Barbarians in 2.0

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
moritheil
Sojourner

Barbarians in 2.0

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:43 pm

DnD 3.5 has barbarian as a class and no race called barbarians. With that in mind, I propose modeling Toril 2.0 Uthgardt off the Arctic human racial variant, since they live in the cold north.

In 3.5, the only difference is:

General Arctic Racial Trait

All arctic races have the following racial trait.

* Cold Endurance: Members of arctic races have a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of cold weather or exposure.

It might be possible to use this as a starting point for Toril 2.0 Uthgardt. I wonder, though, if people consider it necessary to retain the Utgardt as a separate race from humans, or if barbarian ought to be converted to a class, and all human barbarians and shamans* would simply start in GN.

*Spirit Shaman is available in Complete Divine.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:21 am

This brings up the question of whether or not the shaman will still exist as we know it. Also, if this proposal were to be implemented, would a system for exposure to the elements, fatigue, and other such factors be created? Would the survival skill be important (other than the ability to scavenge food and water)?

Personally, I am all for converting the barbarian to a class. Even if you wanted to keep the race as it currently is, you would really only need to change the name to Uthgardt (or any of the various tribe names).
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:32 am

I'm not saying anything. :)
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:48 am

I've been talking with a friend about something related. If weather has an effect, if food and drink have more of an effect, we'll probably have some people thrilled - and others ticked right off. I would like it, personally, being RP-Q. But I remember the whines, complaints, and outright demands to just get rid of eat/drink because it was a waste of time. Having to take care of your character (kind of like those neopets and stuff) should mean your character is more valuable, and you won't just roll up another one to take the 'right' mix of feats.

It's a tricky thing. We stand to lose either way, but we stand to gain if we make the right choice.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:03 pm

Auril wrote:I've been talking with a friend about something related. If weather has an effect, if food and drink have more of an effect, we'll probably have some people thrilled - and others ticked right off.

I say bring it on! I still fondly remember that week or so when there was an attempt to implement disease, and plagues ran rampant (or at the very least there was a run on NyQuil at the shops).
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:11 pm

Auril wrote:I've been talking with a friend about something related. If weather has an effect, if food and drink have more of an effect, we'll probably have some people thrilled - and others ticked right off. I would like it, personally, being RP-Q. But I remember the whines, complaints, and outright demands to just get rid of eat/drink because it was a waste of time. Having to take care of your character (kind of like those neopets and stuff) should mean your character is more valuable, and you won't just roll up another one to take the 'right' mix of feats.

It's a tricky thing. We stand to lose either way, but we stand to gain if we make the right choice.

Well, in 3.5, those inconveniences are what make the Survival skill worth taking (along with its impact on tracking.) I would suggest making a single char (barb or ranger, most likely) with enough ranks in Survival capable of protecting the entire group from environmental inconveniences. Thus they bring a little more to the group than straight tanking or damage. Of course, it might make sense for Druids and tracking rogues to have Survival as a class skill as well . . . but then that cuts into the balance factor.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”