2.0 Update: Jan 29th 2006

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

2.0 Update: Jan 29th 2006

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:28 pm

2.0 Update

The news about 2.0 has been slow and quiet lately, so I'd like to take a minute to update everyone on the progress of 2.0. As you may remember from the previous announcements, all of the core systems of the update are complete, and those include:
    - New character attributes system
    - New combat engine
    - New magic system
    - New skill system
    - New race system
    - New classes
    - New races
    - New saving throw system
    - New damage resistance system
    - Deities and Domains
    - Feats
    - New weapons/armor foundation and standardization
    - New combat maneuver system

Note that this is not an all inclusive list - there is a ton of small features and changes, such as combat stances and cover, that are not included here for brevity's sake. There are also quite a few changes that have not been publicly announced yet, but will be forthcoming soon.

Content

While these core systems were all finished in the latter half of 2006, a large amount of work still remained in the content creation area. In a nutshell, that means creating spells, feats, combat maneuvers, and more. All of the feats and combat maneuvers had to be created from scratch obviously, but so did our entire spell list. While many, many new spells were added, our existing spells had to be ported or completely rewritten to work in the new magic system. While this was a lot of work initially, it will pay off in the long run, as the new spell system is designed from the ground up to accommodate rapid updates and creation.

I am happy to report that the worst of this is over, and the initial Toril 2.0 Feat and Spell lists are now complete. There are roughly 175 feats and 400 spells. Both of those numbers are sure to increase somewhat before final implementation of course. There are many, many, many more spells and feats that will be added into Toril in the future, and we anticipate a regular and healthy update cycle for new content after 2.0 goes live. An enormous amount of work has gone into streamlining and standardizing the spell/feat systems to allow for easy modification and creation, and you will see the benefits of this in the future.

What's Next

With all of the core systems complete, and the initial content complete, what remains is a small, but important part of this project - the details. Now its time to add bells and whistles, complete initial testing, clean up some messages, write help files, and code the last remaining pieces of the puzzle. Revamping the Mob AI to take advantage of these new feats, spells, and combat maneuvers is the biggest project left to tackle, as well as finishing up the new experience system. As soon as these final pieces fall into place and our initial testing is over, we will enter the beta testing phase of 2.0.

I know its been a long time coming, but we're almost there. I will be posting some excepts of the spell and feat lists in the coming weeks to give you a preview of what to expect.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:00 pm

(insert timeline here)
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:08 pm

Toril 2.0
Mudwide Game Revision

Syntax: varies
Aggressive: dependant upon player personality
Class/Level: All

COMING SOON
Eilistraee
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:59 pm

Awesome.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:58 pm

Make that 430 spells.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:25 am

Please tell me you don't have 20 different flavors of "magic missile". I want to attack the darkness with something new.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:41 pm

No, not really. Sure there's a lot of damage spells, but even those have tons of distinguishing features such as radius size, damage type, secondary effects, DoT, etc.

There's a ton of completely new spells of which we've never really had an equivalent on this MUD. I'll be posting a list of some examples this weekend.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:15 am

Melee skills/features? Or is this now a spellcaster's game?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Re: 2.0 Update: Jan 29th 2006

Postby Shevarash » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:32 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Melee skills/features? Or is this now a spellcaster's game?

Shevarash wrote: I will be posting some excepts of the spell and feat lists in the coming weeks to give you a preview of what to expect.

Missile Weapons and Combat Stances

Combat Maneuvers

Weapons and Armor Basics

Feats

Combat Basics
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:17 am

teflor the ranger wrote:Teflor retard Shevarizer.net
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:09 am

So when do we start finding out what the classes *coughrangerscough* are going to look like?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”