Some questions about 2.0 and the future of Toril

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
kwirl
Sojourner

Some questions about 2.0 and the future of Toril

Postby kwirl » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:25 pm

With Toril 2.0 being a complete rewrite of code, will this allow the developers to finally accept monetary compensation for their code? I mean more active donations, and possibly integrating a Medievia-style donation reward system? Perhaps the ability to purchase temporary xp multipliers, etc.

Also, how familiar do I have to be with d&d rules to enjoy toril 2.0? In all honesty I haven't touched roleplaying since 2nd edition was relatively new, and my discussion with the newer incarnations have given me even more motivation to avoid their overly complex rule systems like the plague.

If you are saying that picking up Toril 2.0 will be as easy (relatively) as it was when I first started playing so many years ago, I might be willing to return as an active player, if for no other reason than to help support a temporary boost in player activity.

If I have overlooked a thread about the possibility or planning of accepting donations with Toril 2.0, my apologies and I would appreciate a clue as to the title so I can search it out myself to read.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Re: Some questions about 2.0 and the future of Toril

Postby Disoputlip » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:53 pm

Diku codebase is so much more than the combat system.

Here are some examples where there is Diku leftovers:
The dogs in waterdeep that eat rations and "taste" if there is poison in.
Some of the spellnames, i think armor (abazak) and heal (pzar)
Alas, you cannot go that way. . . . is a 3rd example.

I guess at some point you could call it a complete rewrite, but there will always be leftovers.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Re: Some questions about 2.0 and the future of Toril

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:05 pm

It's not a complete rewrite, only of the core game play engines. Even though there is very very little Diku code left, we would have to literally start a new code project from scratch to get away from the license restrictions, and that is not the intent of this project.

Nor is it our intent to start collecting money for this game, or rewarding in-game items for donations. You can currently donate if you wish via the link on the home page and Announcemetns forum.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”