Toril 2.0: Spell Errata

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Toril 2.0: Spell Errata

Postby Shevarash » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:23 pm

Spell Errata

Here are some small, but interesting new features of 2.0. None of this is particularly earth shattering, but I figured you'd all appreciate as many details as possible. Also, before I start going into actual spell lists it will be helpful to see what kinds of spells are now possible. So without further ado, here's a few more features of the new Spell Engine.

Touch Spells

Touch spells require that you physically touch the target of your spell. When casting a touch spell, you can choose your target upfront and automatically attempt to hit them, or you can simply "charge" your hand with the spell. Up to two spells at a time can be charged in this manner - one for each hand. To discharge a touch spell, you use the Touch command which will automatically resolve your attack and activate the spell if successful.

Note that touch spells are only discharged when you succesfully hit your target, so you can continue to attempt attacks until you land one. Also note that not all touch spells are harmful - you can charge and hold a heal spell just as you can an offensive one. A few examples of touch spells would be: chill touch, inflict critical wounds, heal, touch of idiocy.

Focus

There are some spells whose effects last more than one round, such as call lightning. In this example, the caster summons a lightning bolt each round for three rounds to strike their target. The initial target is chosen at the time of casting, but while the spell is ongoing the caster can select a new target by using the Focus command, which will redirect the spell at the new target. In this way, the call lightning spell could be used to strike three different targets over 3 rounds. In the case of multi-round spells with an area effect, changing focus will in effect move the center of the radius to the new target, which can be useful for focusing damage or catching a different set of targets in your radius.

Teleportation

Teleportation spells in 2.0 are largely unchanged, except for the intra-zone spells such as dimension door, summon, teleport, etc. These spells are no longer limited by zone boundaries, but have a maximum range instead, that does not take zones into account at all. This allows for a wider range of spells and removes the artificialness that zone boundaries used to have on teleport spells.

Also, all personal teleportation spells can now set an anchor which can be used as a target for that character's teleport spell, rather than another character. This anchor will last until the character dies or the anchor is reset somewhere else. To set an anchor, you only need cast the teleportation spell in the room you wish to anchor to, with 'anchor' as the target. To return to the anchor, cast the teleportation spell again with 'return' as the target, and you will be whisked back to your anchor point - if it is within range, of course.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:30 pm

Interesting, so a cleric can have a heal spell ready for any length of time? Or does the charge eventually wear off if not used...

Secondly, if you target someone with a heal spell and they leave the room what happens to the spell? Does it become a charged touch spell instead, or does it dissipate?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:57 pm

They will eventually wear off, so you can't just have a spell perma-charged. They last a pretty good while though.

If the target leaves the room mid-cast, the spell will remain charged. It actually works by first charging the spell and then automatically trying to touch the specified target - so if they're not there, the touch just fails and the spell is still charged.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:10 pm

*giggles wickedly* Puts a whole new spin on the touch social!!!!

*skip* Looks like fun Shev! Can't wait!!!!

Sheverash wrote:Also, all personal teleportation spells can now set an anchor which can be used as a target for that character's teleport spell, rather than another character. This anchor will last until the character dies or the anchor is reset somewhere else. To set an anchor, you only need cast the teleportation spell in the room you wish to anchor to, with 'anchor' as the target. To return to the anchor, cast the teleportation spell again with 'return' as the target, and you will be whisked back to your anchor point - if it is within range, of course.

How many anchors can be set? Will this effect Relo? I mean the idea is loverly but will we still be able to target players if we're forming for a zone or something?
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:43 pm

touch of idiocy

finally figured out what happened to Nerox!!!!!
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:21 am

Lilira wrote:
How many anchors can be set? Will this effect Relo? I mean the idea is loverly but will we still be able to target players if we're forming for a zone or something?

Just one anchor at the moment, though that can be expanded if needed. And yes, it affects relo and other global teleportation spells, but maybe I didn't explain it well enough. Using anchors is only an extra option - you can still target players to relo to, just like now.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:47 am

Thanks for the clarification. :-)
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:50 am

Will there be an option to tog autofocus on?

Also, if we get engaged in combat, will a touch spell discharge when we hit an enemy (the way vamp touch works now?)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:00 am

moritheil wrote:Will there be an option to tog autofocus on?

Not sure what you mean. Your focus is set automatically when you cast the spell, you only need to use the focus command to change your focus. For example, if you "cast 'call lightning' sailor" your focus is the sailor. You can then type "focus pirate" to change it. I hope that answers your question.

moritheil wrote:Also, if we get engaged in combat, will a touch spell discharge when we hit an enemy (the way vamp touch works now?)

I struggled with that initially, but eventually decided that no, you will not discharge a touch spell just from an unarmed attack. You must purposefully touch the target to discharge it. However, I've been thinking that a toggle might be in order for this, as I can see situations where either way would be preferable. I'm open to suggestions.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:26 am

My mistake; I had thought that perhaps spells such as doom or call lightning would not work unless the user spammed "focus." Thanks for clearing that up :)

In 3.5, I know that it is occasionally argued that the "accidental discharge on your next touch" feature of touch spells is one of the limiting factors. However, that is more a limiting factor that prevents someone from keeping, say, Harm up all day long and discharging it only when they feel like it. It's clearly not going to be an issue here, so I don't know if you want accidental discharge to be part of the balance of touch spells.

One point in favor of that approach is that we apparently will not have real range gradations the way 3.5 tabletop has them. If a touch spell isn't any more dangerous to use than a short-range ranged touch spell (such as scorching ray) that could have implications for balance.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”