P-Wipe = Me quitting

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Marix
Sojourner

P-Wipe = Me quitting

Postby Marix » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:48 pm

I personally will quit if there is a player wipe. I don't want to work my way back to where I am now character wise or equipment wise. That doesn't sound like fun to me. So if there is some sort of announcement that they intend to player-wipe I will be leaving the mud.(I doubt i'll be the only one) Since the player base is at where it is now, I hope you all realize a player-wipe if anything is going to make the number of players go down from 69 (currently online) to even less. *and i'm sure a lot of those are people logged into multiple chars in the inn* As it is right now we can have more than one zone group running at a time. With a player wipe we'll probably be down to one zone group a night. These are just my thoughts ...I could be wrong. You should also keep in mind that even with a player wipe and a conversion to 2.0 the players who have been playing this game for years will still have a huge advantage to the newbie just starting out.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:56 pm

There is no player wipe pending.

Please don't mistake player discussion for official word or implication.

Again, there are no plans for a pwipe in the forseeable future.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:01 pm

Glorishan 2.0 thinks pwipe is a good thing. My vote cancels your vote! (see, not every opinion has to be followed up with lengthy reasons!)
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Marix
Sojourner

some misunderstanding..

Postby Marix » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:06 pm

I wasn't saying there was an official player-wipe pending. I was stating that I would simply quit if we decided one was necessary. Please don't confuse it as anything more or less. Also, the reason I went into an explanation was to give my reasons why. I simply wanted people to recognize a player wipe isn't always a good thing when it comes to retaining players.
Glorishan
Sojourner

Re: some misunderstanding..

Postby Glorishan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:17 pm

Marix wrote:I wasn't saying there was an official player-wipe pending. I was stating that I would simply quit if we decided one was necessary. Please don't confuse it as anything more or less. Also, the reason I went into an explanation was to give my reasons why. I simply wanted people to recognize a player wipe isn't always a good thing when it comes to retaining players.

I wasn't making a reference to your explanation, but rather a couple other people who have posted their opinion 1000 times with the same 4 paragraph reason worded 1000 different ways. Latreg thinks we should delete ourselves, Marix will quit, Thilindel will go with the popular vote, and I think everyone is wrong except for me (but mostly Latreg. Oh and Inames, though that's totally unrelated).
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'

Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'

Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Thilindel
Sojourner

Re: some misunderstanding..

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:05 pm

Glorishan wrote:..Thilindel will go with the popular vote..

Hehe, as long as lili's around I will be to! I don't have any real reason to stop playing.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:02 pm

Everyone needs to create their own thread detailing if they will quit, stay, or return in the event of a pwipe. You wouldn't want your protest to go unnoticed in the 3 discussion threads already going now would you?

Its funny, people say that they'll quit if there's a pwipe, but play if there isn't. That really doesn't make any sense. Sure you might get left behind by the hardcore levellers, but you're still going to get to play the game, just not the top zones for a while. If you aren't willing to exp one character up or lose your equipment that makes you nigh invincible, then feel free to take a hike. Maybe you'd discover that Toril does have some mid/low level zones that are just as fun if not more fun than some of the top end ones that yield the spanky gear.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:42 am

I tried to post my opinion on pwiping but the forum timed out when it was saving. Apparently it doesn't handle 75 page opinions well so I'll be blunt. Delete Gormal and make him start over and I'll play again!
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Marix
Sojourner

Postby Marix » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:43 am

ah gormal getting a little preachy there...thought the point of a bbs was posting stuff...stupid me. As for taking a hike I don't think i should have to give up the work i've put in building my chars for the last couple years..darn..i'm such a drag on the mud community for saying that :p
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:54 am

The problem is that you consider playing the game "work". It shouldn't feel like work. It should be fun to level up a new character, and thats the crux of Toril's problems. Anything other than the endgame is boring because the quickest way to max your character is through mindless grinding. If Shev comes through as he's said, and exp is more fun; would you really have a problem levelling then? I've got quite a bit of work put into my characters and equipment too, but I'd be more excited about starting a new game without old baggage. Hell, weaker eq makes things more fun most of the time. (Challenge = Fun)
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:12 am

I kinda see rares and especially quest spells as 'work' I don't like that concept at all :P

Especially when someone's in the same room as you or enters, despite seeing or knowing you're searching, and they search/find it. Causes mayhem and grumpies
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:49 am

Marix wrote:ah gormal getting a little preachy there...thought the point of a bbs was posting stuff...stupid me.

Posting things in relevant threads already started would be a good beginning. Posting your thoughts in a new thread only fragments the BBS and takes away from it's ability to condense similar thoughts into a single place.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Marix
Sojourner

Postby Marix » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:04 am

For me building up characters and collecting equipment for them is FUN. Losing the stuff I've spent years collecting and leveling is NOT FUN. If I thought the game was "work" I wouldn't be playing it. Now why oh why would I specifically go out of my way to post a brand new thread, sure to be noticed by everyone, with the specific title of Player Wipe = Me Quitting. It's almost like I intended for the players of this community to know how strongly I felt about a player wipe being a bad thing. My god, do you think that this proposal put forth by some in our community is something I felt so strongly against I wanted to make my response known? It's almost like I specifically intended to point out that I (and others) would leave in the event of a player wipe. Gee, why would so many dedicated players leaving the mud be such a bad thing...well gosh, I'm just stumped. When the mud is dying, cutting out the characters of those who still play with a player wipe isn't going to save it, it's just going to kill it quicker. You might disagree, that's fine and I respect that. I even understand where your coming from, but honestly...I don't want to be in the same boat as someone who just started playing. I want the level 50s I've wasted days of my life leveling up and equipping. I want the investment of time I put into this game to matter. Anyone ever play Zelda on the NES? First game I ever played that could save. How pissed off were you when a save didn't work and you lost the hours you spent getting Link the cool swords and beating those dungeons and you had to redo it all? But we aren't talking about just hours here people...we are talking years. That's all I really have to say on the matter. I expect about 12 more posts from people saying that there are all ready plenty of threads on this topic...but ya know what..every single one of them read the topic heading to get here.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:10 am

Marix wrote:It's almost like I specifically intended to point out that I (and others) would leave in the event of a player wipe.

It's almost like you don't bother to read the discussion and agree with the people who've already pointed out everything you apparently think we're missing.

No shit some people would leave, but I'd rather have you quit and be gone and have a chance at retaining some new players than watch this place dwindle to nothing as it is now. Dedicated players? Please... if you were dedicated a pwipe wouldn't mean diddly squat to you.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Marix
Sojourner

Postby Marix » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:23 am

We should get rid of resurrect, if your dedicated dying shouldn't matter to you. We should also get rid of protection spells and items. If your dedicated losing your equipment to dragon breath shouldn't matter to you.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:24 am

Couldn't agree more.

Marix
Sojourner

Postby Marix » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:27 am

Have fun playing the game by yourself then.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Tasan wrote:
Marix wrote:It's almost like I specifically intended to point out that I (and others) would leave in the event of a player wipe.

It's almost like you don't bother to read the discussion and agree with the people who've already pointed out everything you apparently think we're missing.

No shit some people would leave, but I'd rather have you quit and be gone and have a chance at retaining some new players than watch this place dwindle to nothing as it is now. Dedicated players? Please... if you were dedicated a pwipe wouldn't mean diddly squat to you.

So Doug. You say the mud shouldn't cater to anyone, yet you damn well want it to cater to what you want, and the funny thing is, if anyone disagrees for any reason, they're wrong, and you're right.

How's that work? I'm just curious. Really, does it take that much practice to be an ass? I thought you had that skill down already. How about you let other people have an opinion without being an ass to them? Is that possible? Just curious.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:23 pm

Doug's already said that the MUD shouldn't cater to his style of casual play, but that the game as a whole needs a pwipe and a set of sweeping changes to survive.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:How about you let other people have an opinion without being an ass to them? Is that possible?

Who pissed in your coffee? I could go into a long diatribe about YOUR posting, but we both know we're on equal terms, so stow it.

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Please use one of the other pwipe threads. No offense to the original poster, but there is nothing of value in this particular thread.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”