Noncombat Encounters in 2.0?

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
moritheil
Sojourner

Noncombat Encounters in 2.0?

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:01 pm

A big part of the DnD 3.5 paradigm is that not every obstacle need be overcome with violence. Books regularly suggest that DMs award 100% or more of the XP from an encounter (125% is regularly seen) if the party manages to resolve things outside of combat.

Of course, on Toril we already have the concept of sneaking around fights ingrained in us, but has there been any thought given to something like opposed Diplomacy checks? The idea is that the face man of a party (bards or specialized charismatic rogues) could talk down a guard or other mob, causing it to de-load and go away. Of course, no loot would typically be acquired this way, but it might be a nice switchup from combat.

To balance it, you'd have to have a danger of loss, of course - perhaps a failure means the mob gets to attack you flat-footed (this translates to taking a penalty to AC initially if we aren't implementing flat-footedness,) or perhaps you lose some XP related to the amount you would have gained.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Cirath
Sojourner

Re: Noncombat Encounters in 2.0?

Postby Cirath » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:11 am

moritheil wrote:The idea is that the face man of a party (bards or specialized charismatic rogues)...

Let us not forget the paladins and clerics as well! In all seriousness, though, I fully support this product and/or service. It would, at the very least, produce a new breed of rogue that has not made its way on to Toril in the past, as well as preventing charisma from being the dump stat for all classes except bard and paladin.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:48 am

This would be a cool thing if it was imped in much the same manner as assassinate is now, once per day and all.

Could definitely see some situations where you would want to use this instead of assassinate (failing should only give a chance of initiating combat, among other penalty options).
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:29 pm

Would this be a pain to implement with the new code?
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Mirlantharn
Sojourner

Postby Mirlantharn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:54 am

Depends upon the new code, and it's structure. It could be a _very_ large pain, or might be only a minor modification (but still sizeable).

I myself would thuroughly enjoy this, if it was implemented.

Mirlantharn
the wanderlust mage
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:39 pm

Mirlantharn wrote:Mirlantharn
the wanderlust mage

:D
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Mirlantharn
Sojourner

Postby Mirlantharn » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:21 am

To wander, ie roam, walk, transverse.
Not to use wands, you silly ranger you. Get your head back into the trees before you knock yourself out with one!

Mirlantharn

PS. Rags, you're starting to owe me some rescues again, shortly.

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”