Toril 2.0: Q&A

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Sarell
Sojourner
Posts: 1681
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am
Location: brisbane, australia

Postby Sarell » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Will skill prac be rewarded on toril 2. Will targsk with the zillions of hours he put into maxing all skills get more points than say my yuan-ti who sucks in comparison?
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Sarvis » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:41 pm

No it won't, this has been covered several times...

Every character will get a set amount of skill points per level.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:04 pm

Actually, I haven't discussed the skill system at all. I will do so in a forthcoming announcement.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Sarvis » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:55 am

Ah, sorry. Looking back I see it was other people discussing the skill system rather than you.

So then, how about one of those announcements? :P
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Disoputlip
Sojourner
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Copenhagen

Postby Disoputlip » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Somewhere I heard for sure that arrows would be boot safe. Can anyone confirm that, and mabye provide the link to the place I think I saw it?
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:50 am

Will you have the ability to identify things in a shop, instead of possibly buying things as a new low level player only to find out the equipment you loaded with when you first started actually has better stats?

Will you be able to have groups that persist after death, reboot, or crash?

Will we have the ability to create our own channel so that multiple friends in different groups could still talk to each other without resorting to OOC or having to break the rules of lfgc? I realize there is already many channels, but I cannot see how this would be a bad addition.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Postby Ambar » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:33 am

I like channels too :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Botef
Sojourner
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Eastern Washington
Contact:

Postby Botef » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Tasan wrote:Will we have the ability to create our own channel so that multiple friends in different groups could still talk to each other without resorting to OOC or having to break the rules of lfgc? I realize there is already many channels, but I cannot see how this would be a bad addition.


Thats actually a really cool idea. Could even make a scaled down version of an assoc that players could run or join that is just a chat channel for friends.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:04 pm

The basic ideas that help create a better, tight-knit community can almost never be bad for this place. On that note, I'm wondering also if our world has progressed to be too big lately.

I've been gathering information from reputable sources within the gaming industry with a focus upon MMO development. Much of the information points to a critical mass per server around 2000 total people. Now in our world 2000 people would be way overkill, but part of that critical mass equation deals with the amount of world there is to do things in, which ties in very well here.

I think instead of expanding the world for awhile, we need to make sure what is currently in the game is quality, balanced zones that have a purpose more than just a roadway making it take longer to do things.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'



Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'



Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:33 pm

Tasan wrote:Will you have the ability to identify things in a shop, instead of possibly buying things as a new low level player only to find out the equipment you loaded with when you first started actually has better stats?


That's a good idea - I'll see if I can work it in.

Tasan wrote:Will you be able to have groups that persist after death, reboot, or crash?


Not planned at this time. Easy to make it persist through death, reboot/crash is another matter altogether though.

Tasan wrote:Will we have the ability to create our own channel so that multiple friends in different groups could still talk to each other without resorting to OOC or having to break the rules of lfgc? I realize there is already many channels, but I cannot see how this would be a bad addition.


Also a good idea, will think on it - but no, not part of 2.0 at this time.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Glorishan
Sojourner
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Glorishan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Shevarash wrote:
Tasan wrote:Will we have the ability to create our own channel so that multiple friends in different groups could still talk to each other without resorting to OOC or having to break the rules of lfgc? I realize there is already many channels, but I cannot see how this would be a bad addition.


Also a good idea, will think on it - but no, not part of 2.0 at this time.


I was thinking about this the other day at Tiamat... I was thinking it would be convenient if you could see the hp/mvs for people in a truncated list. So if you imp'd Tasan's idea, it'd be great if you could see the same info on the people tuned into that channel (assuming they're in the same room as you) as you would see for a normal group member when typing group.

For example: 30 people in a group at Tiamat, but I'm mostly concerned with 5 tanks. So I have those 5 tanks join my channel (or sub-group, or however you want to classify it). When I type group, I can see the info on all 30 people, but when I type subgroup I see just the info of those select few people.

Would be nice from a chatting perspective, but also from a game perspective.
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:20 pm

Shevarash wrote:
Tasan wrote:Will you have the ability to identify things in a shop, instead of possibly buying things as a new low level player only to find out the equipment you loaded with when you first started actually has better stats?


That's a good idea - I'll see if I can work it in.


I only posted this idea at least a year ago.
Gurns
Sojourner
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Gurns » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:29 pm

Tasan wrote:Will we have the ability to create our own channel so that multiple friends in different groups could still talk to each other without resorting to OOC or having to break the rules of lfgc? I realize there is already many channels, but I cannot see how this would be a bad addition.

I think a "Friends Chat Channel" would be a bad idea for several reasons.

Tasan wrote:The basic ideas that help create a better, tight-knit community can almost never be bad for this place.

I agree, but only if the ideas make our community more inclusive.

1. The mud pbase has typically been comprised of smallish, highly exclusive networks. An FCC would further reinforce that. Existing groups could become more tightly knit, but the larger community would become more fractured. And newbies would have more trouble getting into any networks at all, unless they come with their own group of friends.

2. Even a few years ago, socialization within a group had become minimal, much less than it was when we old-timers started. I assume people stopped chatting on gsay and started chatting on ACC. But socialization within the group is part of what attracted me, and I think many of us, to a group mud. Even when I wasn’t participating in the conversation, I could still enjoy the gsay chatting. Even if I was among a bunch of strangers, I could feel somewhat included. I could get a notion of who people were and what they were like. An FCC channel would further reduce in-group chatter.

3. The chatter I can see on shouts and OOC also lets me get a notion for who people are, what they’re like, what they like to do, and so on. It makes me feel like I’m not among a bunch of complete strangers. I think an FCC would reduce that chatter, and increase the isolation of newcomers and outsiders.


Yes, I think these things are a problem with ACC, too, but why make it worse with another exclusive channel?
Todrael
Sojourner
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:01 am
Location: MI, USA
Contact:

Postby Todrael » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:38 pm

Are bards going to retain their song abilities, such as song of healing or song of offensive disruption? Or are they going to be more like D&D bards, rogue/spellcasters with a few +hit/AC type bonuses from their extremely limited song list?
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Postby Tasan » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:07 am

Gurns wrote:1. The mud pbase has typically been comprised of smallish, highly exclusive networks. An FCC would further reinforce that. Existing groups could become more tightly knit, but the larger community would become more fractured. And newbies would have more trouble getting into any networks at all, unless they come with their own group of friends.


Talk about the typical from this mud all you want, that's all gone out the window. This mud isn't the same as it once was. The playerbase isn't the same, the type of gamer is not the same.

Gurns wrote:2. Even a few years ago, socialization within a group had become minimal, much less than it was when we old-timers started. I assume people stopped chatting on gsay and started chatting on ACC. But socialization within the group is part of what attracted me, and I think many of us, to a group mud. Even when I wasn’t participating in the conversation, I could still enjoy the gsay chatting. Even if I was among a bunch of strangers, I could feel somewhat included. I could get a notion of who people were and what they were like. An FCC channel would further reduce in-group chatter.


As far as I'm concerned, group chat is for things pertaining to what the group is doing. Chatter just makes me ignore anything that isn't coming from the leader. If you're grouped for experience, there is plenty of chatter. Especially if you're talking about Inames.

I think it's funny that you as someone that no longer plays can come in, bring up the past and categorically deny ideas from the existing playerbase. There aren't enough people to be exclusive to one small group. If they were really trying to be that cliqueish they could just form a group now and chat, since they wouldn't be wanting to group with other people... apparently.

Gurns wrote:3. The chatter I can see on shouts and OOC also lets me get a notion for who people are, what they’re like, what they like to do, and so on. It makes me feel like I’m not among a bunch of complete strangers. I think an FCC would reduce that chatter, and increase the isolation of newcomers and outsiders.


Please don't use OOC as a reference point. 50% of people don't ever turn it on. You cannot talk about the game on it. It isn't a relevant channel to the game at all. I haven't a clue why you think this would affect shouting. I don't usually "shout" to my friends, either.

Gurns wrote:Yes, I think these things are a problem with ACC, too, but why make it worse with another exclusive channel?


Because the place needs it. You want a fractured pbase? How about having to resort to Skype or teamspeak for people to talk to each other in a small group? These cut away from bandwidth which some people can't be a part of. Oh, but I'm sure that doesn't cause anyone to want to quit... Because it should be hard to have a conversation with people you want to.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'



Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'



Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:14 pm

Todrael wrote:Are bards going to retain their song abilities, such as song of healing or song of offensive disruption? Or are they going to be more like D&D bards, rogue/spellcasters with a few +hit/AC type bonuses from their extremely limited song list?


I'm not going to discuss class changes in detail in this thread, but I will say that Bards are in for some major changes.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:21 pm

Shevarash wrote:
Todrael wrote:Are bards going to retain their song abilities, such as song of healing or song of offensive disruption? Or are they going to be more like D&D bards, rogue/spellcasters with a few +hit/AC type bonuses from their extremely limited song list?


I'm not going to discuss class changes in detail in this thread, but I will say that Bards are in for some major changes.


That brings up my question which is, while I enjoy the posts, and the info on wizards, when can we expect(or can we expect?) another post on another class type soon? Rangers, Rogues, Warriors, Shaman, Druids, Specialized classess, Lich, Bards, etc. Or, any new races, or clases? Any idea when we might get a bit of tantalizing info? I know i'm chomping at the bit right now to get some info.

Also, will there be any changes to equipment slots? i.e. lets say we have a very ambidextrious(spelling sucks!) tank who wants to use two shields? Will that be a possibility, or feasible? I'm not sure if D&D allows for that type of thing.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:12 pm

It's nearing time for some more class related information, you're right.

As for equipment slot changes, uh..you can wear a buckler in addition to two weapons. You can't wear two shields though.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Pril
Sojourner
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:01 am

Postby Pril » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Shevarash wrote:It's nearing time for some more class related information, you're right.

As for equipment slot changes, uh..you can wear a buckler in addition to two weapons. You can't wear two shields though.


Can I wield 3 weapons instead of a buckler and 2 weapons? Maybe attach 1 weapon to my arm or something....
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:42 pm

Pril wrote:Can I wield 3 weapons instead of a buckler and 2 weapons? Maybe attach 1 weapon to my arm or something....


No.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:30 pm

In D&D, there's a template in one of the sourcebooks (savage species maybe?) called Insectile. What it does is give you four extra arms, but it specifies that you cannot use them "to make extra attacks." That's ok. One day I will build an Insectile Thri-Kreen Fighter with Weapon Specialization in the Eight-Handed Greatsword.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
avak
Sojourner
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:01 am

Postby avak » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:36 pm

I was going to put this in the announcement about weapons enchantments, but I think this thread is probably more appropriate.

My basic question is: are we headed towards a more fantastical mud with every character from the lowest levels up having pimped out gear and special features with lots of ansii and big, glorious descriptions?

I realize we already have that to an extent, but are we going farther in that direction? I feel like this ties directly to the concept of 'escalation' that many people seem to be troubled by, myself included. Zones keep getting added that, in effect, replace older zones; equipment keeps getting crazier stats. Everyone has the story that starts with, 'remember when GCD (insert eq or zone) was badass?'

My story is when I was a baby shaman I wanted the white-hot fiery mace SO bad because I wanted that proc! I wanted to get invited to do IC someday because I had heard that is where this amazing thing came from. Finally I got one and I was happy. I just gave one away the other day and apologized because it was kind of a weak hand-out.

I feel like I am getting dangerously close to 'dead-horse' territory with this post, but as much as I appreciate all of the efforts of the staff, I couldn't help but wince at the sight of all those enchantments. OTOH, I really do trust the vision of the staff, which is why I ask the question.
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:28 am

Actually, I was trying to refrain from voicing the same concern.

Why zone for a flame proccing weapon to use against cold-based monsters when you can get a flame/sonic/vamping/vorpal spork from a shop?
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
amolol
Sojourner
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:01 am

Postby amolol » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:31 am

will there be favored enemy's in 2.0

along with the same lines wll there be innate hated races live dwarves have (orc goblin giant and drow)
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:10 am

avak wrote:My basic question is: are we headed towards a more fantastical mud with every character from the lowest levels up having pimped out gear and special features with lots of ansii and big, glorious descriptions?

...

I feel like I am getting dangerously close to 'dead-horse' territory with this post, but as much as I appreciate all of the efforts of the staff, I couldn't help but wince at the sight of all those enchantments. OTOH, I really do trust the vision of the staff, which is why I ask the question.


I don't think you need to worry about this. I realize that weapon enchantments have a great potential to be unbalancing and am being very careful to keep them in check. Will you see a 20-30th level character earn a flaming weapon on their own? Probably, yes - but that enchantment probably isn't as awe inspiring as you're thinking and is actually quite suited towards a character of that level.

We're certainly not moving towards "pimping out" every single character with awesome gear, but we would like to make it possible to earn things commensurate with your level before hitting the endgame. I hope that addresses your concerns, if it doesn't please feel free to post a follow up question.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:16 am

Ashiwi wrote:Why zone for a flame proccing weapon to use against cold-based monsters when you can get a flame/sonic/vamping/vorpal spork from a shop?


You might be able to buy the spork in a shop, and maybe a flaming enchantment - but you are going to have to zone to get the rest. Maybe I wasn't clear in the announcement post, but the primary distribution channel for these enchantments is via zones and quests. Only the lowest level enchantments would ever be available for straight out purchase. So it's a lot like it is now when you zone for a proc weapon, except you get to apply it to the weapon of your choice. And of course, there will always be proc weapons that cannot be duplicated via enchantments...
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:21 am

amolol wrote:will there be favored enemy's in 2.0


Yes, favored enemies is a class feature of Rangers.

along with the same lines wll there be innate hated races live dwarves have (orc goblin giant and drow)


No, there is no "innate" favored enemy, it is purely a Ranger class feature.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:08 am

Well, Dwaves get AC bonuses against giants and to-hit bonuses against goblinoids... are those carrying over?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
amolol
Sojourner
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:01 am

Postby amolol » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:11 am

thats what im talkin about ragorn :P
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce



myspace.com/tgchef
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:35 pm

Will the new enchantments be available in the player modelled shops in Bloodstone? Will player-run shops be available in 2.0?



Ashiwillyrienne Autumnmoon's House of Nancery BladeDancery - Flaming Enchantments Sold Here

SALE TODAY! Silks, Satins and Stilettos - Get your silky sharp groove on!
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Yasden
Sojourner
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Postby Yasden » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:54 pm

I felt half my masculinity slip away after reading that, Kelly.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Birile
Sojourner
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Birile » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:27 pm

Funny, I got a warm fuzzy feeling from that myself...
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Ragorn wrote:Well, Dwaves get AC bonuses against giants and to-hit bonuses against goblinoids... are those carrying over?


Not planned at this time.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:48 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Will the new enchantments be available in the player modelled shops in Bloodstone? Will player-run shops be available in 2.0?


You're not going to find much in the way of enchantments in regular shops ever. Player run shops could certainly feature anything that a player was capable of obtaining, but this feature is not slated for the initial release for 2.0. Until that time, enchantments will be distributed via the usual zoning and questing channels.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Cirath
Sojourner
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Cirath » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:04 pm

With the introduction of costomizable weapon enchantments, and possibly more liberal identification rules, will there be any way to learn what an existing proc for a weapon does when identifying it (other than "waving it around to see if its magic")? As it stands, the vague names listed on the identification screen offer little to no explination of what the weapon's special abilities actually do.

Also, will there be any messages in the combat text to show whether or not you are bypassing a mob's damage reduction, or whether that creature even has damage reduction that might be circumvented by switching weapons?
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:31 pm

Cirath wrote:With the introduction of costomizable weapon enchantments, and possibly more liberal identification rules, will there be any way to learn what an existing proc for a weapon does when identifying it (other than "waving it around to see if its magic")? As it stands, the vague names listed on the identification screen offer little to no explination of what the weapon's special abilities actually do.


The descriptions for existing procs aren't really changing and are often vague on purpose. However, the new enchantments will be fully documented in the help files and an identify will clearly display the enchantments set on the weapon.

Cirath wrote:Also, will there be any messages in the combat text to show whether or not you are bypassing a mob's damage reduction, or whether that creature even has damage reduction that might be circumvented by switching weapons?


Not explicitly, but remember that we will use a strictly percentage based damage reduction system here - there is no "threshold" you have to overcome to do any damage at all. The descriptive adjectives in the new combat messages will give you a clue when your damage is being reduced though; if you suddenly start doing far less damage than usual there's a good chance you're running into DR. There will also be some magical means of determining a specific mob's DR settings.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Jurdex
Sojourner
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: New Orleans, La, USA

Postby Jurdex » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:48 pm

Sorry if any of this has been covered. I've tried to read as many 2.0 posts as possible lately. (It'd be awesome if there were a thread with a compiled list of links to all of Shev's posts on Toril 2.0, heh.)

How is ress going to work in 2.0? Will we still lose the same amount of experience, then have the same gain from a successful ress? And will there be failed resses still? What about ress effects? Will they still be in the game?

There has been a lot of talk about making exp more fun. With that in mind, will old exp haunts such as Tower be put on line exp-wise with other places such as DS or CM? I understand that's somewhat of an areas question, but I think you learn more as a player to actually play your class in a place like the Tower than you do in DS or the mines.. it baffles me why you'll earn less experience fighting in a much more dangerous place.

Has there been any thought to differentiating quest mobs in 2.0 from every other mobs? I've talked to new players who have grown weary of asking every farmer they run across questions only to be ignored.. thinking they might all be a potential quest mob.

Will the shaman class still exist in its current form, and if so, how will spirits work? Will it be a group heal class primarily still? It was mentioned that spirits will be allowed in hometowns? Will you still only have three summons per week? Can you still fail them? And since a shaman is a hybrid mage-priest, how will their spell list work in 2.0?

You mentioned elemental embodiment will effectively be open to all Wizards now.. Does that mean that all wizards will be able to use embody to heal themselves? (Cast it, dispel it, cast it, dispel it.. thus effectively giving all wizards with embodiment a form of healing) Or have you altered the spell that it will no longer give that benefit?

Will you still be stuck wording to your hometown instead of being able to select which guildmaster you wish to recall to? I know you mentioned anchoring in your spell errata post.. will that hold true to word of recall?

Thanks!

Dornax
Jurdex
Drax
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Jurdex wrote:How is ress going to work in 2.0?


That's a difficult question to answer without going into the intricacies of the new exp system, which will be announced soon. For now, I can say that the experience system has been completely rewritten from the ground up, and ress will function a bit differently.


Jurdex wrote:There has been a lot of talk about making exp more fun. With that in mind, will old exp haunts such as Tower be put on line exp-wise with other places such as DS or CM?


2.0 features an in-game mobile converter, which is a fancy way of saying that all mob's stats - including experience - are standardized based on their level, race, and class. This will eliminate the issue of certain zones giving far more exp than others which should in turn increase the viability of many forgotten exp areas. While not as glamorous as some of the changes, this mob standardization is an important part of 2.0.

Jurdex wrote:Has there been any thought to differentiating quest mobs in 2.0 from every other mobs?


No, we haven't discussed that at all. Initially I'd have to say that I don't like the idea very much, but I'll bring it up with the rest of the staff and see what the consensus is.

Jurdex wrote:Will the shaman class still exist in its current form, and if so, how will spirits work? Will it be a group heal class primarily still? It was mentioned that spirits will be allowed in hometowns? Will you still only have three summons per week? Can you still fail them? And since a shaman is a hybrid mage-priest, how will their spell list work in 2.0?


Well, no class will exist in their "current" form. I'm not going to discuss particulars of the Shaman class at this time, but I will say that they are changing pretty drastically into what I would consider a much more balanced class.

Jurdex wrote:You mentioned elemental embodiment will effectively be open to all Wizards now.. Does that mean that all wizards will be able to use embody to heal themselves?


To clarify, those spells will only be available to you if you haven't banned their spell school (Transmutation) and if you have done the quests where needed. The embodiment spells also have a new name and new functionality, which does not include healing. That's not to say the spells got downgraded as they've been improved in all the other areas...they just won't be able to heal.

Jurdex wrote:Will you still be stuck wording to your hometown instead of being able to select which guildmaster you wish to recall to? I know you mentioned anchoring in your spell errata post.. will that hold true to word of recall?


Word of recall is unchanged at this time. This is something that will definitely be updated when guildhalls and player homes are in development, but for now it will remain as is.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4876
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:20 pm

Sorry if this was already covered in the thread but...

Will res sickness still exist? Downtime and excuses to go AFK were my biggest pet peeves about this game.

Also, any idea when Toril 2.0 will actually roll out?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
tirall
Sojourner
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:05 am

will group sizes be lowered?

Postby tirall » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:03 pm

Since all combat code is being totally revamped, has any thought been given to lowering group sizes and rescaling the differences between pc/npc power? One of the stated goals of 2.0 is to reduce time sinks. Putting together and maintaining groups of 15 people with varying time constraints has got to be one of the biggest time sinks in the game. If you want to attract a larger playerbase again, you need to make it possible for people to come and play for relatively short periods of time(1-3 hours) and be able to accomplish something meaningful in that amount of time. I personally dislike the chaos involved dealing with 15 man groups, the spam is horrendous, and it can be quite difficult to keep track of everything happening during fights.

I am really looking forward to all of the changes for 2.0, but they will be lost on me(and many others) if playing seriously still requires committing large blocks of continuous playing time to have any "fun".
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:51 pm

Dalar wrote:Will res sickness still exist? Downtime and excuses to go AFK were my biggest pet peeves about this game.


Not in its current form, no. The entire experience/death/ressing cycle has been re engineered, and while you won't be standing right up from death with all spells memmed and stats at full, you will be able to play effectively very quickly after a ress. Oh, and actually, you CAN get right back up with no penalty - but that's a special spell, and it's not cheap. More information on this will be in the upcomign experience system announcement.

Dalar wrote:Also, any idea when Toril 2.0 will actually roll out?


When it's done. It's getting close. I'll post a target as soon as I have a reasonable level of confidence in it.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Re: will group sizes be lowered?

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:55 pm

tirall wrote:Since all combat code is being totally revamped, has any thought been given to lowering group sizes and rescaling the differences between pc/npc power?


No, not really. However, 2.0 will open up a ton of new tactics which may make zoning with less people feasible. There will also be some new anti-spam measures which will hopefully make zoning with more people a little less arduous.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Jurdex
Sojourner
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: New Orleans, La, USA

Postby Jurdex » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:17 am

Is there anything being done in terms of prestige?

One thing that would be interesting is if you had prestige for every major hometown/area of the mud and as you completed quests or did exp in those areas it would positively or negatively impact your prestige.

It'd be pretty neat if you had enough prestige in Waterdeep that they opened the gates for you when they were closed/locked.

Or if you gained enough prestige in Griffon's Nest that they allowed you west of the concourse and you could check out Kralgar without being instantly attacked.

Dornax
Jurdex
Drax
Cirath
Sojourner
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Cirath » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:17 pm

Jurdex wrote:Also, I don't know if it has been covereed, but how will Damage Reduction work in 2.0? Will it exist?


Shev said the following in response to a question I had about damage reduction earlier in this very thread:

Shevarash wrote:but remember that we will use a strictly percentage based damage reduction system here - there is no "threshold" you have to overcome to do any damage at all. The descriptive adjectives in the new combat messages will give you a clue when your damage is being reduced though; if you suddenly start doing far less damage than usual there's a good chance you're running into DR. There will also be some magical means of determining a specific mob's DR settings.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Jurdex wrote:1) Will evil-aligned dwarves be allowed in Mithril Hall? (I'm not sure if this is a FR theme thing or not.)


I'm not sure on this one. I don't think we should sacrifice the theme here by allowing evil dwarves into MH, personally, but there's no reason why evil dwarves couldn't start somewhere else, like BG. Of course that raises the question of changing hometowns, which has not been addressed yet...we'll see about that in the future.

Jurdex wrote:2) When we're a higher level than a mob, is there any consideration being given to giving us a chance to see the mob's level and classes?


Perhaps some magical divination tools to determine a mob's abilities would work, but I don't see expanding the consider command to include that kind of detail. It just doesn't make much sense to me - there's no way you can glance at a character and determine all of their abilities.

Jurdex wrote:3) Will there be any differentiation on damage reduction? i.e. DR against physical attacks, DR against magic attacks, and true DR which works against everything?


You can have DR for every damage type, just like in D&D. Bludgeon, Slash, Pierce, Unarmed, Fire, Cold, Acid, Electricity, Holy, Unholy, are a sampling of the list of damage types.

See the Character Attributes thread for more information on DR.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Yayaril
Sojourner
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Green Bay, WI

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:07 pm

8)

Does Toril 2.0 have large talons?
Sarvis
Sojourner
Posts: 6369
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Contact:

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:16 pm

No, but it does have lips as red as rubies and firm, yet supple... tight embraces.

/obscure?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:55 pm

Any chance we'll be getting another teaser post about a new feature, or class anytime soon Shev? Must have more info, inquiring minds want to know.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Birile
Sojourner
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Birile » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:40 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Any chance we'll be getting another teaser post about a new feature, or class anytime soon Shev? Must have more info, inquiring minds want to know.


Same question!
Birile
Sojourner
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Birile » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:44 pm

Birile wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Any chance we'll be getting another teaser post about a new feature, or class anytime soon Shev? Must have more info, inquiring minds want to know.


Same question!


Bump?

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests