Downloading and Installing Tintin

Scripts and support for your favorite MUD client.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Downloading and Installing Tintin

Postby Jhorr » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:38 am

Please explain, for a Linux novice. I have Red Hat 9, and was using the GNOME desktop.

I downloaded Tintin++ and the helpfile said I needed 'Readline' (what is this?) so I downloaded that and installed it.

Then I './configure', 'make', 'make install' tintin when in the 'src' folder and it said it compiled in a terminal and said it was installed succesfully but i couldn't find an icon anywhere to run the program. Now I can see lots of files in my home directory but can't get any of them to load tintin.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:21 am

Disclaimer: Someone should remove the parenthesis keys from my keyboard.

Readline is a library that allows you to do basic editing of the input (command) line with keys and key combinations, allows command line history and such. In general what you would expect from any decent console program. (Most distributions tend to not install source code for such things unless you somewhere say you plan to do some sort of (code) development, but they will have the compiled library installed)

(The keys I tend to use most are Ctrl+A (home), Ctrl+E (end), Meta-B (move cursor back one word), Meta+F (move cursor forward one word), Ctrk+K (delete the current line (from cursor to end of line), Ctrl+W / Meta-Backspace (delete previous word (like Ctrl+W from ->here<- would delete the here word)), Ctrl+Y (yank something copied or deleted), Ctrl+S (forward command line search), Ctrl+R (backward command line search) and probably several others I can't think of atm... (The drawback of this is I have to consentrate real hard to avoid doing those same key combinations when in a windoze program. Like stupid Eudora sends a mail on Ctrl+E :P) Anyway, typing the command "man readline" in a *term of some sort will probably give you the whole list of what you can do.

(another thing: meta-key is often alt-key on the pc-keyboard, but some unix-keyboards actually have them seperate, thus the distinction)

As for icons, unless you install precompiled binaries of packages made specifically for your linux distribution, not a single linux program will even attemt to make an icon on your desktop (and if they did, 100% would probably fail by ~95% of the users ;)) And even most packages don't bother with icons...

So, what you end up with is you have to either put up and icon yourself, or, type the command in a *term (seem to recall gnome-terminal is default under gnome ;)). Most likely you can try to type something like "tt++" (don't know why, but unless you changed something before doing "make", the tintin-executable will be called "tt++" and most likely installed in your /usr/local/bin directory if you did "make install" as the root-user) and you will get (most likely confusing) a few lines of text, and that is that... (Welcome to the world of linux ;) Most console programs are like that; annyoing, confusing, unintuitive, brainless for any but the developer, etc... And that is most likely why linux scares the crap out of so many people...

Anyway, if typing "tt++" won't work, then there could be several solutions, so no need to take that until that might happen. (It's likely to be $PATH, and where the installed program ended up.)

To actually use tintin, you have to get it to make a connection... Not sure how good the help-files on that subject really is, but the magic word is #session. And then you can begin typing #aliases, #actions (triggers), functions, and other stuff. To make it simpler, just put it all in a file and start tintin with tt+ <somefile>, like for instance "tt++ global_macros"

An excerpt (read: the useful(?) stuff) of my "global_macros" file

Code: Select all

#nop --------------------------------------------------------------------------
#nop
#nop For using === as comments, as that looks a little easier to read in nop
#nop this config file.
#nop
#alias {===} {#nop}
#alias {%} {#nop}

#nop
#nop First some general stuff
#nop
=== What type of messages that should be shown / hidden
#alias {debug-} {#echo; #message {actions} off; #message {aliases} off; #message {highlights} off; #message {variables} off}
#alias {debug+} {#echo; #message {actions} on; #message {aliases} on; #message {highlights} on; #message {variables} on}
#echo
debug-

=== Show keyboard input at the bottom, while mud output flows over
#split

=== Some aliases to connect to the muds I visit...
#alias {torilgz} {#session torilgz localhost 9999}
#alias {toril} {#session toril 67.119.35.125 9999}
#alias {chatmudgz} {#session torilgz localhost 8888}
#alias {chatmud} {#session toril 64.69.68.30 8888}

#nop
#nop Some aliases, trigger etc that hopefulle should work on most muds...
#nop
=== To avoid being disconnect if idling a little too much... :-)
#alias {noidle+} {#gag {#10 SECONDS TO TICK!!!}; #action {#TICK!!!} {save}; #ticksize 360; #tickon;}
#alias {noidle-} {#ungag {#10 SECONDS TO TICK!!!}; #tickoff;}

=== Stupid spelling errors
#alias {gsya} {gsay}

#nop
#nop Some aliases, triggers etc for the sojourn mud...
#nop
=== See experience difference
#action {Experience Progress: >%0 } {#showme {                    0|    |    |    |    |   5|0   |    |    |    |    |100};#ifexist {lastexp} {#showme {Last known exp:       $
lastexp}}; #var {lastexp} $0}
#alias {exp} #system perl -e 'print ((length "$lastexp") * 2 . "%\\\\n")'

=== Remember the tells
=== Crashes tintin if too many tells, so I have it off by default
#var {tells} {null}
#alias {tellsave+} {#var {tells} {null}; #action {%0 tells you %1} {#var {tells} $tells {$$0 - $$1}}; #alias {tells} {#getlistlength {tellst} {$tells}; #loop {2,$tellst} {#get
itemnr {tellst} {%0} {$tells}; #showme $tellst};}; #alias {tellsrm} {#var {tells} {null};};}
#alias {tellsave-} {#unaction {%0 tells you %1}; #unalias {tells}; #unalias {tellsrm}; #unvar {tells}; #unvar {tellst}}

=== More looting
#alias {gc} {get coins}
#alias {gcc} {get coins corpse}

=== Combat & Tanking
#alias {a} {assist}
#alias {zz} {scan}
#alias {ret} {retreat}
#alias {dis} {disengage}

=== If the mob switches target
#action {switches targets..} {#showme {----- ALERT! -----}}

=== Stand if falling
#action {You are knocked off of your feet.} {#showme {--- Trying to stand up ---}; stand} {9}
#action {You stagger, and fall to your knees!} {#showme {--- Trying to stand up ---}; stand} {9}
#action {The powerful sweep sends you crashing to the ground!} {#showme {--- Trying to stand up ---}; stand} {9}
#action {sends you sprawling.} {#showme {--- Trying to stand up ---}; stand} {9}
#action {does an acrobatic maneuver in battle, tripping you.} {#showme {--- Trying to stand up ---}; stand} {9}
#alias {k} {kneel}
#alias {kk} {stand}

=== Fleeing and stuff
#alias {-} {abort}

=== Misc stuff
#alias {date} {\time}
#alias {good} {who good}
#alias {goodies} {who good}
#alias {evil} {who evil}
#alias {evils} {who evil}
#alias {peace} {say peace; open gates} === To open the west gates of Leuthilspar
#var {hesten} {horse}
#alias {mo} {mount $hesten}
#alias {setthest} {#var {hesten} %0}
#alias {umo} {dismount}
#alias {o} {order}
#alias {of} {order followers}
#alias {off} {order followers flee}
#alias {ofa} {order followers assist $tanken}
#alias {ofm} {order followers assist me}
#alias {ofk} {order followers kill}
#action {You would bash your brains out on the roof, better dismount.} {#showme {--- Dismounting ---}; dismount}
#action {There is a slight breeze as the dusts swirl around and condense} {look in portal}
#action {Someone group-says 'hidden?'} {gsay Yuppers, whoever you are, you're hidden!}

#highlight {reverse} {starts casting a spell.}
#highlight {reverse} {starts casting a spell called '%0'.}
#highlight {reverse} {starts casting an offensive spell.}
#highlight {reverse} {starts casting an offensive spell called '%0'.}

Or you can do "tt+ macroes.enchanter", or as I do "tt++ macroes.lenefir" and have that read in the global one, and then define its own stuff, something like

#nop
#nop For using === as comments, as that looks a little easier to read in nop
#nop this config file.
#nop
#alias {===} {#nop}
#alias {%} {#nop}

#nop
#nop First some general stuff
#nop
#read global_macroes

#nop
#nop Some aliases, triggers etc for the sojourn mud...
#nop
=== Logging in
#action {Please enter your term type (<CR> ansi, '?' help): } {#cr};  #nop 01 Generic
#action {Do you wish to create a new character? Y/N} {n; #unaction {Please enter your term type (<CR> ansi, '?' help): }}
#action {By what name do you wish to be known?} {Pinky; #unaction {Do you wish to create a new character? Y/N}}
#action {Password:} {EeeeeeeK; #unaction {By what name do you wish to be known?}}
#action {Welcome to Sojourn III Beta!} {#unaction {Password:}}

=== Spellcasting
#action {You lost your concentration!} {#showme {----- Unable to finish spell! -----}} {9}

=== Casting Enchanter spells and detecting worn out spells
=== Level 1
#alias {deinv} {cast 'detect invisibility'}
#nop {Your eyes tingle.}
#nop {Invisible things vanish again.}
%
#alias {demag} {cast 'detect magic'}
#nop {Your eyes tingle.}
#nop {The magical side of things is less visible.}
%
#alias {mm} {cast 'magic missile'}
%
#alias {mflame} {cast 'mage flame'}
#nop {A bright, unwavering blue flame appears over your head!}
#nop {Your magical blue flame winks out of existence.}
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Nassis
Sojourner

Postby Nassis » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:47 pm

Linux, as most unix-like things, is user friendly but not newbie friendly.
Windows is the opposite - great for newbies but there is very little possibility for automation and doing things more efficiently as you get experienced.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:42 pm

Ok, got it installed and figured out how to make the icon and stuff.

Now, whenever I try to run it by typing "./tt++ 67.119.35.125 9999' it says it can't open the chat port and closes.

Not sure how to navigate around this one.

any ideas?
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:06 am

First off: Not all unix-programs are as badly documented as this one...

Second: Try one of the following (in order of difficulty level I think)

1) Make a file in your home directory called .tintinrc (if it doesn't exist already) which contains the following line(s):

# Enable or disable the chat feature.
ENABLE : 0~
If you have the file already, then search for that line and modify if it says something else.

2) Make a directory called .tintin++ (mkdir .tintin++) if doesn't exist already, and place a file called tt.conf (again if it doesn't exist already) with the same contents as above.

3) Locate a file called tt.conf (locate tt.conf). It's probably/hopefully located in /usr/share/tintin++ or something like that). Make a directory called .tintin++, then either copy that file and then modify it, or modify it at it's location (probably need to be root-user for that) and then make a symbolic link to the .tintin++ directory (ln -s /usr/share/tintin++/tt.conf ~/.tintin++/tt.conf)

4) Do strace tt++ 2>&1 | grep open, and look for which files it tries to open that isn't library files, and in which order it does it. Then look at these files, and modify one of them you find easiest to edit to have the content listed above.

5) If none of these works, then swear and curse loudly for a long time, find your [oops... edited for the poor souls out there]
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"

--Futurama
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:18 pm

Jhorr, first of all, if you are learning tintin, you might as well download Tinyfugue, because its a lot more powerful, and the learning curve is almost as steep. And when you are all said and done, you will be happier with TF.

Otherwise if you insist, here's how to do real basic tintin:

run the program:

./tt++

run the program and load a text file of your triggers and stuff:

./tt++ mytrigs.txt

once in the program, connect to a mud:

#ses sessionname host port
Example: #ses dude torilmud.org 9999

If you wanted to play two muds or multi (as in to switch eq between chars)
you type another #ses dudette torilmud.org 9999
then you can type #dude and #dudette to switch between them.

To set a trigger:
#ac {pattern} {trigger}
Examples:
#ac {sends you sprawling} {st}
#ac {sending your%1dagger%2} {get dagger;wield dagger}
#ac {teaches you more about %1...} {prac %1}

to unset:
#unac {sends you sprawling}
Aliases:

#al {feedme} {get flagon bag;drink flagon;put flagon bag}

to unset:
#unal {feedme}

There are some basics. Variables get tough if you want to advanced things, and there is no "classes" like in zmud, to my knowledge. If you are brand new to tintin, seriously use TF. Look me up I will help you get started. In 10 minutes you will be fine with the basics of TinyFugue.

Chris
Wobb
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:33 pm

Thanks for the pointers. I'm sure I'll have more issues. Linux is a beast! Which distros do you guys use anyway? I have RedHat 9 but the sound hasn't worked so I'm waiting for Suse 9 to arrive. Now I think I'd like to try Debian though.
othelil
Sojourner

Postby othelil » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:58 pm

Lenefir wrote:

=== See experience difference
#action {Experience Progress: >%0 } {#showme {                    0|    |    |    |    |   5|0   |    |    |    |    |100};#ifexist {lastexp} {#showme {Last known exp:       $
lastexp}}; #var {lastexp} $0}
#alias {exp} #system perl -e 'print ((length "$lastexp") * 2 . "%\\\\n")'

Very nice.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular.

Return to “MUD Client Help”