise. If you have more concerns, you have to voice them. :) If I had to guess, the bit about your beliefs implies you're not happy about something else, not merely the mechanics of running. However, I can't address your concerns based on guesswork - you have to tell me specifically what's wrong.

Let me go back and look at what you said to see if I missed anything.

Okay, Con 9 is not a very high Con. I think we can agree that it's minimal, given that Con 10 is average. Really, as Rags pointed out, I should not have called for Con checks at all because anyone with at least Con 9 can run for a few minutes without having to make any checks, and there was less than a minute of running involved.

Having said that, I don't understand what makes you think Seret would have failed a Con check to begin with. As he's basically an NPC mercenary, and thus in the business of fighting for a living, he was not assigned a low Con. For all you know, his Con might be higher than Thalidyrr's. If you don't question why Thalidyrr can successfully make a Con check, I don't see why you would question why Seret can successfully make that same check.

Now, maybe I'm totally misreading your posts and you're not questioning how the mechanics work; you're just disagreeing with the way the rules handle the situation. That's fine and I can respect that, but ultimately the entire purpose of this campaign is to stick as closely to the rules as possible for educational purposes. So it's not within the scope of the project to talk about what the rules should be - just what they are. Accordingly, when I answer questions in this thread, the mindset I have is, "You have a rules question; let me see what the rules say."

In hindsight, perhaps the best answer would have been to point you to the wounding quality of weapons. It's a +2 equivalent and causes your weapon to deal 1 point of Con damage. Wounding illustrates that Con damage is very serious and very rare, and if you want to deal it to your enemies, you have to shell out big bucks. As Rags mentioned, the system doesn't just hand out stat damage or penalties for merely being injured.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:29 pm

moritheil wrote:As Rags mentioned, the system doesn't just hand out stat damage or penalties for merely being injured.

Yes, that is clear. I'm wrong and uninformed. Carry on.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:07 pm

Okay, glad we cleared that up.

If you have any objections in the future, feel free to bring up the issues as they arise.

Once everyone posts in the RP thread, we can figure out what the party is doing, and I'll move things along.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:15 am

Has anyone seen Gormal around?

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:29 am

Who's actually still wanting to play? I really don't want this crap to fall apart already. I know Birile is, but anyone else?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:57 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Who's actually still wanting to play? I really don't want this crap to fall apart already. I know Birile is, but anyone else?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:14 pm

Well, Gormal told me via tell he'd post when he got around to it . . . I assume he's super busy with something in RL. I've got tons of stuff planned, so of course I don't want this to fall through, but ultimately it's up to you guys.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:45 pm

If nobody posts within a week or so, I'll assume that the project has run its course. Thanks for playing, and I hope you learned something about 3.5!

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:34 pm

Mori, you're holding things up!
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:07 pm

I just got back from being out of town a couple weeks and my monitor is shot(posting from work). The new one should be here today but i'll start posting again once I actually get my PC working again.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 pm

Why the hell hasn't Jake posted anything? I know he's been on here recently.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:36 pm

Sorry about my lengthy vacation; I had a lot going on in RL and I wasn't sure if we were continuing. As it turns out, Minthka is a decent place to drop off missing people if you guys want to continue.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:06 pm

Sure. Lets.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun May 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Well, Ryan's obviously busy with the new kid.

Doug? Jake? If it's just me an Birile not quite sure what a halfling bard and elven monk can actually do, or complete the story.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun May 06, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm not too busy to post here. Life does go on after childbirth. :P

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon May 07, 2007 12:37 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:not quite sure what a halfling bard... can actually do

I'm hurt! :P
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon May 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Hahaha. Bard jokes occur even after all the upgrades! :D

So, Birile, Khaiden, and Thalidyrr, eh?

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon May 07, 2007 11:21 pm

pretty damn pointless to post when people take 2-3 weeks to get anywhere in the story.

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue May 08, 2007 2:32 am

Tasan wrote:pretty damn pointless to post when people take 2-3 weeks to get anywhere in the story.

Such is the problem with doing this on an online forum, and people having vacation time to use. shrug, don't post if you don't want to. Just seeing who was still around.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri May 18, 2007 5:09 pm

Lately that is my fault, and I apologize for it. I've been indescribably swamped with work and haven't touched the boards for over a week. However, in general, if you're done with RP for a scene and want things to move on, you can always just post a note to that effect in the OOC thread. That's what it's here for :) No hard feelings if the pace doesn't do it for you.

Let me give a general idea of what the campaign was planned to be:
2-3 fights to get to Minthka
Meet special guest NPC in Minthka
Have really awesome dialogue
Undertake possible sidequest
Move on and find Esroh.

However, the guest NPC couldn't make it, as I alluded to earlier. I apologize for the resultant emptiness of Minthka. It's a bit like having one quest mob in a zone that makes the zone worth doing, and that mob not loading. :cry:

I've revised the campaign to be:
2 fights to get to Minthka
Meet regular NPCs in Minthka
Move on and find Esroh
Totally new encounters that I had to write up.

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon May 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Works for me!
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue May 22, 2007 12:00 am

We're moving, it's all good. Whichever way
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed May 23, 2007 5:36 pm

Upon reflection I doubt I'll be able to make it on daily, but 2/week seems quite doable.

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”