End Game Suggestions

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Wargo
Sojourner

End Game Suggestions

Postby Wargo » Tue May 01, 2007 5:57 pm

After about 4 years of hiatus, I see some interesting things happening for the place I once called home for 7 years. Figure I will drop in and voice my 2 cents:

Nowadays, I enjoy watching NBA. While it is not the same as Sojourn, I think we can definitely draw some parallel. The reason why a major sport can go on forever and ever is that eventually the superstars retire. If NBA superstars like Wilt Chamberlain, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, etc. all remain at their prime forever, the game would not be fun anymore. You would never be able to make the room for the next generation of superstars like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, or Dwayne Wade.

Some of you may have guessed where I am going with my idea: Character Retirement. Create an end game solution for all the players, some sort of Hall of Fame memorial for those extraordinary players to be recognized by everyone that come after.

Specifically, the idea is to create an end game quest that is doable by each character individually. Each player who wants his/her character to be memorialized, goes through this quest, in order to get one room custom made for him/her. The players would be able to select the character that they want to retire, with full set of end-game EQ. With each piece of EQ, the player would be able to post a role playing story depicting his/her conquests. Non-retired characters would be able to access this Hall of Fame and read up on each of these individuals and their conquests.

Pros:
1. Create a permanent room on mud for that one player who can be forever memorialized.
2. The draw is to retire with the best set of EQ possible, thus creating an EQ sink for the top line EQ, eg. Divinity Crown from Tiapet
3. Role play stories that can forever be told over and over for generations to come, eg. The Conquest of Yssilk and the Crimson Coalition over the foul Tiamat.
4. Create a cash sink for extra platinums that are floating around by requiring a minimum fee for entering this quest, enough to make it challenging and not readily obtainable by anyone and his/her alt.
5. Replayability. After each main is memorialized, the player would be enticed to start over with a new character, most likely a new class, and would have to go through all the leveling/questing/zoning to finally achieve the same retireable status (probably takes another year). As the process rinses and repeats, players would keep coming back, the Hall of Fame would keep growing, but top-end EQ would not be over-abundant, mid-end EQ would be sold for plats, plats would be limited, and players would keep returning.

What do you think?

Yssilk
Slithering Seer of the Crimson Coalition
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Tue May 01, 2007 8:09 pm

I vote for remorting. Make the char progression and development not end when you reach 50.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:49 pm

It would be great, but in order to be meaningful, it would have to be acknowledged in more than just one room. To truly underscore the achievement, it would have to be saved in a list of retirees so that random mobs could talk about ___ who ___ the ___ (perhaps some Mad Libs-style coding would suffice.)

However, that said, having too many retirees who accomplished epic feats might alter the timeline away from the official FR timeline. I'm not really sure how to reconcile the need to be in line with FR with the need to provide a world whose history players can affect.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:04 am

Last I checked this MUD was 'loosely based on FR' not 'is exactly like FR and will remain so at all costs'.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”