Update?

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Pril
Sojourner

Update?

Postby Pril » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:31 pm

Any update Shev?
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Gormal
Sojourner

Re: Update?

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:33 am

Gonna get this thread deleted too.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:28 am

I don't get the locked lipsness about 2.0.. it just makes the community antsier. Keeping us informed at least let's us know what the deal is. if you look at any of these threads most of the peoples gripes are centered around the fact that you give us information in giant swatches once every 8 months instead of keeping us abreast of the progress in a timlier fashion.

we don't need huge swatches of information, ya they're cool, but little tidbits of info say... BI-WEEKLY, would alleviate almost all of the doubts people have about the project.
Klandal
Sojourner

Postby Klandal » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:14 am

flib wrote:you give us information in giant swatches once every 8 months instead of keeping us abreast of the progress in a timlier fashion.

I imagine the "giant swatches" showing up after lengthy periods of time relates to how 2.0 is being worked on. There are likely large portions of time where concerns other than TorilMUD overtake Shev's priority, whether it's something players would see as valid or something as annoyingly simple as not feeling like it. When Shev feels like working on 2.0 he likely does so with a focused, nearly inexaustible fervor we can relate to in our gaming habits; this is when we see bounds of progress to report. Bi-weekly updates that you call for would likely result in posts dealing less with updates and instead be posts stating that nothing was done since the last post.

It's likely that the majority of the decisions and coding to be done for 2.0 are under the sole sway of Shev. This "Shev's baby" mentality unfortunately makes its progress halt altogether until Shev works on it. Although it's understandable for somebody with such an affinity for his own project to want to fully control its development, I think allowing more help needs to be reconsidered given the gravity of the negative impact from its death-crawl pace.
Ivac ASSOC:: 'man, i'd love to be a woman'
Ivac ASSOC:: 'multiple orgasms'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:59 am

Should really just delete this entire forum. 2.0 stopped being a good joke years ago.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:05 am

hey look, it's been like a month since people have asked questions again and shev still hasn't answered :P that's so unlike him :P *lawl*
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:49 pm

You can't fault him though guys its a free game and you're not paying him to lie to you and string you along. I said it the last 2 times that Shev showed up and he scoffed at it both times so I'll say it again.

Shev will pop in for a week soon and then vanish again for no reason. Its now what we call the status quo.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:11 pm

Gormal wrote:You can't fault him though guys its a free game and you're not paying him to lie to you and string you along. I said it the last 2 times that Shev showed up and he scoffed at it both times so I'll say it again.

Shev will pop in for a week soon and then vanish again for no reason. Its now what we call the status quo.

Gormal here's the issue. Yes it's a free game. And yes we can't expect him to do work. But since we all invest time here and this is a community I think that I'm not asking for too much when i ask for an update.

Updates don't have to be hey its done. It could be "Hey guys I've been busy irl and haven't had a chance to work on it since the last update." Most people will understand but some communication goes a long way.
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:42 pm

Its been more then established that Shev has no time to work on the MUD, and no inclination to communicate with his playerbase. If you haven't accepted it by now, you're what I like to call 'adrift'.

And yes, you can expect the staff to do work on even a free game if they've made promises to do so. To say one thing, and do another... its called lying, lets stop pussyfooting around. Regardless, Shev aint gonna finish 2.0, he aint gonna talk to his playerbase, and he aint gonna sincerely apologize for it. Might as well learn to live with it.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:48 pm

I find it interesting that this topic was directed as a question to Shevy and other people posted here.

What's so hard about shutting up and playing the game we still have now without further comments on the development of 2.0? Seriously.

If you don't want to play anymore because 2.0 is taking too long, or for any other reason, I think a lot of people would be happy to hear that there will be one less whiner on the board.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Because even if Shevarash does eventually answer the question, it'd be just another empty promise or hollow apology. I've been playing, I just choose to be vocal about the neglectful attitude Shevarash has. 2.0 is an issue still because so many things are "on hold" until 2.0 goes live.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:55 pm

Have you considered the possibility that being vocal doesn't help in the slightest and that you come across as an ass in the process?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Have you considered that I'm right, and that the reason the pbase is so poor is because of the things I've been an ass about for quite some time now and maybe if Shev had acted on them years ago, the game wouldn't be gasping for life. Or I could be at fault for everything.

It really amuses me that people consider me more of an ass than Shevarash, at least I tell the truth.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:14 pm

i'm a little miffed because updates were promised and they werent delivered. ya im playing atm too but dont promise if you dont deliver. that just leads to as i said earlier multiple gripe posts about time vs promised content. there needs to be one time when the developers big plans, menzo, guildhalls, 2.0 etc. don't take 3-5 years more than original estimations, that's just cruddy timekeeping :P.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:34 am

Kegor wrote:Have you considered the possibility that being vocal doesn't help in the slightest and that you come across as an ass in the process?

#gag @gormallist doesn't work on bbs :(
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:42 pm

Sticking your fingers in your ears and humming won't change the fact that I'm right.
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:40 pm

Gormal wrote:Sticking your fingers in your ears and humming won't change the fact that I'm right.

But then you'll be right and quiet - which in his mind is even better.

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”