Combat Numbers

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:03 pm

Gurns wrote:I find it odd that people will post that the current game is boring, but then offer suggestions for even more of the same. Easier xp, faster leveling, fewer "inconveniences", less immersion. That's what's been happening for the last 6 to 8 years. Are you having more fun now?

Easier xp/faster leveling never really was addressed. Next please.

Inconveniences generally amount to stupid or outmoded coding to "solve" a problem or induce someone to have to do something. I find it inconvenient that I have to wait for a spell to finish before casting another. It would be far easier to be able to stack spells and come back after a minute of spelling up(or you could shorten every spell in the game by a few *'s... hint hint). Inconveniences to me are things that take time for no reason. Walking somewhere takes time because travel takes time. Practicing skills takes time because they can't(or won't) figure out a better way to code it(LOLZ). Memming takes time because if you could get a zone done in less than 2 hours people would bitch faster about uptimes of more than a day.

If you break down the amount of time it takes to play the game you realize that a lot of the game is simply waiting around. If I wanted to do that I could go sit in a bar. Until that simple fact is addressed I don't see how the game is going to be fun no matter what you add.

Immersion only works if you're constantly immersed. If my death mem allows me to get up, take a dump, mix a drink, call my friend to tell him I'm death memming, clean out my car and wax my legs before I'm done, there's a serious problem with immersion.

If you want numbers, fine. Just don't force them on me.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:08 am

Gurns wrote:That means "acting somewhat like a real character in a real fantasy world " shouldn't be something "you can do if you want to". That's the whole premise of D&D, of muds.

No it isn't.

The point of D&D is to build the most mechanically powerful character you can, using all of the available data.
It's long-term fun for one and only one variety of player. That's bad for the mud as a whole.

Do you see what I did there?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:36 am

Gurns wrote:That means "acting somewhat like a real character in a real fantasy world " shouldn't be something "you can do if you want to". That's the whole premise of D&D, of muds.

Ragorn wrote:No it isn't.

The point of D&D is to build the most mechanically powerful character you can, using all of the available data.

DND is an RPG (a ROLE-PLAYING game).

The point of the Six Million Dollar Man was to build the most mechanically powerful character possible, using all of the available data.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:45 pm

This game has never been totally about role-playing. During the golden years we all went through there were plenty of MUD's that had a way stricter and heavily enforced role-play policy. Role-playing was not enforced on Sojourn then and should never be. Truth is most of us don't want to do it. Hell, to this day the only game I've seen with a non-enforced RP policy that actually had engaging RP for more than a handful of people was Anarchy Online and that's gotten slim-to-none recently.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”