Wipe?

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion

Do you want a full player wipe?

Yes.
51
47%
No.
57
53%
 
Total votes: 108
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Wipe?

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:16 pm

Since people seem to want a full wipe poll, i'm curious how many people actually want a full wipe? Sorry to jack your thread Thil, but i'm pretty curious. It's a simple question, yes or no, no middle ground.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:59 am

Bump. More votes.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:26 pm

I'm holding off voting, just like on Thil's, because while I have stated that the game is in need of a pwipe, I would rather see other measures taken either instead of, or in conjunction with, a pwipe.

For example... you could have each player determine one character to keep, and wipe all the rest, along with a mass equipment wipe. You could just do a mass equipment wipe, giving each player the option to save one or two pieces. You could have a rust monster plague combined with circumstances that cause the economy to go belly up and the banks to close. You could have a plague that leaves the corpse impossible to ress from and the gear on it tainted with the same sickness.

I'm all for creative methods of getting the job done. Unfortunately, I fear there would be a greater outcry against those methods. Mudders are way too typically of the mindset "misery loves company, and if I have to be miserable then everybody else had better be miserable as well." If you pwipe, then we'll all be on an even footing in the beginning and the power mudders know they'll come out on top. If you use chance and circumstance as factors and one of the power mudders is effected, then more than likely we'll get to see temper tantrums of epic proportion. We'll hear "I'm all for a system that fixes equipment inflation as long as it doesn't effect me; if it hits me then I'll quit and never come back."

It seems to me that if you want to institute changes that limit equipment inflation, then you would have to do it in conjunction with a pwipe, because it would be less of a shock to the system if players were given an opportunity to adapt to the new system. I would rather not see a pwipe unless some other measures were put into place with it, because we'd be back in the same boat far too quickly.

As the game stands now, I would have to vote "no." It's not a simple "yes or no" answer for me. I see a pwipe as necessary to the game, but there's no point in pwiping without instituting other mechanisms of control.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:08 pm

The only thing I'd love to see is a definite 'maybe' from Shev being that leveling is 'easier' but how much? It takes some months to xp due to rl. The other factor is the rareload rate, etc for quest spells, which I hate.

Warriors, rogues, blah blah don't have to quest to be their most powerful. I really wish mages and clerical types were the same. I'm rather social in my decisions tho, if most wanted a pwipe, I'd jump in on it to! Well, if the people who are juts amazingly great a.k.a. Lilithelle, wanted it! There are some others that just rock but if I list some and forget others, then I'd just be an ass :(

P.S. I miss Fotex!
Birile
Sojourner
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Birile » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:26 pm

Wow, exactly 50/50 with my vote.
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:52 pm

Keep in mind that if the vote stays about 50/50, that means at least half of the no's would still play. I'm curious how many people would come back and how many newbies we could keep if Toril wiped.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:13 pm

If only there were a way to test drive the new mud to see just how much user friendly it is in xp'g ..

It'd be nice if there were a week of pure beta test so we could play/test and it doesn't count, but we'd get an idea of how things were. THEN decide.

The absolute only thing I hate..and I mean HATE, is having to re-quest spells and mega eq's like kern's. Rares are _not_ fun. They're a chore. Then you have squabbles about others walking in and they are ready to fight, while you're still forming. Just gets ugly. Oh how I wish quest spells could cost something else besides players' t i m e.
Birile
Sojourner
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Birile » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Gormal wrote:Keep in mind that if the vote stays about 50/50, that means at least half of the no's would still play. I'm curious how many people would come back and how many newbies we could keep if Toril wiped.


Was thinking the same thing, Gormal.
moritheil
Sojourner
Posts: 4845
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2001 6:01 am

Postby moritheil » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:29 pm

Thilindel wrote:Oh how I wish quest spells could cost something else besides players' t i m e.


In a sense, though, anything that can be called an accomplishment requires time. Zoning requires time, XP requires time, and talking to quest mobs or RPers requires time. That suggests to me that this is not about time so much as it is about how fun or how boring that time is.

When people XP and zone, they can talk to their groupmates. When they solo, they're usually concentrating on fighting nonstop and watching out for walkins and escape routes if need be. However, when they go to check for rares, often there is no compelling activity they have to engage in aside from simply being there. There are no challenging fights for a level 50 character going to check GC - there is only the run down, the run through the zone, and the run back to town. The same is true for someone checking to see if Kassinak loaded (gate smoke, look around, relo home) and for many other rares (run to desert, look for Zog, run back.)

The fundamental concept behind DnD has always been, "Kill things and take their loot." While many people prefer RP to killing endless hordes of monsters, there is neither RP nor killing involved in running around. Due to being devoid of challenges percieved as meaningful, rare checking has acquired an unfortunate onus as boring.

It seems that rare checking would be less reviled if there were activities that people felt better about that took up an equal amount of time.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:54 pm

Simply put, all quests should revolve around a challenge.

That challenge should NEVER be "be in the right place when the right mob loads."

The challenge should also NEVER be "through trial and error, figure out which 'soft, blue item' is the specific valueless trinket that this mob is looking for.'"
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Glorishan
Sojourner
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Glorishan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Thilindel wrote:Warriors, rogues, blah blah don't have to quest to be their most powerful. I really wish mages and clerical types were the same.


The flip side to this is that warriors/rogues are completely reliant upon EQ to be their most powerful. I could play glorishan with low-mid level equipment and be no worse off in 95% of instances.
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:04 pm

Glorishan wrote:instances.


Wait, what game are we talking about? I'm confused:(
Glorishan
Sojourner
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Glorishan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:10 pm

Gormal wrote:I'm confused:(
That's cause you're an idiot.
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'

Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'

Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Postby Ambar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:42 am

I always thought quest spells should require you to play the class to its fullest at that level .. it should challenge your ability, but be attainable .. maybe die a few times or whatever .. but learn something in the process .. always thought they should be made for the character to do alone, too
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:04 am

Glorishan wrote:The flip side to this is that warriors/rogues are completely reliant upon EQ to be their most powerful. I could play glorishan with low-mid level equipment and be no worse off in 95% of instances.


Well, a cleric w/o res is useless in a zone somewhat. Necros are usually invited for the walks. Shammies for the gheal, etc.

If you have mediocre eq as warrior/rogue, you still get the job done.
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:19 am

Thilindel wrote:Well, a cleric w/o res is useless in a zone somewhat.


What game are you playing? I can't remember the last time I said, oh dang we can't zone because our cleric doesn't have Resurrection.

Incidentally, people who primary melee classes have actually requested skills w/ quests in the past. I don't see spell quests as a problem, more their specific implementation.

Shadowwalk is an excellent spell quest.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:22 am

Ragorn wrote:The challenge should also NEVER be "through trial and error, figure out which 'soft, blue item' is the specific valueless trinket that this mob is looking for.'"


The real issue here is not having the mob return things it doesn't ask for. Challenges when related to quests are hardly ever a challenge after the 1st or 2nd time through since information on quests is shared so readily now. I feel sorry for the Mplor's/Todrael/Revenki's of the world that had to pioneer difficult quests only to have that information doled out to everyone by people who couldn't care less about the achievement.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'



Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'



Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Birile
Sojourner
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Birile » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:26 pm

Ambar wrote:I always thought quest spells should require you to play the class to its fullest at that level .. it should challenge your ability, but be attainable .. maybe die a few times or whatever .. but learn something in the process .. always thought they should be made for the character to do alone, too


I heart Elemental Earth Embodiment quest.
Ambar
Sojourner
Posts: 2872
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Our House in Va.
Contact:

Postby Ambar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:50 pm

Birile wrote:
Ambar wrote:I always thought quest spells should require you to play the class to its fullest at that level .. it should challenge your ability, but be attainable .. maybe die a few times or whatever .. but learn something in the process .. always thought they should be made for the character to do alone, too


I heart Elemental Earth Embodiment quest.


Exactly, perfect way to show you can actually play the class .. loved that one too
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."



-Italian Proverb
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4876
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:02 pm

OH SHIT IF YOU GUYS PWIPE IM GUNNA QUIT
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Glorishan
Sojourner
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Glorishan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Thilindel wrote:
Glorishan wrote:The flip side to this is that warriors/rogues are completely reliant upon EQ to be their most powerful. I could play glorishan with low-mid level equipment and be no worse off in 95% of instances.


Well, a cleric w/o res is useless in a zone somewhat. Necros are usually invited for the walks. Shammies for the gheal, etc.

If you have mediocre eq as warrior/rogue, you still get the job done.


Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here. A decent group with a cleric worth his salt will probably be absolutely fine w/o res. For example, not long after the last pwipe (I was level 41), we did Jot invasion. I was the ONLY cleric for the whole zone, and we did just fine. In fact, we had a 0 death ONE run Loki fight.

Had our melee types not had good eq, it would have been a much bigger issue than the fact that I didn't have res.
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'

Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'

Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Birile
Sojourner
Posts: 1413
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Birile » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:55 pm

Ambar wrote:
Birile wrote:
Ambar wrote:I always thought quest spells should require you to play the class to its fullest at that level .. it should challenge your ability, but be attainable .. maybe die a few times or whatever .. but learn something in the process .. always thought they should be made for the character to do alone, too


I heart Elemental Earth Embodiment quest.


Exactly, perfect way to show you can actually play the class .. loved that one too


I forgot to give props to Life Walk quest, too--sorry.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:28 pm

What I was saying is a group leader, if facing two lvl 50 clerics who play equally as well..one with and one without res - well, there's only one choice typically. Same thing with invoker. There wouldn't be much use for a lvl 50 voker w/o swarm/ferno/ballz.

I'm not sure on other D&D high end spells, but what I saw in the player handbook (again no clue if it's the true hb, or just a module's) higher circles are granted. *shrug*

I don't see the fun of x number of ppl in line rushing for the very same rare per boot, etc., ...hell what's the point?

Off topic but the idea is to point out someone had to leak info: Another quirky thing on quest spells and this instance specifically on quest item.. just look at oblivion, even tho it's EQ. Who the hell would ever have known it procs from a said word since the damned thing is !ID.
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:36 pm

Thilindel wrote:What I was saying is a group leader, if facing two lvl 50 clerics who play equally as well..one with and one without res - well, there's only one choice typically.


Naw. You always take a Glorishan over any other cleric. Even if he's only 36 and it's jot invasion. The fact that you think 2 players are equal and can only be distinguished by a quested spell is wrong. Res doesn't stop a spank, which Glorishan would undoubtedly... I mean, he doesn't even die. Unless you're talking about Disruption Burst and doing it Shentoin(that's old skool!), then you just plain escalate.
Last edited by Tasan on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'



Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'



Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Sarell
Sojourner
Posts: 1681
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am
Location: brisbane, australia

Postby Sarell » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:00 pm

Tasan wrote:
Thilindel wrote:What I was saying is a group leader, if facing two lvl 50 clerics who play equally as well..one with and one without res - well, there's only one choice typically.


Naw. You always take a Glorishan over any other cleric. Even if he's only 36 and it's jot invasion. The fact that you think 2 players is equal and can only be distinguished by a quested spell is wrong. Res doesn't stop a spank, which Glorishan would undoubtedly... I mean, he doesn't even die. Unless you're talking about Disruption Burst and doing it Shentoin(that's old skool!), then you just plain escalate.


I was overwhelmed by the coolness of this post before I even finished reading or comprehending what I had read! Damn Glorishan is hot. TOUCH Clerics who don't dice for afk are weak imho.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Postby Gormal » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Shentoin dburster checking in.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:54 am

Glori will pshift into scorps before the zone ends!
moritheil
Sojourner
Posts: 4845
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2001 6:01 am

Postby moritheil » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:17 am

Gormal wrote:Shentoin dburster checking in.


I have a group that would like for you to check in with them. :wink:
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Postby Corth » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:23 am

I'm just surprised how close the voting is... close to 50/50. Clearly more people are in favor of a pwipe than in the past. So the trend is pretty straightforward. It will be interesting to see what Shev does about this issue once a clear majority favors a wipe.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kegor
Sojourner
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2001 6:01 am
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Postby Kegor » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:36 am

Stands to reason that there would be quite a few votes out there from people who play other muds that might be interested in trying/playing 2.0 also.

With no pwipe, there would be significantly less of course. Part of the challenge and competition of this mud is against other players for eq, zoneability status, and various other minor things that are much more appealing on a !pkill mud. If that challenge is already lost in a landslide 8 year head start on behalf of whats left of the people that play here, I think a lot of folks will still opt for thier own comfort zone elsewhere.

With no pwipe, I wouldn't feel it neccessary to go spam people on other muds to advertise either. That would be about as appealing as inviting them to a party at a retirement home.

Voting in this case doesn't really matter, because we all know it would bring more people than we would lose. Seperating the people that don't want to actually play the game from the people who do, while opening the doors nice and wide for the people from other muds who want a fresh start on a fresh game, does seem like the most logical thing to do. Unless we have decided to operate under the radar, and be in our own private world of the same 100 people who actually play anymore. But what do I know? I must be delusional in some way, because I keep posting on these threads thinking it might do some good. Oh, well. Think I will go out and buy WoW this weekend. I hear good things.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm reading everything - there's no reason to be negative. If anything, there's a lot to be positive about right now.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:22 pm

Jaznolg wrote: Think I will go out and buy WoW this weekend. I hear good things.


You might want to wait until WoW wipes. There's a ton of level 70's now, and they all have very high tier gear. I mean, I doubt you'll really find people who want to do MC or Ony, or other pre70 major instances now.

I mean, you'll start at level 1. Why would you want to be level 1 with all those other decked 70's out there?

/sarcasm.

I swear. Pwipe is mud abortion. The pro-lifers are the people who want to wipe, and the pro-choice are the people who want to wipe. It's insane how this brings up peoples feelings on the matter. No, you don't for a fact know you'd gain more than you'd lose if you wipe. I find it funny though, that while you say it'll seperate the people who play the game from those who don't. So it seems like you're saying those of us who don't want a wipe, don't play the game, or we don't play the game the amount you think we should? I think I play the game enough for what it is. I do the tia run when i'm not working, and login at night to see what's goin on and zone. I just fail to see how that's "not playing the game."

Last I checked, some of the people who want a wipe are people who literally don't play the game. Who idle in it, a lot more than I do, or just don't login. Maybe i'm wrong, not sure. But yeah, enjoy WoW.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Postby Corth » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:55 pm

Yeah I think that people who are actively playing are less likely to want a wipe than people who got bored and left.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Tasan
Sojourner
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Fridley, Mn USA
Contact:

Postby Tasan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:47 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:You might want to wait until WoW wipes. There's a ton of level 70's now, and they all have very high tier gear. I mean, I doubt you'll really find people who want to do MC or Ony, or other pre70 major instances now.


WoW opens a new server almost monthly... kinda like a pwipe... what dya know.

Arilin wrote:Last I checked, some of the people who want a wipe are people who literally don't play the game. Who idle in it, a lot more than I do, or just don't login. Maybe i'm wrong, not sure. But yeah, enjoy WoW.


Maybe those people don't want to waste their time on the current incarnation because of all the problems and are hoping for a wipe that comes with some fixes to the gameplay... just maybe...

I mean... obviously you'd continue to play WoW or EQ or some other game if it had horrendous problems right? You'd just continue playing until they patched everything. I mean, I know I come home every day and fire up Super Mario Brothers because it has so much engaging content that I'm always having fun.

/sarcasm
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'



Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'



Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 am

Re: Wipe?

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Thu May 08, 2008 11:43 pm

Wipe. Wipe Indeed. In favor of a wipe. I think we should wipe.

You know what would be a good idea? A wipe. A player wipe.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Contact:

Re: Wipe?

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri May 09, 2008 4:10 pm

I think there are plenty of alternatives to a wipe. Perhaps one being starting a second mud. Leave the current incarnation of toril up on this port with all pfiles/etc intact. Start a second one on a different port. Impliment the changes, etc. If the "new one" flops because everyone is pissed off with starting anew, you'll always have the option of importing pfiles from the old one and attacking the problem later, no harm done.

Del
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Wipe?

Postby Gormal » Fri May 09, 2008 4:38 pm

Splitting an already anorexic player base is not a good solution.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Contact:

Re: Wipe?

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sat May 10, 2008 11:10 pm

I'm not certain i would consider it "splitting" the pbase. Players would likely play both, yet split their time between the two. Unlikely it would be split equally. Certianly an interesting conundrum. Glad i'm not the one who has to make the decision.
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Re: Wipe?

Postby Corth » Sun May 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Not split equally.. so 6 people play one mud, and 16 the other? Fail to see how that is helping things.

Realistically, everyone would end up migrating to one or the other.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth



Goddamned slippery mage.
Thilindel
Sojourner
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: Wipe?

Postby Thilindel » Sun May 11, 2008 5:47 pm

I'd opt for a pwipe IF I didn't have to request spells, etc. I should be able to retain large quest items. I look at the time lost if there's a true pwipe. I'd just quit because I'm not up to redoing dscales, fire embody, etc. I'd quit from losing epic quest items as well. I'm very helpful in game when I have time. I don't hound for free items. I like to volunteer my time, which is cool - but to lose what I intentionally worked for would absolutely suck.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 am

Re: Wipe?

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Sun May 11, 2008 10:57 pm

A pwipe is obviously needed, for the good of the mud, the reasons have already been explained numerous times. I apologize but this has to be said: If all of the few veteran players say they will quit with a wipe, then good riddance. I believe the temptation to play a new revamped toril will bring many old players back to the table even though they say they will quit.

This mud needs new blood, new players, it will not survive on the remaining pbase. Without a wipe, all we're gonna get is the old players, as it is now. And obviously, that's not working. So I don't see a motive for not pwiping, unless the status quo is really what you all want for the mud. Every vet player could come back from the past 1-2 years and still the pbase would be nowhere near what it could be without an influx of new players that a pwipe would attract.

The decision is simple, I don't understand why it's even being debated. Other than the age-old promise of no more pwipes that just might put this mud into the ground for good.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4876
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Re: Wipe?

Postby Dalar » Mon May 12, 2008 4:36 am

Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:A pwipe is obviously needed, for the good of the mud, the reasons have already been explained numerous times. I apologize but this has to be said: If all of the few veteran players say they will quit with a wipe, then good riddance. I believe the temptation to play a new revamped toril will bring many old players back to the table even though they say they will quit.

This mud needs new blood, new players, it will not survive on the remaining pbase. Without a wipe, all we're gonna get is the old players, as it is now. And obviously, that's not working. So I don't see a motive for not pwiping, unless the status quo is really what you all want for the mud. Every vet player could come back from the past 1-2 years and still the pbase would be nowhere near what it could be without an influx of new players that a pwipe would attract.

The decision is simple, I don't understand why it's even being debated. Other than the age-old promise of no more pwipes that just might put this mud into the ground for good.


We're not getting new blood because everyone is decked out. We're not getting new blood because there is no reason to play a stagnant game. A pwipe will just boot out veteran players and bring back some people for a few months, then they'll quit again. Woopty doo. The decision is simple, give up.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 am

Re: Wipe?

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Mon May 12, 2008 4:43 am

Dalar wrote:
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet wrote:A pwipe is obviously needed, for the good of the mud, the reasons have already been explained numerous times. I apologize but this has to be said: If all of the few veteran players say they will quit with a wipe, then good riddance. I believe the temptation to play a new revamped toril will bring many old players back to the table even though they say they will quit.

This mud needs new blood, new players, it will not survive on the remaining pbase. Without a wipe, all we're gonna get is the old players, as it is now. And obviously, that's not working. So I don't see a motive for not pwiping, unless the status quo is really what you all want for the mud. Every vet player could come back from the past 1-2 years and still the pbase would be nowhere near what it could be without an influx of new players that a pwipe would attract.

The decision is simple, I don't understand why it's even being debated. Other than the age-old promise of no more pwipes that just might put this mud into the ground for good.


We're not getting new blood because everyone is decked out. We're not getting new blood because there is no reason to play a stagnant game. A pwipe will just boot out veteran players and bring back some people for a few months, then they'll quit again. Woopty doo. The decision is simple, give up.




Considering 2.0 will be implemented along with this pwipe, it would no longer be a stagnant game. Perhaps they'll stay more than just a few months, since practically the whole game is being altered.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Botef
Sojourner
Posts: 1056
Joined: Fri May 10, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Eastern Washington
Contact:

Re: Wipe?

Postby Botef » Mon May 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Unless progression is seriously altered in 2.0 to be fast a pwipe wouldn't go too well.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm not too keen on spending another 6+ years redoing what I've already done to get back to where I am now. I'd much rather see new avenues of progression and gameplay than revisiting what I've already done.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Contact:

Re: Wipe?

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed May 14, 2008 8:52 pm

So here's an obvious thought that undoubtedly has crossed a lot of minds, but what about a partial reimbursement type situation? For instance, for every 10 character levels you get 2. And/or Pick 3 items on your current player that you wish to carry over to your new one (perhaps even including tia items). This will allow the veterans a distinct advantage and something for their previous time spent on the game, but not "flood" the game with tons and tons of equipment. The skills are truly the core of this game, and probably will be even more so in the 2.0 incarnation.

Del
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 am

Re: Wipe?

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Thu May 15, 2008 6:02 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:So here's an obvious thought that undoubtedly has crossed a lot of minds, but what about a partial reimbursement type situation? For instance, for every 10 character levels you get 2. And/or Pick 3 items on your current player that you wish to carry over to your new one (perhaps even including tia items). This will allow the veterans a distinct advantage and something for their previous time spent on the game, but not "flood" the game with tons and tons of equipment. The skills are truly the core of this game, and probably will be even more so in the 2.0 incarnation.

Del


Do veterans need more of an advantage than they already have? Game development needs to be more focused on new players. It is a creative idea, but considering the already increased workload on the scarce staff, I don't think that something like this would be possible or even worth the effort.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner
Posts: 604
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Contact:

Re: Wipe?

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Fri May 16, 2008 4:34 pm

I seem to recall a number of "dreams" this mud has experienced. Backing up pfiles from days long past, etc. People were completely infuriated by the lost days/weeks/and even a month once if i remember correctly. I think that part of the anxiety of a pwipe is very similar. I think that if they were "bribed" if you will, by handing them a little bit of what they had before, they will feel more content with the idea of wiping. A complete wipe and begin anew would destroy YEARS of peoples hard work and leave them with nothing but memories. What i am suggesting is that you add a tangible piece (or pieces) of that memory to the new incarnation of toril. It is completely doable, and shoudln't take a ton of admin time.

So in answer to your above stated question, NO i don't think its enough of an advantage. Especially for fogies like me that don't really remember the zones or quests or anything anymore. I had to replace that info with anatomy, physiology, pharmacokinetics, and a number of other things i find useful on a daily basis.

Del
Gormal
Sojourner
Posts: 3914
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:01 am
Location: A Whale's Vagina
Contact:

Re: Wipe?

Postby Gormal » Fri May 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Some people will indeed be upset by a pwipe. But is it really hard work, or just a sick dedication? Anyone who wants to zone now gets to because there is no one else. I've seen a certain invoker zap people every single zone he goes to, multiple times. There's an enchanter who never fails to be the biggest problem that leads to spanks, but is always invited back. There is no incentive for new players to come here with everyone so firmly entrenched in the endgame.

It doesn't matter anyways, because even if the majority of the pbase voted for it, Shev wouldn't do it.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 am

Re: Wipe?

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Fri May 16, 2008 11:01 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:I seem to recall a number of "dreams" this mud has experienced. Backing up pfiles from days long past, etc. People were completely infuriated by the lost days/weeks/and even a month once if i remember correctly. I think that part of the anxiety of a pwipe is very similar. I think that if they were "bribed" if you will, by handing them a little bit of what they had before, they will feel more content with the idea of wiping. A complete wipe and begin anew would destroy YEARS of peoples hard work and leave them with nothing but memories. What i am suggesting is that you add a tangible piece (or pieces) of that memory to the new incarnation of toril. It is completely doable, and shoudln't take a ton of admin time.

So in answer to your above stated question, NO i don't think its enough of an advantage. Especially for fogies like me that don't really remember the zones or quests or anything anymore. I had to replace that info with anatomy, physiology, pharmacokinetics, and a number of other things i find useful on a daily basis.

Del


I understand, I guess we should all get a worn on body slot t shirt that says "I played Toril 1.0!" You know, something for the memories.

I don't understand where this illogical selfishness comes from. Players are more worried about their crap than the mud as a whole. I guess if Toril goes offline because lack of players and they lose their "hard work" then it's ok. But a pwipe? That's just wrong.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Todrael
Sojourner
Posts: 1454
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:01 am
Location: MI, USA
Contact:

Re: Wipe?

Postby Todrael » Sat May 17, 2008 3:16 am

No mud truly dies until the owner turns off the server. Even then, they can be resurrected. I think you'd be surprised how long Toril would stick around, and people continued to zone, and level alts, and all that other stuff, even if all Shev and the staff did was keep it plugged in and turned on...
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests