equipment based prots and spell effects in 2.0

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Demuladon
Sojourner

equipment based prots and spell effects in 2.0

Postby Demuladon » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:19 pm

A thought I had whilst reading another thread..

..what would happen if, in 2.0, most prots/spell effects were removed from equipment?

*it would make !burn gear important
*gear turn-over due to acid/cold/fire puffing would greatly increase making all gear more valuable
*would allow some burnable items increased power, because there is a good chance it will puff in short while during a fight
*would make planar travel/zoning tougher
*would make Realms a necessity
*would make monkscool to play (!gear to burn?)
*would reduce difference between old-school and newbie power levels?
*would increase fun and make for memorable trips.. (missed bash on the the mob evoker? puff puff puff puff puff puff puff puff)

As it used to be years ago before equipment escalation, let's make it tougher again to find a full set that allows us to run around with permanent,

Detecting: Invisible Evil Good Magic Life Heat
Protected from: Fire Cold Gas Acid Light
Enchantments: Displacement Fly Sequester Waterbreath Faresee No Sleep No Summon

with great Saving Throws, -150ac and +350hps of gear etc etc
Tasan
Sojourner

Re: equipment based prots and spell effects in 2.0

Postby Tasan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm thinking that in the new system you are going to have protections that work like resistances. Some armor may have 15% resistance to acid, or 50% to fire etc. I would think that full immunity will mean gathering quite a bit of different pieces to go together to get to 100%.

As for !burn stuff, most high level stuff is already !burn because people simply won't play if they zone for 6 hours in BC and the next day their robe starts on fire. Random loss of equipment isn't a good system for controlling equipment values. A lot of good gear comes from drawn out quests which no one wants to have to do a second time just because dragons are a dime a dozen in the game now. Also, most dragon fights can be prepared for ahead of time... you'd see people carting around equipment sets just for dragons. Giving normal mages the ability to nuke equipment would just make people find other games to play.

The idea is to make a character unique. Forcing everyone to stock up on !burn equipment will accomplish the opposite.

Shev has already said monks wouldn't be coming back. I don't see how this would suddenly cause a dichotomy between new players and old that isn't already there.

The new equipment system should allow for more categories of improvement then the standard +hp, +dam, prot, ac that are important now. Equipment that boosts attribute scores will actually be worth something again. Also depending on how you choose to build your character, you will have many different choices on how to equip.
Last edited by Tasan on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Lilira
Sojourner

Re: equipment based prots and spell effects in 2.0

Postby Lilira » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:43 pm

Tasan wrote:Shev has already said monks wouldn't be coming back. I don't see how this would suddenly cause a dichotomy between new players and old that isn't already there.

Actually... What Shev said was Monks will not be coming in as people remember them or some such thing. I looked and couldn't find the quote, and I don't have an hour to dig further as I've already looked for 30 minutes, and search didn't help me.

House to clean, walls to paint, all that jazz.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:01 pm

Monks will go in. The question was asked in the Q&A thread, and Shevy just said he wasn't going to tell. Seems like a clear indication that they're in to me. ;)

That, and they're part of D&D so it'd be silly to leave them out.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:56 pm

Monks actually benefit quite a bit from gear in 3.5. Admittedly, much of it is not the same as the gear that fighters tend to wear, but it is gear nonetheless!
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”